Builds Some of my favorite journey mode builds

Femtonde_masker

Terrarian
I recently went through my captures folder to look back at some of my older builds after I lost my first journey mode world, so I've picked out some of my favourites of new and old builds that I'd like to share some of the details and context that make them my favourite.
When the Hallow was generated in this world it covered these living trees that I had other plans for but rather than just clentaminate it, I wondered why all the regular trees became infected and gained all these wonderful colours and the living trees had to look out of place with their green leaves. the painted mushrooms look great now that they emit corresponding colours of light.
As for the tower, the central staircase was a nightmare to figure out but it ended up paying off. The top room came out exactly how I wanted with a wonderful selection of magical trinkets and you can't have a wizard's tower without the O R B. All of it's a wonderful amount of evil to clash with the hallow.
Also, it makes me irrationally mad that I didn't finish painting the tree on the left. I had a reason but I've since forgotten it and it looks so awful I can no longer justify it.
Capture 2022-10-14 15_56_02.png
This build was a direct result of watching Khaios' video about terraforming, so I built a cave just for the sake of building a cave and using the rubblemaker for the first time. After I finished the cave I realised how out of place it looked (if you're eagle-eyed you might have noticed that it's right to the left of the forest pylon), so i wanted to add something to make it more interesting so I started building what I initially intended to be a castle but then the demolitionist moved in, at which point it pivoted to be something totally different. I decided he would "live" at the forest pylon house to the right but he would have a shop of his own over here. I wanted the shop to be as dangerous as possible with only flame-based light sources and explosives everywhere. the roof ended up looking a little bare which was just flat red-painted honeycomb walls until I came up with the idea of an explosive going off in the attic and causing a fire, which turned it into the best part of this build.
Capture 2022-10-02 19_33_53.png
This one was so much fun to build. It started out with just replacing the ores on a sky island with aetherium blocks and at some point, it just spiralled out of control from there. I'd never really worked with sunplate/disc walls before so it was hard to find stuff that worked with it until I found the stardust furniture was simply perfect for what I needed. the best parts of this one have to be the windows with echo-painted sections that work amazingly with the blue stained glass, the waterfall that gets split by the single sunplate block with the banner hanging from it, the fact that you can see the staircase that goes from the 2nd to the 3rd floor, the 4 wide custom table on the 1st floor, and the cloud step-stones over to the sakura cloud.
Capture 2022-10-22 00_34_58.png
i completely could not be bothered to terraform over all the holes left after curing the corruption that was generated right next to my centre forest area (this screen shot is only a small portion of this build. You might notice I didn't finish all the walls of the holes but shhhh...

Capture 2023-09-03 14_24_10.png
)
I love how it turned out. The background walls in the holes took me forever, but they ended up looking exactly how I wanted them to. The mausoleum to the left was one of my first 100% in the background buildings and I'm pretty proud of how it looks. My aim for this was to make it completely walkable with no movement accessories, so I decided to make the bridges over the chasms solid so you wouldn't fall down them without being able to get back up, and I think they look better for it too.
The house is wonderfully grim with the bone walls and skull chandelier in the dining room, the skeleton statues at the top of the tower, and the slight green glow from the green dungeon light sources in the tower. I had some trouble with lining up the windows on the roof with the ones below in the dining room so that they'd all line up with the supporting arch over the chasm, which all culminated in the creation of the tiny storeroom between the tower and the dining room. That ended up being a little bit of a struggle to decide what to do with the space, but the additional height/depth to the roof was definitely beneficial.
Also, the lone lantern hanging in the support arch above the chasm is cool. I have nothing else interesting to say about it.
Capture 2023-09-03 13_51_42.png
Feat. khaios' outhouse design.
I'm so happy with how the crystals look, they also add a bit of story to the build to explain why these chunks of rock and dirt are floating. The overgrowth on the roof, the vines connecting the islands, and even the lanterns in the trees make this one of/if not my favourite build. Something else I adore is the depth added by the attic window with how you can see the window on the other side of the house. Also, the shimmer zoologist goes so nicely here.
Capture 2023-09-03 14_10_17.png
This one's pretty old (like 2021/22 but it's one of the first builds I really put any effort into so it feels ancient to me). i remember this one started off by just trying to make the natural living trees, look more like trees rather than just sticks with leaves on the top, you might notice a lot of similarities with my hallowed living trees build, so a lot of what I learned from this one stuck. the depth of this one makes it quite nice to look at with the vines between the trees and the leaf walls peeking from behind the main chunk of leaf blocks. some of my favorite details in this one are the mushrooms growing out the side of the trees, the holes in the walls of the house being used as storage, and the use of the living wood platforms to make the wood walls of the doorframes look mossy, and the hole in the wall in the library that reveals that there's a whole other room behind it.
However, there are some things I'd definitely change if I still had the world I built this on. The worst part of this is the Gazebo between the first and second trees. I haphazardly added it after learning how much depth you can covey with black and white paint on monochromatic blocks (e.g. grey brick or marble) but it does not fit with the rest of the style of this build at all to the point of being distracting, and to top it all off the illusion breaks down if my lil guy isn't standing in that exact spot. Something else that I despise about this build, is the shaft on the far right, next to the library. It's far too straight for how organic the rest of the house is.
but other than those two things, I'm still fairly proud of this, to this day.
Capture 2022-05-15 00_14_29.png
I was supposed to put this one first but I didn't realise it left it out until now :p
This was the first thing i did as soon as labour of love was released and I instantly fell in love with ashwood and everything echo. ash fences painted brown added so much for vegetation in the background, ropes connecting with other types and blocks added a lot for details such as the streamer bunting in the right of the build. all of this build is so cosy to me, I spend longer than I care to admit staring at this one when I spawn in before going off to build something else.
Capture 2023-09-03 15_43_13.png

Back
Top Bottom