Weapons & Equip [Sprites]Watering Can: A New Gardening and Building Tool

There's really a complex interplay of ideas and issues here.

The Magic Sponge manipulates liquids in a slightly more logical way than the Watering Can (the watering animation won't be logical when it's draining water, after all) and does large-volume transport, if we try things Sz's way.

The Watering Can manipulates liquids as well, though it doesn't do water transport. But it comes with an opportunity to influence plant growth, that we'll just have to figure out how to program.

My beehive suggestion, however, is just as logical when it comes to herb blooming, and comes with additional bonuses.

Decisions, decisions!
Alright, I'd appreciate if you'd stop trying to tell me your ideas makes more sense, as they both don't. I mean, I could easily just rename it the "Magic Watering Can" too.

Last edited:
Does this look like the face of evil to you?
baconfry.png
I don't want to discourage anyone. I'm not doing this for myself. I don't care about my list of suggestions. It's there for convenience, and I haven't updated it in ages, I'll admit.

If I hurt your feelings somehow, I apologize, but I quite honestly think that these two suggestions are different enough to coexist.

For the plants that randomly decide when to bloom and when not to, there would be the same issue as trees. As for Fireblossom and Waterleaf, they bloom in the presence of water/lava, so if using this formed a sort of ultra-thin puddle at the base of the plant that was exempt from the usual fluid mechanics, it could work.
The only herb that blooms randomly is the Blinkroot :p everyone else has specific conditions except maybe Shiverthorn which seems to just bloom after an unspecified amount of time. Also Waterleaf only blooms during the rain storm event now, not when submerged in water. :) And I'm quite certain herbs can bloom on screen.

Definitely, I've confirmed that Blinkroot doesn't care whether I'm on-screen or not... perhaps Cenx was referring to the growth of a seedling into the stage that can be harvested? At least, I hope so. If not, I'll try coming up with separate uses for the item myself and share 'em here. Turning dirt into mud, snow into ice? Extending the edges of thin ice once it's been broken?

All this time I had forgotten to like the main post... oops. :dryadwink:

Definitely, I've confirmed that Blinkroot doesn't care whether I'm on-screen or not... perhaps Cenx was referring to the growth of a seedling into the stage that can be harvested? At least, I hope so. If not, I'll try coming up with separate uses for the item myself and share 'em here. Turning dirt into mud, snow into ice? Extending the edges of thin ice once it's been broken?

All this time I had forgotten to like the main post... oops. :dryadwink:
Huh.. I can't believe I missed the mud conversion. I do like the ice one, but what about converting back?

Also, I've messed around with herbs quite a lot since they were introduced, and I've seen them advance stages and bloom on screen. The only one I'm uncertain with are shiverthorn, which I think *might* have the same blooming conditions as blinkroot. Also, not sure if waterleaf is rain-only now, or if it can also bloom in submerged water (How else would it bloom indoors!?)

Also, I've messed around with herbs quite a lot since they were introduced, and I've seen them advance stages and bloom on screen. The only one I'm uncertain with are shiverthorn, which I think *might* have the same blooming conditions as blinkroot. Also, not sure if waterleaf is rain-only now, or if it can also bloom in submerged water (How else would it bloom indoors!?)
They all bloom whenever it is raining whether they're outside or not. :p But I'm pretty sure they can't spawn on screen aside from planting seeds.

Huh.. I can't believe I missed the mud conversion. I do like the ice one, but what about converting back?
We might not need to convert them back... instead, we could make Snow renewable. (It already is, but the Frost Legion doesn't count.) Using a Bug Net during a Blizzard could drop Snow Blocks, maybe?

We might not need to convert them back... instead, we could make Snow renewable. (It already is, but the Frost Legion doesn't count.) Using a Bug Net during a Blizzard could drop Snow Blocks, maybe?
I dunno, I mean, how would that work? Just swing and get a block every second?

I think Frost Legion is good enough for a renewable source for snow blocks, however I would like a pre-hardmode way of getting these blocks. What if Frost Legion was available year-round, and was made a pre-hardmode event? I always found them quite easy to fight. In pre-hardmode, you fight the silly bouncing snowmen, in hardmode, you fight giant santa mechs, giant evil trees, and flying queens of ice? They would be an end of pre-hardmode/early hardmode bonus event. Wow.. this could probably be its own topic, ha! ...Additionally, maybe Zombie Eskimos could also drop snow blocks, to give them another use to keep fighting.. or maybe a pre-hardmode blizzard nimbus enemy?

What about just being able to craft Ice Blocks and Snow Blocks at an Ice Machine with Water Bottles?

No, nvm. Sand isn't renewable. I hope the Merchant will be adding Bottles to his stockpile.

What about just being able to craft Ice Blocks and Snow Blocks at an Ice Machine with Water Bottles?

No, nvm. Sand isn't renewable. I hope the Merchant will be adding Bottles to his stockpile.
I've always found water bottle in recipe to be strange if it doesn't result in a potion or something in a bottle *shrug* And then those crafting recipes.. I can go on and on about those, but that might be better for a different topic..

Sand is renewable, though. Sandgun with chance not to consume ammo, or just plain ol' Antlions :dryadtongue:

we need a way to make snow renewable? hmm...
I got nothing... I think it should involve freezing liquid water, but I don't know how...

Back
Top Bottom