Tool SimpleTerrariaBackup - saves/etc. backup tool for Windows users

Esbee

Terrarian

Tired of losing hundreds of hours of progress because of corrupted/disappearing/broken/etc. saves? Want the ability to make a snapshot of all your mods, saves, and game files before updating something so that you can quickly revert if something goes wrong? Just want the option to rollback to any number of previous backups for any ol' reason? Then SimpleTerrariaBackup might be the tool for you!

This is a small application written in MS-DOS Batch (using command prompt, not actual DOS obviously) to backup any (vanilla or modded) Windows-edition Terraria saves, mods, and game files. Why another backup utility you ask? I'm not a fan of compiled tools when it's not necessary, others came with too many unrelated features, some were reliant on a specific Terraria version and/or didn't allow for an unlimited number of backups, and... well... Batch is super fun and I was dying to go full-blown with the quickie script I had written for myself previously.

Current Features:
  • Backup Types:
    • Backup: SavesOnly-vanilla (vanilla "Worlds" and "Players" folders)
    • Backup: SavesOnly-modloader (tModLoader "Worlds" and "Players" folders)
    • Backup: SavesAndMods-modloader (entire "ModLoader" folder)
    • Backup: GameFiles (entire Terraria game folder)
    • v2.2.0+: AutoBackup: SavesOnly (vanilla or tModLoader "Worlds" and "Players" folders every X minutes while the game is running)
  • Support:
    • Both vanilla and tModLoader files can be backed up
    • Works with all previous and future versions of (Windows edition) Terraria
    • Non-Steam and non-standard installs can be used with minimal manual config edits
    • Both 32bit and 64bit 7-Zip supported
  • Quality of Life:
    • No limit to the amount of backups you can make
    • No auto-"old backup" deletion
    • Backups use timestamps in the folder/name, for automatic organization
    • Attempted automatic detection of drive/folder paths (Steam-users only)
    • v2.1.1+: Micro RAM footprint (not including what is used by 7-Zip itself, obviously)
    • v2.2.0+: Adjustable AutoBackup timer/limits ("timer" menu in v2.3.0+, "limits" option requires config edit for safety)
    • v2.2.0+: Configurable 7-Zip compression levels (v2.3.0+: Separate options for manual vs auto backups)
  • Misc
    • Completely open, non-compiled code
    • 240 text/background color combos to choose from
    • ANSI visuals for an appropriately retro terminal/BBS feel :joy:
Requirements:
  • Windows 7 and above (XP/Vista *might* work, but I'm not sure)
  • 32/64bit 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org)
  • Terraria
  • (optional) tModLoader
Preview:
(slightly outdated, but you get the idea)
stb-preview.jpg

Now with 240 color combos, most of which will make your eyes bleed! :zombie:
stb-preview-colors.jpg
How to Use:
  1. Unzip the download wherever you want (your backups will be stored here as well, so pick a convenient spot)
  2. Run SimpleTerrariaBackup.bat (you may need admin privileges)
  3. Settings will auto-generate, but if your paths aren't located you'll need make manual changes to the generated "config.cmd" file (see "SETTINGS" in the README.txt for info)
  4. (Optional) Configure any options you want to change
  5. Choose your desired backup type
  6. Let it run, and you're done!
It is highly recommended that you double check the first few backups you make, just to be sure everything is working as intended. If you're on a lower end computer, you will probably want to adjust the 7-Zip Compression settings before use (especially if you plan to use Auto Backup).

How to Restore:

Unzip the backup you want to use into the appropriate folder and say "yes" to overwriting the files. The exact location will depend on your system and what kind of backup you've made. You should be able to get a hint as to where to unzip your files if you open "config.cmd" in a text editor and see how the paths were configured. The examples in the "SETTINGS" section in the README.txt will give you a general idea of where a standard Steam-version of Terraria will have everything located.

Notes:
  • READ THE README, especially if you are using any custom config options
  • Backups are stored wherever the SimpleTerrariaBackup.bat file is located
  • Games with lots of saves or large mods will take awhile to backup, especially on higher compression level settings. Delete what you aren't using (or lower your compression levels) to make it faster
  • Feel free to edit the code all you want, aside from selling it or making it malicious in any way. It's not the greatest or most organized code out there, but should be fairly logical. Just remember that you MUST open and save the .bat file in ANSI. UTF will completely break the functionality as all ANSI characters will get corrupted, and encoding to ANSI after opening in UTF will not work properly
Future Plans:
  • Any bugs that pop up
  • MORE AND BETTER ANSI, when the mood strikes :joy:
Changelog:
Code:
v2.3.0 (2018-02-25)
- 7-Zip Compression options split into two: Manual Backups and Auto Backups
- Menu for Auto Backup Timer added
- Sub menus for new split 7-Zip compression options added
- Fixed a bug where auto backups were using the wrong (older) timestamp
- "7zipCompressionManual" config option added (defaults to 5, aka "normal")
- "7zipCompressionAuto" config option added (defaults to 3, aka "fast")

v2.2.0 (2018-02-23)
- 7-Zip Compression menu added!
- AutoBackup: SavesOnly feature has been added!
- "AutoModeLimit" config option added (1-999, sets a safeguard for AutoBackup)
- "AutoModTimer" config option added (30-999, number of minutes between each AutoBackup)
- "AutoModeProcess" config option added (the name of your game .exe, for use by AutoBackup)
- Log file creation if a backup fails during the 7-Zip step, particularly useful when using AutoBackup
- Small adjustments to most areas to compensate for the new features
- Some performance optimization in how most menus work

v2.1.1 (2018-02-22)
- MAJOR HOTFIX: Major memory leaks discovered and fixed

v2.1.0 (2018-02-22)
- Another reskin of almost every aspect. LOTS more (and cleaner) ANSI graphics abound, yay!
- Rearranged menu flow a fair amount
- Added a "reset colors" option
- Replaced the whole "mode" concept. Now all save methods are on the main menu
- Fixed a bug that caused the wrong menu to show if an invalid color option was used
- Fixed bug where vanilla SavesOnly backups could be attempted when a required location didn't exist
- Made the console window slightly larger
- Changed screen progression after a backup is complete. Now requires pressing ENTER specifically to prevent accidental screen skips
- Added a more obvious screen if there is an error during the backup process

v2.0.0 (2018-02-20)
- Complete rewrite
- Vanilla save support
- Non-Steam Terraria support
- Support for custom file paths in general
- Console color options
- Config file creation/usage
- More/better path checking
- ANSI graphics
- README.txt creation
- Changed menu method, now requires pressing ENTER after a choice
- More error checking, particularly if 7-Zip has any problems

v1.0.0 (2018-02-18)
- Initial release

Attachments

• SimpleTerrariaBackup-v2.1.1.7z
    9.5 KB · Views: 214
  • SimpleTerrariaBackup-v2.2.0.7z
    12.2 KB · Views: 186
  • SimpleTerrariaBackup-v2.3.0.7z
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,281
Last edited:
Version 2.0.0 has been released! Yes, an entire version change already... but it was a MASSIVE rewrite of absolutely everything, turning a simple tool into something very convoluted under the hood... but hey, I'm nothing if not a walking contradiction. The core functionality is basically the same (albeit better), but the biggest difference is that it is now no longer tModLoader-specific! ANY saves can be backed up, thanks to the usage of an external config file that users can change however they want (IMPORTANT: read the README.txt before messing with that file... you can easily mess things up otherwise).

Code:
v2.0.0 (2018-02-20)
- Complete rewrite
- Vanilla save support
- Console color options
- ANSI graphics
- README.txt creation

Let me know how it works, and if you need help with the custom path stuff. The README.txt should cover everything, but it may be too confusing... I haven't slept in a few days, so I'm not even sure where I am right now. Here, I assume... but you never know.

Another fairly large update, though most of the work was in remaking the ANSI to be a bit cleaner and more consistent. A few minor bugs were squashed as well. 2.0.0 users don't need to update, but I'd recommend it for a better experience. Scratch that, 2.1.1 has been released as an emergency hotfix due to (now fixed) memory leaks. It is highly recommended for anyone using an old version of this tool to update.

The biggest important changes are the removal of the tedious "toggle mode" process, and requiring ENTER be pressed during certain screens rather than any key (which had a habit of accidentally triggering, making it unclear if a backup was successful).

*EDIT*
2.1.1 has been released as an emergency hotfix. A ton of major memory leaks were discovered and have been patched. Sorry about that! As cool as Batch is, it has some quirks I forgot about. Everything should be golden now though... extended stress testing never had it go above 2MB RAM usage (stabilizing at around 1.7MB), and most of that was from 7-Zip's side of things.

Code:
v2.1.1 (2018-02-22)

v2.1.0 (2018-02-22)
- Another reskin of almost every aspect. LOTS more (and cleaner) ANSI graphics abound, yay!
- Fixed a bug that caused the wrong menu to show if an invalid color option was used
- Fixed bug where vanilla SavesOnly backups could be attempted when a required location didn't exist
- Changed screen progression after a backup is complete. Now requires pressing ENTER specifically to prevent accidental screen skips

Last edited:
Another big update, bringing this tool pretty close to the "feature complete" point of practical usefulness. v2.1.1 users do not need to update if they don't want to as there are no bug fixes this time around, but as always I recommend it.

Code:
v2.2.0 (2018-02-23)
- "AutoModTimer" config option added (30-999, number of minutes between each AutoBackup)
- "AutoModeProcess" config option added (the name of your game .exe, for use by AutoBackup)
- Log file creation if a backup fails during the 7-Zip step, particularly useful when using AutoBackup

The two primary features this update adds are actually pretty major changes that can cause issues if not used properly, so...

READ THE INCLUDED README.txt!

Last edited:
v2.3.0 has been released (you can get it here), bringing some quality of life changes to the 7-Zip Compression and Auto Backup features. 2.2.0 users will need to redo their 7-Zip compression setting if they changed it, as that setting has been split into two new ones. This is not a required update, though there was a slight bug in 2.2.0's timestamp usage on auto backups and I personally found the split 7-Zip compression options a must-have.

Code:
v2.3.0 (2018-02-25)

And with this update, we are feature complete and hopefully bug-free! If you have a feature request, let me know and I'll see if I can add it in... but otherwise this should be a done deal unless I get the urge to add in weird commandline switches or something. I'd rather not work on features that nobody will use, so if you want something to make the backing up process better/easier: tell me.

Last edited:
Hey, I need some help. My documents folder is named with cyrillic letters, so the program can`t figure it out and fails to locate my save. Is there a solution to this? Thank you!

[.] My Documents found at C:\Users\xxxxxx\OneDrive\?????????
[.] 7-Zip: C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe
[NOTE] No vanilla players found, vanilla backups won't be possible
[NOTE] No vanilla worlds found, vanilla backups won't be possible
[NOTE] No modloader found, tModLoader backups won't be possible
[NOTE] No modloader worlds found, tModLoader backups won't be possible
[NOTE] No modloader players found, tModLoader backups won't be possible
[NOTE] No game files found, game file backups won't be possible

[ERROR] No valid save locations where found, check the README.txt
Press any key to continue . . .

set "ModloaderPath=C:\Users\xxxxxxx\OneDrive\Документы\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader"
set "ModloaderWorldsPath=C:\Users\xxxxx\OneDrive\Документы\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\Worlds"
set "ModloaderPlayersPath=C:\Users\xxxxx\OneDrive\Документы\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\Players"

Tired of losing hundreds of hours of progress because of corrupted/disappearing/broken/etc. saves? Want the ability to make a snapshot of all your mods, saves, and game files before updating something so that you can quickly revert if something goes wrong? Just want the option to rollback to any number of previous backups for any ol' reason? Then SimpleTerrariaBackup might be the tool for you!

This is a small application written in MS-DOS Batch (using command prompt, not actual DOS obviously) to backup any (vanilla or modded) Windows-edition Terraria saves, mods, and game files. Why another backup utility you ask? I'm not a fan of compiled tools when it's not necessary, others came with too many unrelated features, some were reliant on a specific Terraria version and/or didn't allow for an unlimited number of backups, and... well... Batch is super fun and I was dying to go full-blown with the quickie script I had written for myself previously.

Current Features:
  • Backup Types:
    • v2.2.0+: AutoBackup: SavesOnly (vanilla or tModLoader "Worlds" and "Players" folders every X minutes while the game is running)
  • Support:
    • Non-Steam and non-standard installs can be used with minimal manual config edits
  • Quality of Life:
    • v2.1.1+: Micro RAM footprint (not including what is used by 7-Zip itself, obviously)
    • v2.2.0+: Adjustable AutoBackup timer/limits ("timer" menu in v2.3.0+, "limits" option requires config edit for safety)
    • v2.2.0+: Configurable 7-Zip compression levels (v2.3.0+: Separate options for manual vs auto backups)
  • Misc
Requirements:
  • 32/64bit 7-Zip (7-Zip)
  • Terraria
  • (optional) tModLoader
Preview:
View attachment 194653

View attachment 194654
How to Use:
  1. Unzip the download wherever you want (your backups will be stored here as well, so pick a convenient spot)
  3. Settings will auto-generate, but if your paths aren't located you'll need make manual changes to the generated "config.cmd" file (see "SETTINGS" in the README.txt for info)
It is highly recommended that you double check the first few backups you make, just to be sure everything is working as intended. If you're on a lower end computer, you will probably want to adjust the 7-Zip Compression settings before use (especially if you plan to use Auto Backup).

How to Restore:

Unzip the backup you want to use into the appropriate folder and say "yes" to overwriting the files. The exact location will depend on your system and what kind of backup you've made. You should be able to get a hint as to where to unzip your files if you open "config.cmd" in a text editor and see how the paths were configured. The examples in the "SETTINGS" section in the README.txt will give you a general idea of where a standard Steam-version of Terraria will have everything located.

Notes:
  • Games with lots of saves or large mods will take awhile to backup, especially on higher compression level settings. Delete what you aren't using (or lower your compression levels) to make it faster
  • Feel free to edit the code all you want, aside from selling it or making it malicious in any way. It's not the greatest or most organized code out there, but should be fairly logical. Just remember that you MUST open and save the .bat file in ANSI. UTF will completely break the functionality as all ANSI characters will get corrupted, and encoding to ANSI after opening in UTF will not work properly
Future Plans:
  • Any bugs that pop up
Changelog:
Code:
v2.3.0 (2018-02-25)

v2.2.0 (2018-02-23)

v2.1.1 (2018-02-22)

v2.1.0 (2018-02-22)

v2.0.0 (2018-02-20)
- Complete rewrite
- Vanilla save support
- Console color options
- ANSI graphics
- README.txt creation

v1.0.0 (2018-02-18)
- Initial release

Current Features:
  • Backup Types:
  • Support:
  • Quality of Life:
  • Misc
Requirements:
  • 32/64bit 7-Zip (7-Zip)
  • Terraria
  • (optional) tModLoader
Preview:
View attachment 194653

View attachment 194654
How to Use:

How to Restore:

Notes:
Future Plans:
  • Any bugs that pop up
Changelog:
Code:
v2.3.0 (2018-02-25)

v2.2.0 (2018-02-23)

v2.1.1 (2018-02-22)

v2.1.0 (2018-02-22)

v2.0.0 (2018-02-20)
- Complete rewrite
- Vanilla save support
- Console color options
- ANSI graphics
- README.txt creation

v1.0.0 (2018-02-18)
- Initial release
It will work with the latest 1.3 tmodloader right?

I can't change the modLoader paths, everytime i change it , it keeps reverting to the default one

Last edited:
I found an error in the batch code at lines 195,196 and 197 where it's looking for "\My Games\Terraria\Modloader\" causing tModLoader directories to break and revert config back to NONE.
Just by changing these lines and adding a t to ModLoader fixes this issue "\My Games\Terraria\tModloader\"

This seems to be one of the only auto backup programs I can find for Terraria, and thankyou for putting such a great amount of effort into a simple yet powerful open source batch <3
(I've attached a fixed copy for those who don't know how to or aren't confident in editing the batch, call it an unofficial 2.3.1 haha)

Attachments

• SimpleTerrariaBackup2.3.1.zip
    8.8 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom