Weapons & Equip Summoner in 1.4(.0.5)

ScottishDodo

Terrarian
(Im new here, just want to share my opinion)

Ok, so,im currently playing through pure summoner on expert and i have some notes. Overall, the new staffs are super cool and the whips are a great addition which gives the summoner more things to do.

First problem i encountered: the snapthorn is the best whip i can use till hardmode and its not especially best weapon nearing the end of phm. Like the yoyos, the hellfire/firecracker are just not very useful, since you can just get the coolwhip/amarok as soon as you enter hardmode with just a bit of grinding. Maybe making the firecracker be a rare drop from the slimes or something (to make killing the slimes actually useful) would help and reduce its damage so its not too op for phm. Since this would mean you could grab it before fighting any bosses (technically), you could make it only drop after skeletron or something similar.

The second problem i encountered: the drop rates for the blood moon weapons are way too low. By the time i finally got the frog staff after countless bloodmoons, it was obsolete. I already had the imp staff so its usefulness had run out already. This couldve just been my luck but the difficulty of the enemies that drop it are too high for such a mediocre weapon when you have to grind so long.

The third problem: this is also related to the blood moon. Even with post plantera gear, dreadnautilus is just way too hard. I havnt killed him once, never mind been able to grind him for the sanguine staff. You can have him be a tough boss but at this point, the sanguine staff is also obsolete. Its sad to not be able to use such a cool weapon because i can barely get the miniboss to half hp with fully geared out post plantera gear. The biggest problem is his dash, its so fast, its almost impossible to dodge. Ive figured out if you fly high and use slime/queen slime mount to drop, you can out pace him but only barely. His projectiles also are pretty hard to dodge so if you mess up even once you just die to his dash. Pretty strong boss for a weapon thats not even that strong post plantera.

Last problem: Hallow summoner armour is useless. I get its supposed to offer more of a tanky set for summoner but really, it just isnt strong enough to get rid of my spider armour for. Something i was hoping to do because using the same armour from the start of hardmode to plantera is a bit, meh.

Im only highlighting the problems here but i do have way more praise to give than issues. These are the only issues i found, maybe because im only playing summoner. Its been a blast to play through terraria again with all the new content, already racked up 82 hours since journeys end dropped. For some reason ive even been enjoying myself during the grinding (except when i got 2k souls of light and then also used an encumbering stone for a while before a blade staff dropped). Overall, this update has been great, just a few problems, mostly related to the blood moon.

For the first problem, just think of the Firecracker as a useful bonus if it happens to drop from the WoF on the first try, like it did for me. It really is pretty decent in practice, and I ended up still using it even after getting the Cool Whip.

I agree with the second issue. While it's *possible* to get that staff quite early, it's very unlikely for multiple reasons. One, it's quite hidden if you don't use the wiki (knowing to fish during blood moon, and then the extra rare rates means it won't ever be found by many). And especially if you go pure summoner, you're likely going to need the imp to take down the blood moon minibosses. They're not extremely hard, but quite difficult at that level.

Haven't gotten quite as far as Dreadnautilus yet since I started over, so can't comment much on that. But also agree with the Hallowed armor being pretty pointless. Basic hardmore ore/Hallowed gear hasn't been very useful since all the stuff beyond it was put in the game. It's usually best to skip it over, or at most you'll need to craft it for 1-2 boss fights before upgrading anyway.

I am of the opinion that the Summoner "class" is just like Wes from Dont Starve. Basically, something for players who REALLY want a challenge.

But the issue with that is that summoner play throughs are so FUN. But it feels incomplete... almost as if the devs were like all for it, but lots of other stuff just kind of got in the way. Yoyo's, as a comparison, is a legit way to play from Spawn to Post-Moon Lord. It's a fully fleshed out weapon system. Yeah, it's technically a sub class of Melee, but still, it's great. Summoners just can't seem to have that same thought/fleshyness that Yoyo's got.

There has to be some deeper and more expansive items/weapons/accessories/armours for summoners. Whips was just an amazing addition and i am LIVING FOR THEM, but even that feels incomplete. I want to have some variety and with Terraria's other classes I can do that, but when summoners are treated as an afterthought at times, it makes wanting to have your own personal army of adorable little creatures feel like an awfully boring slog.

Basically, something for players who REALLY want a challenge.
Summoner has a few absolutely broken advantages, though. For one, they gain full range wall piercing at pre-HM, making WoF really easy if you take the time to make a zigzag minecart. Secondly, they get a free Twins kill the moment they get their hands on a mechanical eye and full Spider Armor. Thirdly, they can actually AFK the Moon Lord fight. Lastly, Terraprisma, a relatively easy weapon to get (use UFO mount, Hallowed armor, Xeno/Stardust Dragon staff, both of which are easy-ish to farm as Summoner), is the most broken thing ever.

Back
Top Bottom