PC Solar Pillars fighting

Ranadiel

Terrarian
Hello all! I'm in with some information and some questions also. But first a bit of background.

Been here quite some time already and managed to check a couple inventions people post here. Definitely everything is worth trying! Almost 2 months ago i had a PC failure and lost most of my fresh worlds and characters. Now i'm slowly (but steadily) building it up from scratch and using various shortcuts to make it faster and easier. Therefore i started with some battle concepts like Cannon arena, multi-NPC house or checking out the dummy invurnability (properly spelled?) in various places.

Recently i started on my Expert World character the Lunar Events and it's been a drag without good equipment (i lost all previously). I know there was a topic about making the best arena for fighting all of the pillars, but maybe i might add something to the topic.

So i started per usual, trying to fight my way through the hordes of enemies and it dawned on me to use the dummies. Took me a couple of tries to set up dummies near nebula pillar... and it WORKED! :D As it was a sudden plan and doing it DURING the Lunar Events, had to make it as simple as possible. Two dummies on flat ground and solid blocks on appropriate space above them to properly bounce on the Slime Saddle. Everything worked fine, apart from me trying to kill all the mobs with The Eye of Cthulhu (without the yoyo bag) and an Influx Waver. Even when i was swarmed with Brain Suckler (one eating my brain and getting the screen dark), i stayed invurnable and went through without dying or losing any HP.

Repetead this on Solar Pillar, though had a couple deaths due to some jumping desyncronizing and started getting damage (maybe enemies swarming too much around my position). Yet, going off the mount and back on when no enemies were around, i managed to finish this pillar also.

My questions:
1. Has anyone attempted the Lunar Events this way? I'm pretty sure the Moon Lord can be fought with the Cannon Arena (to some extent) with using some weapons from time to time, but pillars themselves?
2. Which situation is safer? I had to use two dummies next to each other, but is using a dummy and a dummy ghost more reliable? Does the floor on which we place the dummy/ies matter?
3. Considering to create a proper arena (small fighting spot near a pillar area) before the Lunar Events start (teleporting to the place and using Dummy and Ghost Dummy, maybe some traps here and there), would it be worth it to prepare each place the same way?

I still need to check for the other 2 pillars, but i'm pretty sure the result will be the same - winning without a scratch (tsk). So wish you all luck and happy experimenting!

DicemanX (Joe Price on YouTube) actually fully automated the lunar event. He's pretty good at this type of thing, so I suggest checking his videos out.
Ahh, seen a few of his recent videos, but didn't know he already covered the Lunar Events. Thanks!

invurnability
'Invulnerability'. Alternatively: 'invincibility frames' or 'damage immunity', etc.

For context, the double dummy slime saddle invulnerability setup was uncovered in this thread, as was the fall damage setup that Diceman used in that pillar farm and his automated expert play-through.

Trapping pillars was explained here. Used by @blackshaddowwind in his hoik loop farm here (with extra detail about spawn locations).

Also, @terramappy used slime saddle on dummies in his lunar even speed run.
Which situation is safer? I had to use two dummies next to each other, but is using a dummy and a dummy ghost more reliable?
He initially used side-by-side target dummy stands, which works fine. The only advantage to stacking the dummy ghosts atop of each other is that it give you a wider arc of fire on certain weapons (without hitting the ghosts with your weapon and disrupting the slime saddle impacts, loosing your invulnerability). This "dummy engineering" stacking was discussed here.
Does the floor on which we place the dummy/ies matter?
Nope.
I'm pretty sure the Moon Lord can be fought with the Cannon Arena
I don't know, but the dummy-slime-saddle approach won't keep you alive against MoonLord because he has separate player damage cooldown timer. Diceman's "Mighty Cannonball Arena" used stacked dummies, and it was noted you have to be carefull that the cannonball explosions don't disrupt your invincibility by hitting an enemy so close to (or on top of) you that the explosion also overlaps the dummy ghosts.

'Invulnerability'. Alternatively: 'invincibility frames' or 'damage immunity', etc.

For context, the double dummy slime saddle invulnerability setup was uncovered in this thread, as was the fall damage setup that Diceman used in that pillar farm and his automated expert play-through.

Trapping pillars was explained here. Used by @blackshaddowwind in his hoik loop farm here (with extra detail about spawn locations).

Also, @terramappy used slime saddle on dummies in his lunar even speed run. He initially used side-by-side target dummy stands, which works fine. The only advantage to stacking the dummy ghosts atop of each other is that it give you a wider arc of fire on certain weapons (without hitting the ghosts with your weapon and disrupting the slime saddle impacts, loosing your invulnerability). This "dummy engineering" stacking was discussed here.Nope.

I don't know, but the dummy-slime-saddle approach won't keep you alive again MoonLord because he has separate player damage cooldown timer. Diceman's "Mighty Cannonball Arena" used stacked dummies, and it was noted you have to be carefull that the cannonball explosions don't disrupt your invincibility by hitting an enemy so close to (or on top of) you that the explosion also overlaps the dummy ghosts.

Great break-down and reference as always!

Surprisingly for me also, a second fight with using the Slime Saddle invulnerability not working... I still get hit with various attacks from the Moon Lord, even when i'm not attacking (to disrupt the dummies). Pillars were hard the second time and died lots... Gonna have to cheese Moony some other way eh... And yes, read through the topic on invulnerability, so gonna try fall damage farm (both Pillars and Moon Lord).

My only problem so far is i need to get some of his drops (preferably to make the Drill Mount) and i'll be able to make arenas and farms faster.

Also, thanks with the links! I'll be sure to check everything through! Some of these things i've already read, so not a lot to catch up!

I still get hit with various attacks from the Moon Lord
Damage blocking does not work against Moonlord. He has his own unique line to your health pool. You have to dodge his attacks, or physically block the worst (laser) and tank the rest (like so) and/or use the nurse repeatedly mid-fight to heal (she's pretty tough, so can survive fairly close by).

Double dummies and slime saddle should work fine verses pillars, provided no accidental hits on them from explosions or anything.

Back
Top Bottom