Tool Simple Tinkerer improvement concept: prevent player from skipping over desired prefix/reforge

Frak

Terrarian
The Goblin Tinkerer is notoriously stingy and annoying to work with. No one wants to leave it to RNG to get the modifiers you want on their equipment but right now that's the way the game is designed.
As a simple quality of life enhancement, I suggest the following modification to the Reforging menu:
Allow the player to select (not apply) their desired reforge in an easy way, ei from a list of IDs
Prevent the player from reforging when the item's prefix matches their selected reforge.

Functionally, this should let you tell the game "I want legendary" on your particular sword. The game won't give it to you, but you'll be free to spam the "reforge" button as fast as you want without having to worry about skipping the reforge you want when you get it. You'd be able to spam click reforge as long as you have enough money to get your desired reforges and the game will automatically save you from hitting the button again if you reach the prefix you asked for.
It changes nothing about the way the process yields new reforges: it's still totally random and might cost you loads of coins and take dozens of attempts. It's relatively balanced in that way and functionally simple.

I'm limited in my knowledge of programming and I know nothing about modding Terraria, but I see this would function in the following way:
1. Tell the game what reforge you want by text input or some UI element
2. Read the reforge on the item in the reforging slot.
3. Compare it to the desired reforge as specified by the user.
4. If the reforge matches, close the menu (or drop the item or jerk the cursor away from the button or some other action to prevent an erroneous reforge)

I don't know how to mod but I think this sort of a tool would be a great way to improve the game in just a small but balanced way. I put this out here for anyone to attempt it if they should choose.

Semi-automate the process and have the game hit the reforge button rapidly and automatically for the player until the desired reforge is reached. Same kind of concept as the above but doesn't require the player to break their mouse.

Back
Top Bottom