Weapons & Equip [Sprites] Baseball Bats: Knock 'em out of the park!

Snickerbobble

The Painter
With the new throwing class, there are a few inconsistencies with damage types: boomerangs, most knives, and yoyos are all not considered throwing, even though you throw these weapons. Yo-yo experts even use the term "thrower." I feel I have some solutions to help out the thrower class without hurting melee with its lack of range.

All thrown weapons should fall under throwing, because.. you throw them of course! This includes the new Yoyo weapon type, boomerangs, magic dagger, etc. All throwing because you throw them. This change would mostly effect the Melee class, which I will go over shortly.

This would not be just a simple changing of damage types, damage values and use times would need to be tweaked to accommodate.

Changes to the Melee Class
Now with a lot of ranged options thrown out for the thrower class, melee needs some overhauling.

All swords should auto-swing. Even with perfect clicking to simulate autoswing, lots of swords fall short in DPS compared to ranged/magic weapons of the same tier. Without autoswing the difference in DPS is even greater.

For comparison:

Blade of Grass: 58 DPS
Thorn Chakram: 107 DPS (moved to throwing)

Fiery Greatsword: 65 DPS
Flower of Fire: 152 DPS, more than double
Molten Fury: 109 DPS

Excalibur: 170 DPS
Rainbow Rod: 261 DPS
Megashark: 283 DPS

Defense makes balancing difficult, though I thought examples with large DPS differences would help prove my point. Even if the above swords were given autoswing, they'd still be falling short, so I feel all swords should autoswing, with certain ones requiring some buffing. Swords that already were given auto-swing as a balancing factor, such as the Muramasa, could receive an extension in their sprites, making length a more appropriate balancing factor instead, or a quicker use time.

Flails should be buffed quite a bit, but have their damage scale with the speed of their swing, similar to the Staff of Earth. A flail sitting at your feet would do minimum damage, whereas one being flung around would do extra damage.
Now for the main part of the suggestion finally.. baseball bats!
gIat2Ao.png
ALFjKro.png
WsCiU3p.png

Baseball bats would be unique broadsword-esque weapons that deal less damage than their sword counterparts, but provide extra knockback and can deflect projectiles. They can also launch consumable throwing items with right click, for a ranged attack. Enemies also take half damage when smashed against a block.

gIat2Ao.png

Wooden Bat
Speed: Very Fast
Damage: 5
Knockback: Average
Info: A normal baseball bat, nothing too special.

ALFjKro.png

Aluminum Bat
Damage: 10
Info: A harder hitting bat, slightly larger.

oQSElHk.png

Sinister Slugger
Damage: 16
Knockback: Strong
Info: A demonite tier bat for the Corruption

fL1qYw4.png

Rouge Batton
Speed: Fast
Damage: 18
Info: A crimtane tier bat for the Crimson

Phaseblade.gif

Phase Blades
Info: Will be changed to the Baseball Bat weapon type. This means you can deflect lasers! Same for the Phase Sabers.

89HK0lf.png

PB 'n Jammer
Damage: 14
Info: Hit enemies will get stuck in a giant banana peel when they hit the ground, locking them for a few moments.

12yVhfL.png

Aqua Bat
Speed: Extremely Fast
Damage: 19
Info: A very fast bat.

0gqUTQq.png

Bumblebat
Damage: 23
Info: Smacked projectiles become bees that home in on enemies.

tZ2IrrK.png

Hotshot
Damage: 30
Knockback: Very Strong
Info: Projectiles are set alight and inflict On Fire!

Vtr0thA.png

Gold Bat
Damage: 24
Info: Hit targets cause a twinkling effect, which behave similarly to the spore sac and will seek out nearby enemies.

WsCiU3p.png

Lightning Rod
ALFjKro.png
, Living Lightning, and Cloud (or alternatively, dropped by Angry Nimbus)
Damage: 38
Info: Projectiles that hit targets cause a lightning bolt to strike the enemy from above.

djR628X.png

Illuminiant
ALFjKro.png
, 20 Crystal Shards, and 15 Souls of Light
Damage: 35
Info: Projectiles become light spheres, and when passing through an enemy, will reverse direction to hit a second time.

Cnv568q.png

Vumpire
Damage: 52
Info: Projectile hits give 2% lifesteal, and direct bat hits give 5%.

YvU2TiI.png

Fruitbat @Fruitbat
Damage: 72
Info: Possibly will replace the Chlorophyte Claymore, lobs green orbs when swung.

ATz2t7a.png

Battra
Damage: 98
Info: Hit projectiles become bats that seek out the enemy.

Christmas_Tree_Sword.png

Christmas Tree Sword
Info: Will also be changed to the Baseball Bat weapon type. Fires ornaments for free, but with ornaments
20px-Tree_Sword_Projectile.gif
it will fire three at the price of one.

kvmQf4l.png

Mindwipe
Damage: 115
Info: Hit enemies will get stuck in a tractor beam, rising them up to drop them for heavy block collision damage.

KwKKoTg.png

Spaceball Bat
Damage: 150
Info: Projectiles become spaceballs, which bounce around at high speeds, infinitely penitrating targets for 10 bounces, but bounce count is refreshed if smacked again.

Yuoj9jq.png

Baseball
From: Crafted with 1 Silk, 1 Tattered Cloth, and 1 Wood, makes 20, also sold by Merchant for 50 copper after EoC is defeated.
Info: Thrown balls that behave like spiky balls but fly further and pop once they stop rolling.

Ornament
Damage: 60
Info: Ornaments will explode, sending fragments in all directions that deal half damage

All other consumable throwables can also be used by bats. They will not add their damage value to the bat's, a thrown baseball will do 18 throwing damage, but a hit baseball by a Spaceball Bat will do 150 damage.

May undergo some updates, but what do you think so far? With these changes, thrower will have more items throughout the game to rely on, and we'd get some new special effect bats to play with.

Last edited:
Normally I draw the line at yoyo weapons, but with the new addition of the baseball bats I think it'll be good. I would like to see more baseball type items, maybe one that can be purchased so I wouldn't have to farm scouts to get a good supply. I get the sense a rubber ball would be hilarious.

With the new throwing class, there are a few inconsistencies with damage types: boomerangs, most knives, and yoyos are all not considered throwing, even though you throw these weapons. Yo-yo experts even use the term "thrower." I feel I have some solutions to help out the thrower class without hurting melee with its lack of range.

All thrown weapons should fall under throwing, because.. you throw them of course! This includes the new Yoyo weapon type, boomerangs, magic dagger, etc. All throwing because you throw them. This change would mostly effect the Melee class, which I will go over shortly.

This would not be just a simple changing of damage types, damage values and use times would need to be tweaked to accommodate.

Changes to the Melee Class
Now with a lot of ranged options thrown out for the thrower class, melee needs some overhauling.

All swords should auto-swing. Even with perfect clicking to simulate autoswing, lots of swords fall short in DPS compared to ranged/magic weapons of the same tier. Without autoswing the difference in DPS is even greater.

For comparison:

Blade of Grass: 58 DPS
Thorn Chakram: 107 DPS (moved to throwing)

Fiery Greatsword: 65 DPS
Flower of Fire: 152 DPS, more than double
Molten Fury: 109 DPS

Excalibur: 170 DPS
Rainbow Rod: 261 DPS
Megashark: 283 DPS

Defense makes balancing difficult, though I thought examples with large DPS differences would help prove my point. Even if the above swords were given autoswing, they'd still be falling short, so I feel all swords should autoswing, with certain ones requiring some buffing. Swords that already were given auto-swing as a balancing factor, such as the Muramasa, could receive an extension in their sprites, making length a more appropriate balancing factor instead, or a quicker use time.

Flails should be buffed quite a bit, but have their damage scale with the speed of their swing, similar to the Staff of Earth. A flail sitting at your feet would do minimum damage, whereas one being flung around would do extra damage.
Now for the main part of the suggestion finally.. baseball bats!
gIat2Ao.png
ALFjKro.png
WsCiU3p.png

Baseball bats would be unique broadsword-esque weapons that deal less damage than their sword counterparts, but provide extra knockback and can deflect projectiles. They can also launch consumable throwing items with right click, for a ranged attack. Enemies also take half damage when smashed against a block.

gIat2Ao.png

Wooden Bat
Damage: 5
Info: A normal baseball bat, nothing too special.

ALFjKro.png

Aluminum Bat
Damage: 10
Info: A harder hitting bat, slightly larger.

oQSElHk.png

Sinister Slugger
Damage: 16
Info: A demonite tier bat for the Corruption

fL1qYw4.png

Rouge Batton
Info: A crimtane tier bat for the Crimson

Phaseblade.gif

Phase Blades
Info: Will be changed to the Baseball Bat weapon type. This means you can deflect lasers! Same for the Phase Sabers.

89HK0lf.png

PB 'n Jammer
Damage: 14
Info: Hit enemies will get stuck in a giant banana peel when they hit the ground, locking them for a few moments.

12yVhfL.png

Aqua Bat
Speed: Extremely Fast
Damage: 19
Info: A very fast bat.

0gqUTQq.png

Bumblebat
Damage: 23
Info: Smacked projectiles become bees that home in on enemies.

tZ2IrrK.png

Hotshot
Damage: 30
Knockback: Very Strong
Info: Projectiles are set alight and inflict On Fire!

Vtr0thA.png

Gold Bat
Damage: 24
Info: Hit targets cause a twinkling effect, which behave similarly to the spore sac and will seek out nearby enemies.

WsCiU3p.png

Lightning Rod
ALFjKro.png
, Living Lightning, and Cloud (or alternatively, dropped by Angry Nimbus)
Damage: 38
Info: Projectiles that hit targets cause a lightning bolt to strike the enemy from above.

djR628X.png

Illuminiant
ALFjKro.png
, 20 Crystal Shards, and 15 Souls of Light
Damage: 35
Info: Projectiles become light spheres, and when passing through an enemy, will reverse direction to hit a second time.

Cnv568q.png

Vumpire
Damage: 52
Info: Projectile hits give 2% lifesteal, and direct bat hits give 5%.

YvU2TiI.png

Fruitbat @Fruitbat
Damage: 72
Info: Possibly will replace the Chlorophyte Claymore, lobs green orbs when swung.

ATz2t7a.png

Battra
Damage: 98
Info: Hit projectiles become bats that seek out the enemy.

Christmas_Tree_Sword.png

Christmas Tree Sword
Info: Will also be changed to the Baseball Bat weapon type. Fires ornaments for free, but with ornaments
it will fire three at the price of one.

kvmQf4l.png

Mindwipe
Damage: 115
Info: Hit enemies will get stuck in a tractor beam, rising them up to drop them for heavy block collision damage.

KwKKoTg.png

Spaceball Bat
Damage: 150
Info: Projectiles become spaceballs, which bounce around at high speeds, infinitely penitrating targets for 10 bounces, but bounce count is refreshed if smacked again.

Yuoj9jq.png

Baseball
From: Crafted with 1 Silk, 1 Tattered Cloth, and 1 Wood, makes 15
Info: Thrown balls that behave like spiky balls but fly further and pop once they stop rolling.

Ornament
Damage: 60
Info: Ornaments will explode, sending fragments in all directions that deal half damage

All other consumable throwables can also be used by bats. They will not add their damage value to the bat's, a thrown baseball will do 18 throwing damage, but a hit baseball by a Spaceball Bat will do 150 damage.

May undergo some updates, but what do you think so far? With these changes, thrower will have more items throughout the game to rely on, and we'd get some new special effect bats to play with.
Ey! Re-Logic! Pay some attention to this guy!

I like this suggestion, except the additions to boomerangs. Throwing weapons should be exclusive to consumables, as they broke off what was left of the ranged class. Changing boomerangs to throwing just seems like a lazy way of adding new content for throwing, and if we were to add this where do we draw the line? Throwing knives weapons (shadowflame knife, vampire knives, flying knife), or javelin weapons (daybreak, scourge of the corruptor)?

I like this suggestion, except the additions to boomerangs. Throwing weapons should be exclusive to consumables, as they broke off what was left of the ranged class. Changing boomerangs to throwing just seems like a lazy way of adding new content for throwing, and if we were to add this where do we draw the line? Throwing knives weapons (shadowflame knife, vampire knives, flying knife), or javelin weapons (daybreak, scourge of the corruptor)?
Just consumables? I hated that kind of thing in other games (like Diablo II). I'd have to stop adventuring to restock constantly.

I say we draw the line where the item leaves your hand, yoyo weapons would be right on top of the line.

I wouldn't say that it is the lazy way, I say it is the logical way.

Also I feel like an idiot for my previous comment, I forgot any thrown weapons could be used for the bat.

Boomerangs used to deal ranged damage, but they were changed to melee to give melee some range. Not so lazy in my opinion, if I had to pick between ranged or melee I would give boomerang to melee, considering ranged has guns and bows and at the time throwables. But with throwing now its own class, I feel boomerangs would fit even better over there, as you do throw them much like any other throwing class weapon.

I think all thrown knives and javelins should be throwing class, as you throw them. Same with yoyos and boomerangs, but to make up for the loss of ranged melee weapons, baseball bats would take their place. Flails could also be expanded upon.

As for SotC and Vampire Knives, there would be no melee dungeon chest weapon then. But this could be solved by giving each biome its own class weapon, as well as giving the desert its own chest. It would be randomized, so in one world the desert chest could contain a magic weapon and the hallow chest a melee weapon, but in another world it could be swapped. Five dungeon chests per world, one for each class type.

As for celestial stuff, ML drops 2 weapons for each class minus thrower, and for melee he drops 3. If yoyos became throwing weapons, that would be 2 melee and 1 thrower weapon. Add another thrower weapon and that's 2 for everyone. As for pillar stuff.. well that gets more complicated, and I have another thread planned to go over that (as well as ML RNG problem). But I believe Daybreak should be throwing.

Just consumables? I hated that kind of thing in other games (like Diablo II). I'd have to stop adventuring to restock constantly.

I say we draw the line where the item leaves your hand, yoyo weapons would be right on top of the line.

I wouldn't say that it is the lazy way, I say it is the logical way.

Also I feel like an idiot for my previous comment, I forgot any thrown weapons could be used for the bat.
I'll increase it from 15 to 20 per craft, and make them purchasable
KUprTga.png

And yeah, aside from the early game I never liked having a limit on my weapon which is why I hardly use ranged weapons.. to me it's like needing a chlorophyte ore per Terra Blade swing, but you get to swing it as long as you want, while with ranged and throwing you have to keep stocking back up.

Throwing weapons should be exclusive to consumables, as they broke off what was left of the ranged class.
If throwing weapons have to be consumable, following that same logic all ranged weapons would have to use ammunition, which would mean we'd have to move harpoon and piranha gun to another class, but they're fine where they are I think. They're not thrown/summoned/casted/swung, they're shot.

I think all thrown knives and javelins should be throwing class, as you throw them. Same with yoyos and boomerangs, but to make up for the loss of ranged melee weapons, baseball bats would take their place. Flails could also be expanded upon.
You want to move 37 melee weapons into the throwing class; though to make up for that loss you propose to add 16 *baseball bats* and some slight changes to a few, virtually unused weapons.

If throwing weapons have to be consumable, following that same logic all ranged weapons would have to use ammunition, which would mean we'd have to move harpoon and piranha gun to another class, but they're fine where they are I think. They're not thrown/summoned/casted/swung, they're shot.
That is like saying the KO Cannon and Golem Fist should be ranged because you 'shoot' them. Maybe, logic shouldn't be taken into consideration... after all, this game has floating islands that are not affected by gravity and unrealistic weapons.

That is like saying the KO Cannon and Golem Fist should be ranged because you 'shoot' them. Maybe, logic shouldn't be taken into consideration... after all, this game has floating islands that are not affected by gravity and unrealistic weapons.
Yes and gold is stronger than iron, candy corn is a lethal weapon, and oh yeah there's magic. It's a friggin' video game. There are bound to be some illogical things but it doesn't mean we should intentionally disregard all logic. To be honest now that you brought it up those would make more sense as ranged weapons, but until a replacement for the golem fist is made it should stay.

here are bound to be some illogical things
You say that like I am not aware... I am fully informed of the illogical items and features in Terraria and games in general.

To be honest now that you brought it up those would make more sense as ranged weapons, but until a replacement for the golem fist is made it should stay.
I only brought up those flails for a counter-argument. Since the piranha gun and harpoon are modified flails, they as well should be moved to melee. Perhaps, ranged could also be treated to a better biome related weapon too.

I only brought up those flails for a counter-argument. Since the piranha gun and harpoon are modified flails, they as well should be moved to melee. Perhaps, ranged could also be treated to a better biome related weapon too.
They were originally made as heavily modified flails but that is meaningless. They don't act like melee weapons at all.

As for the KO cannon and golem fist they would make more sense as ranged weapons.

You want to move 37 melee weapons into the throwing class; though to make up for that loss you propose to add 16 *baseball bats* and some slight changes to a few, virtually unused weapons.

If you ask me there are way too many yoyos in the game, so that weapon count is a little higher than it should be. But I can always add more bats, and then some flails here and there too. The suggestion is not "only this amount of bats should be implemented, nothing more" but "baseball bats could be a fun new weapon type, here are some examples of what some could be like." The idea is just the baseball bats, the sprites are completely extra. It takes time.. would it have been better off as "There should be bats" only, without the suggested examples? I could probably make a pre-hardmode jungle bat, a Hallow tier bat, maybe a hardmode dungeon one, and maybe a late-game one sold by the Skeleton/Traveling Merchant. A now out-dated thread, but I'd also love an endgame phase blade, which would behave like bats.

We could also make Magic Missile a melee weapon but that wouldn't work. How many options does the thrower have? Even if melee had the loss of 21 weapons, it would still have more content than the thrower. And I don't remember melee being a crippled class before the introduction of yoyos. Lack of range did make it difficult to take on some bosses, but that's why I'm suggesting baseball bats, a way for melee to still attack from range. This would also benefit the thrower, which is a crippled class as of now, only having a small choice of weapons for half of pre-hardmode only. To me it only makes sense to give throwers weapons that are thrown.

If you ask me there are way too many yoyos in the game, so that weapon count is a little higher than it should be. But I can always add more bats, and then some flails here and there too. The suggestion is not "only this amount of bats should be implemented, nothing more" but "baseball bats could be a fun new weapon type, here are some examples of what some could be like." The idea is just the baseball bats, the sprites are completely extra. It takes time.. would it have been better off as "There should be bats" only, without the suggested examples? I could probably make a pre-hardmode jungle bat, a Hallow tier bat, maybe a hardmode dungeon one, and maybe a late-game one sold by the Skeleton/Traveling Merchant. A now out-dated thread, but I'd also love an endgame phase blade, which would behave like bats.

We could also make Magic Missile a melee weapon but that wouldn't work. How many options does the thrower have? Even if melee had the loss of 21 weapons, it would still have more content than the thrower. And I don't remember melee being a crippled class before the introduction of yoyos. Lack of range did make it difficult to take on some bosses, but that's why I'm suggesting baseball bats, a way for melee to still attack from range. This would also benefit the thrower, which is a crippled class as of now, only having a small choice of weapons for half of pre-hardmode only. To me it only makes sense to give throwers weapons that are thrown.
I wouldn't call the thread outdated, the ideas that weren't used are still good ideas.

Flails could also be a good option. I recall you made one a long time ago that was good.

Wait. You added more bats since I last looked. Oh hey, melee lifesteal. The loss of vampire knives isn't bad now. Though to be honest there was nothing stopping other classes from using them but either way it's a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom