Showcase [Showcase] Mechanical Moon

ManaUser

Brain of Cthulhu
MechMoon.gif

Need to know what phase the moon is deep in your underground lair? Jimmy won't give you a sextant? No problem with the Mechanical Moon!
MoonPhaseNW.png

MoonPhaseWW.png
This is another derivative of my "cyclic memory" design, although in this case it's simply linked to a day sensor to track the cycle. This design also announces the phase each morning, but if you don't want that you could actually drop half the logic gates, since the process of turning segments on and turning them off is exactly the same. For reasons I don't need to get into I was trying to avoid using red wire when I made this, it could perhaps be wired a little more gracefully if I had, but I think this is reasonable good. One cool thing about this is the "moon" actually shows on the map, and seems to update live, so you can check the phase of the moon no matter where you are. The Steampunk walls (seen only in the gif) were added just for show.

This is awesome, man! It looks like you put a lot of thought and effort into this!

I want a dl link
I don't have one, unfortunately. I made this on a multiplayer server. You'll have to build it yourself.

This is awesome, man! It looks like you put a lot of thought and effort into this!
Thanks. Honestly the only hard part was figuring out how to not have wires touching that shouldn't (made worse by avoiding red, though it still would have been a little tricky) I think the "relays" in the middle work out well though. Once I had that sorted out it was pretty smooth sailing and didn't take that long to build.

A tip for anyone wanting to recreate it: Make sure you place all the logic gates before you connect the wires. It's important that only one of the lamps in the top row be lit, and trying to place them with wires connected will have it changing around on you. The state of the lamps in the bottom row doesn't matter though.

Back
Top Bottom