Startup takes a long time (up to several minutes) when no internet connection is available

Aprillomat

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Hi everyone,
when Steam is *not* in offline mode, but no internet connection is available, Terraria will always take up to several minutes to start (while the Terraria.exe process is running, but not consuming any CPU time). I know this can be "fixed" by either connecting internet or going into offline mode, but as a laptop player who often moves their laptop around and connects/disconnects from the internet frequently, this is annoying as steam can take a while to go into offline mode, cached information about games isn't available (like certain thumbnails, news/game activity sections etc) and achievements for some games aren't getting queued. In short, there seems to be no reason for Terraria to act this way when it clearly works normally in offline mode. I assume it checks if Steam is online and if so, tries to connect to some server but has a weirdly long timeout set for connection failure (the strange thing is that the startup time varies, it's always at least 30s but sometimes doesn't even start after 5 minutes). Other Steam games that use Steam's DRM API to verify they belong to the current user, such as Hollow Knight, do not have this problem and start up right away even in disconnected online mode.

I have verified this glitch on several computers, running Windows 7, 10 and 11 and it's been happening for a while (but used to not happen in the past). I don't know which game version this behavior started at.

It's certainly not a fix - but if you manually go into steam offline mode (you can do this pretty quickly from the friends menu) then it might help you get in game more quickly.

Back
Top Bottom