Items Summoner Updates (Ideas)

Marcus101RR

Master of Ravens
Welcome to Summoner Brain-storming and Ideas. Yes, I am a summoner fan, I actually was a mage person on many RPG-like games, but when I started getting into games that involved minions or armies I thought about things. How can I be a cowards and sit in one place and let the minions do the work? Then, games started dishing out a new mage-class type known as Summoners. Boy, did I love them like candy bars!

So why this? Well, this is a generalized thread for this and I'll be updating the main post from time to time when I come up with more ideas. Let's begin...

We know that pre-hard mode lacks a but of summoner stuff, but, the argument here is so does almost any other class. Mages don't get their type of weapons until later in the game when they obtain gems and bars for their staffs. In-theory, you could kill the king slime quickly even with almost no gear and gain the first summoner weapon. Why not make it easier and more progression? Oh and that gap between Imp and Hornet...ew!

Slime Staff
This item should be updated to drop from King Slime as a direct drop so they can obtain this one first.

"The Birds" Staff or Bird Staff (New Weapon)
Summons birds to fight for you.
Hintbox: The Birds are attacking, run!
Damage: 10
AI: Same as Ravens
Crafting: x20 Bird Feathers, x5 Gel, x10 Wood
Info: This new weapon for summoners requires you to kill the Birds (Pigeons, Cardinals, Blue Jay) using obviously Bows to kill and collect their drops! This way, the first Raven AI type summon can be obtained. Can you guess the reference?

Jack's Staff (New Weapon)
Summons snowman to fight for you.
Damage: 13
AI: Same as Pygmy
Crafting: x30 Snow Blocks, x10 Ice Blocks, x5 N/A
Info: Snow Biome needs a reason to be adventured to, why not give it a summoner weapon to look for? Practically all other weapon types can be found in that biome. Referencing to Jack Frost, these snowmen will throw snowballs at your enemies! Why not give them a chilling fight? This weapon would be a great par between Hornet and Imp.

Frogger Staff (New Weapon)
Summons frogs to fight for you.
Damage: 16
AI: Same as Slime (or new AI)
Crafting: x20 Frog Leg(s), x10 Gel, x10 Jungle Spores, x1 Nectar or x20 Bee Wax
Info: Returning to the Jungle couldn't be sweeter, when you want to start tackling the Plantera. Sure, that imp staff can do some fire damage, but elemental attacks have always been generic and static. They are not dynamic, this means their damage doesn't escalate at all. Why not give frogs a try with 1 Imp on your side? That should level the odds against plantera! Hey, they are frogs, at least you are not on a highway.

Hornet Staff
Increase damage from 9 to 18
Info: Why the damage update? Well, we know that when jungle time comes, you want to have good defense and decent DPS. Most classes can dish out good damage, with low defense in this time period, so the summoner should have something of equivalent to it. Hornets have terrible DPS, compared to pygmies, it seems their projectiles do not stack as often as pygmies do. Not sure if its a coding error, or update issue. This weapon becomes a later tier before Imp Staff

Imp Staff
No changes

This concludes the pre-hardmode summoner additions, this did not cover accessories or other items!
Mimic Staff (New Weapon)
Summons targeted enemy ally to fight for you.
Damage: 68
AI:
Depends on Targeted Enemy's AI
Crafting: x20 Lunar Moon Bars(s), and 2 Other Items
Info: This should be the preference summoning weapon, or final summoner weapon. What does this do? Well, the Mimic Staff acts as a cloning device, it requires you to aim in the vicinity or on the targeted enemy. This basically would create a minion of that type. If you understand it correctly, it would create a minion ally of the mob type you just clicked on, such as: Zombie, Vulture, etc. Of course, certain mobs will not be target-able: Bosses, Mini-Bosses, Rare Mobs, or Worm Types.

This for example, would inherit all mobs abilities from projectiles, abilities, and even their buffs. You could target a Slime for example in any biome type, and obtain it as a minion, or a Hornet type from the jungle. Damage will not be affected, but atleast the AI type would. This would make certain minion copies useless against certain boss fights etc, or strategies.

--------------------
Mob Updated
--------------------
Neutral Mobs used: Birds (Pigeons, Cardinals, Blue Jay), Frogs
These mobs are used for resources for some staff types, this might be good idea to give neutral mobs a reason to be killed or used other than as bait. Again, just a suggestion.

Birds (Pigeons, Cardinals, Blue Jay)
Drops:
10-20 Copper Coin(s) (100%), 1 Bird Feather (75%)

Frogs
Drops:
13-26 Copper Coin(s), 1 Frog Leg (75%)

--------------------
Pre-hardmode Summoner Accessories
--------------------
I do not believe there is a single accessory in pre-hardmode for Summoners. This should even some odds out though.

Shaman's Emblem (New Accessory)
Dropped by Wall of Flesh
Increases minion damage by 10%.
Info: A new item from the many emblems it drops, that would allow users to increase summoner damage.

Lich King's Bracelet (New Accessory)
Dropped by Ice Biome Mobs
Increases minion capacity by 1.
Info: A new item for the summoners that increases the capacity of the minion limit.

Ullr's Anklet (New Accessory)
Dropped by dungeon mobs.
Increases minion damage by 5%
Info: A new item for the summoners that increases the capacity of the minion limit.
Other: Can be combined later with Lighting Boots

Ullr's Boots (New Accessory)
Combined from Lighting Boots and Ullr's Anklet.
The wearer can run incredibly fast
Info: A new item for the summoners that increases the capacity of the minion limit and the effects of lighting boots.

More to follow...

Last edited:
The only problem i have is if you want to be pure summoner, how are you going to kill birds to get the bird staff or kill the king slime without a weapon?
Other then that it's a good Thread

okay, so there is so much cluttered nonsense going on here, I don't know where to begin...

I'm not sure what you are trying to improve here... you talk about the pre hardmode summons, but then you jabber off about fighting plantera? that's a little ways away buddy.
there also seems to be some major tier issues going on here, that or I am just deeply confused by the way you word things.

for example, why is the Jack's staff more powerful than the hornet staff (even after buffs) despite being about 2-3 tiers bellow it, even going as far as using trash items to craft (snow and ice)
and then the frogger staff, still being easier to obtain than the hornet staff, yet being more powerful. this one is extremely confusing, because you make it seem like a hardmode jungle item, but its damage and crafting recipe say otherwise.

speaking of these crafting recipes, they are just... very poorly thought out. your biggest mistake is relying on harmless critters for your drops. Why not throw in some new enemies? You already have a fairly easily accessed enemy that already drops feathers, and frog legs are already an item in the game, but an uncommon accessory. These instantly available crafting recipes make these weapons far too powerful. At least the ones that are weaker are hidden behind a boss.

The accessories are a bit better I must admit.
They are already adding a WoF emblem for summoners, so don't worry about that, the litch king's bracelet is a well placed item, if there is a weapon to accompany it. I would change the name to something more original, or you know, something that isn't copyrighted. the Urler's Anklet seems unnecesary to me. It has the exact same effect as the bracelet, and has a rather odd tinker. I would give it a different use all together, and make it combine with the bracelet instead of the boots.

overall, I can sort of see what you are trying to do, but it needs to be thought out a bit more. I think the summoner weapon damage right now is fine. But there certainly does need to be more weapons earlier in the game.

It is brainstoring, but, I fixed some things as you said about the hornet vs frogger. Also if that is the case with Jack's Staff, I would just slap up the hornet staff instead, though that won't work. Again the idea is there, the order of these staffs are subject to change by developers or other modders out there. The point is to fill in the gap that hornet staff and imp staff provide. If you think that gap is fine, then cross that entire board out. I think going from 9 damage to 21 is a bit high for nothing in between.

Plus, argumentation over the Imp Staff vs all the staffs I mentions is good enough for me to counter the Slime vs. Hornet Staff (however, you are right there is a flaw with the ice biome on that hornet staff), as they are only 1 damage point in difference and Slime staff is overlooked and discarded because its anyway much of a pain to obtain if you were trying to legit play the summoner class type. In any case, it would be best if there were some updates on migrating from Hornet to higher tier weapons. If you think the Hornet should remain on same par as it is, then obviously new enemies are needed, but again this is an item/equipment suggestion and I don't think there is a place for me to put enemies in. I mean, I could, but thats beyond my scope at this time to determine what kind of mobs we need to fix all that into.

All I know is, even with 1.3, I'm sure that summoner type weapons are still at a disadvantage in progression. Though, not sure if the other suggestion threads like Gem Socketing, or Summoner Prefixes are fully established at this point. Only time and release will tell us more on how the balancing and progress for the new items are.

I'll be working on updates and ideas to fix the balancing issues with progression for the mobs there later on.

I would probably slap the Hornet Staff up to 18 damage, and fill in all other types of summon weapons to other ranks to make progress more logical.

Back
Top Bottom