So...the Slime Mount.

FlakMaster

The Destroyer
While most threads here seem to talk about end-game, I'm still casually strolling along in early game. Anywho, on to the topic at hand.

I know there's been a few mentions of the Slime Mount and its new powerful and interesting ability which allows it to 'bounce' off enemies below, deal 35+ damage (depending on how big the fall was) and not get hit back in return. But I wanted to clarify and talk about it further in its own thread.

For those that might not be aware of what I am on about, showcased below is my first encounter with the Eater of Worlds in Expert Mode:

As you can see, doing 37 damage faster than the Chain Gun can shoot while blocking hits coming upwards at the same time is a little...powerful. So, what's the point of this thread? "Aha, I knew it was a nerf thread".

To be perfectly clear, I think the mechanic is fine as it is. While I was shredding the boss, you might also note that I did get hit a couple of times. But, killing the parts so fast gave me plenty of heart pickups. What I think should happen is simply tone down the minimum damage of the Slime mount to 5 damage, or even perhaps 1, at extremely small falls such as this. Most 'slams' on enemies in the open do not happen like this, so that part of it should be unaffected.

That's all I have to say for now.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, perhaps the attack could be changed to be a penetrating attack? That would mean it would only be able to hit every 1/6th of a second with the penetrating invulnerability frame thingy, but it can bounce on multiple enemies.

Last edited:
I think a sort of cooldown for it would work better. Dealing 1 damage that quickly can still dish out damage.

Some damage, yes, but not as good as the classic jester arrow tactic. Although, a cooldown could achieve the same thing. If it was ~0.5 seconds, that's still plenty of time to slam on an enemy, gain some height, then slam on it again when in open space.

Yeah, but the problem there is you could stack it with the jester arrow tactic :p

~0.5 seconds sounds about good to me. Would probably need tweaking. Wouldn't want to affect bouncing between enemies too much.

In an enclosed space such as what I shown in the video, I don't think shooting arrows would have made much of a difference.

If not 0.5 seconds, then the bare minimum would be 0.3.

Yeah, I was just saying it might need tweaks to that number, so it wouldn't affect its intended use.

Or maybe Slimes are the true overlords and this was entirely intentional?

It's a benevolent ruler, lending you it's power. While you help it reclaim it's throne. (It's easier to cheese things if you have a spotter, and you certainly couldn't keep up otherwise. And it's slowly digesting you anyhow :D )

You know, I usually laugh in the face of nerf/buff threads. But when things like this...
2e059da6c4.jpg

... Become possible, then I say "nerf that :red:er so hard it forgets its own name!"

And yes, that's a high number of Dungeon Guardians being safely and effortlessly turned into bits, one HP at a time. @neko is haxx!

Well, the main problem being, I was expecting EoW Expert Mode to be a different experience than 1.2.4.1 in terms of difficulty. And it wasn't.

Fortunately, I'm nice enough to try the boss again without new goodies I acquired (exception: forgot I had the scarf thing on though) from it without the Slime Mount method (I still used it to navigate the chasms quickly).

When something's a little powerful or weak (such as the Snowball Cannon), I won't complain much. Something like this, I will put out there. It's what I did with the 1.2.3 Stynger. Nothing could compare to how powerful that was.

Edit: That, and I couldn't care less about people killing the Dungeon Guardian, to be honest.

2nd Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, perhaps the attack could be changed to be a penetrating attack? That would mean it would only be able to hit every 1/6th of a second with the penetrating invulnerability frame thingy, but it can bounce on multiple enemies.

Last edited:
Yeah, it doesn't really help you circumvent the guardian, just cheese a fight that is usually cheesed anyway. Now, if it allowed you to explore the dungeon while wiping dungeon guardians out. (Not that you need to since the slime can kill skeletron in like 3 seconds)

Lol, that's freaking awesome! I killed my EoW in expert mode with classic jester arrows.

And here is where I chime in to say that the slime mount attack is completely fine as it is. How bored of the game are you right now?

Let me just point out that this topic is over a year old and Sonnette up there decided to try necromancy.

Who gives a warm moldy :red: only a mother could love how old a thread is. If a thread pops up and I feel like posting in it I am going to post in it. And lets be frank here. You cant tell me not to. There is no necro rule anymore. The only thing wrong here is your post and this one.

While most threads here seem to talk about end-game, I'm still casually strolling along in early game. Anywho, on to the topic at hand.

I know there's been a few mentions of the Slime Mount and its new powerful and interesting ability which allows it to 'bounce' off enemies below, deal 35+ damage (depending on how big the fall was) and not get hit back in return. But I wanted to clarify and talk about it further in its own thread.

For those that might not be aware of what I am on about, showcased below is my first encounter with the Eater of Worlds in Expert Mode:

As you can see, doing 37 damage faster than the Chain Gun can shoot while blocking hits coming upwards at the same time is a little...powerful. So, what's the point of this thread? "Aha, I knew it was a nerf thread".

To be perfectly clear, I think the mechanic is fine as it is. While I was shredding the boss, you might also note that I did get hit a couple of times. But, killing the parts so fast gave me plenty of heart pickups. What I think should happen is simply tone down the minimum damage of the Slime mount to 5 damage, or even perhaps 1, at extremely small falls such as this. Most 'slams' on enemies in the open do not happen like this, so that part of it should be unaffected.

That's all I have to say for now.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, perhaps the attack could be changed to be a penetrating attack? That would mean it would only be able to hit every 1/6th of a second with the penetrating invulnerability frame thingy, but it can bounce on multiple enemies.
I play on Master mode so try that and see if that works anymore to your liking.

To get the items that are somewhat decent you have to play on Master mode anyway

Back
Top Bottom