Game Mechanics Suggestion: "Upgrade" option for old/outdated/weak gear!

Frosted

Terrarian
I was thinking about the tinkerer, and how you can reforge your gear to be customizable. Then I thought, while on my max character, how I really missed various sets of armor and weapons.

- So, I suggest an option to essentially bring some of the gear up to the standard you would like (With a decent price/penalty of course). For example, I love Light Dicss, but they have no place on a max character, and neither do my demon scythes or Death Sickle.

- I'd rather not be able to only play with those until I NEED to progress to other gear and items, and let my awesome gear sit in my chests.

- Thoughts? Potential concerns? I had an idea of the requirement or cost to upgrade something, and it could be potentially rather steep if needed.

Well, regarding the usefulness of some items you listed, Death Sickle is incredibly useful as it can damage enemies through walls and can shred through Plantera with ease, Demons Scythes are very useful against the Wall of Flesh because of its high (for pre-hardmode) damage and the fact it can go through The Hungry and attack the wall directly. Light Disks may actually have a place on a max set because it's one of, if not the best boomerangs and it can stack, it's very effective against normal enemies.

As for the suggestion itself, I'm more curious as to what exactly you would consider an item that should be able to upgrade. Most weapons in the game are well thought out and have upgrades already (for example, the Boomstick has it's upgraded version the Shotgun right at the very beginning of hardmode, a lot of magic weapons in hardmode have piercing abilities and can be considered upgrades, Light Discs are mostly outshined by Possessed Hatchet and Paladins Hammer, and Death Sickle is already powerful enough it doesn't need any upgrades.)

I like the idea, but I think it should be more fleshed out, does upgrade change the weapon into something else entirely? Do you need any materials to upgrade, is it just money? Should "upgrade-able" be added to the tooltip of these items? If you wanted better versions of these weapons, I can guarantee there are mods out there that offer what you are looking for by making these weapons materials for better ones.

I'm interested in this suggestion and I like the sound of it because sometimes it gets hard having to leave behind a weapon you get attached to.

Hmm...

I also like the general idea of this suggestion, but the devil is in the details.

Maybe borrow an idea from Destiny? In order to upgrade one item, you need a higher level item which gets consumed in order to upgrade the existing item to the level of the higher item? If so, maybe make it based on rarity? So each item gets a table for its stats, specifying what they are at each rarity level. As you find higher rarity gear, you can either switch or go to the Goblin Tinkerer and get your existing gear upgraded to the new rarity level (but lose the new gear completely). It should probably also be restricted to the same general class of items at least, so you need a melee weapon to upgrade another melee weapon, armour to upgrade armour, etc.

Apparently weapons level up in Terraria: Otherworld, to keep them useful. I doubt they'd implement such a system for Terraria, since it'd be a MASSIVE amount of work, but it's nice that T:O will have this covered. (Unless they scrapped that mechanic. :naughty:)

Good to hear. I know that with Terraria: Otherworld and also Terraria 2 in the works a lot of the suggestions in these forums will never see the light of day in the original Terraria, but hopefully the developers are reading these suggestions and applying at least some of them in the new games.

Back
Top Bottom