PC Strange error message when launching

Travis 3

Terrarian
Every time i try to launch Terrraria i get this error message. I've tried re-installing, repairing the files and I've searched online for a fix but cant seem to find anything.

System.IO.IOException: The file cannot be accessed by the system.

at System.IO._error:WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.File.InternalReadAllBytes(String path, Boolean checkHost)
at Terraria,Utilities.FileUtilities.ReadAllBytes(String path, Boolean cloud)
at Terraria.IO.FavoritesFile.Load()
at Terraria.Main.Initialize()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)

really? nobody has a response for this even months later? very unimpressed and kinda pissed that i cant play one of my favorite games because nobody will answer me.

What operating system are you using?

This looks like a permissions issue for creating files on your computer. Have you tried running as administrator?

A bit of context might be useful. What is the exact full folder that it's installed to? For example, D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Games\Terraria\ (etc)

Also describe what Operating System you're on.

Is the installation path on a separate hard drive from your operating system?

One reason I ask is related to what Tunnel King said. When I built my new computer, I installed Win10 on an m.2 SSD as my C drive, and used my old hard drive as my D drive. Windows saw the D drive as a foreign drive and I found it difficult to run things on it. I had to go into most of the main root folders on the D drive, go into Properties, Security, then give everything full permissions. It took ages. But eventually it all worked as if I actually owned the hard drive.

EDIT: A similar thread maybe. Still at least slightly useful. It seems to assert that there might be damage to your hard drive. I know of a few programs that can check whether there are any reallocated sectors on the drive. Those usually indicate a failing drive. Download these programs, then look in the "Health" or "SMART Status" tabs (whatever they're called) to see if the drive is healthy. Basically, any reallocation tends to imply failing health.
Defraggler
Speedfan (Direct link)

If your hard drive is healthy, your best bet is either get a new hard drive and reinstall everything, including the operating system, or take it to a PC Repair shop that has a hardware imager. Provide your own hard drive of a slightly bigger size and have them clone it back on, where it'll be like nothing ever happened.

Basically, if you're using a failing hard drive, you may as well be painting a house that's on fire. You've got bigger priorities than fixing Terraria at this point, if your drive's not healthy.

Here is another person that has a similar problem, though it's not related to Terraria. They also think it's a permissions problem.

Last edited:
Sorry for the wait, but I have found the solution that has worked for me. I had mods installed from previous versions of terraria, which I think broke it so I went to all of the files that had mods attached and I deleted them. One directory was ThisPC/Documents/MyGames/Terraria/. Another was any instances of mods in your steam folder. My Steam Folder was in ThisPC/LocalDisk(C: )/ProgramFiles (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Terraria. Your steam folder may be located elsewhere but you can find it pretty easily with a quick search of SteamApps in your file explorer program. I just deleted everything in the MyGames/Terraria portion and anything that had to do with mods in the steam directory portion. I hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom