Super Paper Mario

Dexterdude

Eye of Cthulhu
SUPER PAPER MARIO

Yes , that game , the game that is always criticized for not being a turn-based RPG like its older brothers , the game that is one of the best games (in my opinion) of the mario series up to date (still not my favorite) , recently I plugged in my wii and played this great game once again , I won't let it die inside of me ! Let's just talk about the game . Man , I wish most events could be replayed (for example , bosses , world 6 ) , you know , without having to create a new save file . This game has so many stuff , 8 unique and creative worlds each different from each other , a bunch of minigames , collectibles , challenges (pit of 100 trials) , secrets , some kinda creepy things (for example the soundtrack of world 7) and a good soundtrack in general ! If you haven't played the game yet , you really should , go on , what are you waiting for ? See you on the flipside !
;)
2015-12-28-13-00-33--1798254937.jpeg

Last edited:
Well , here is the creepy music i was talking about , good luck on sleeping :
(WARNING : SPOOKY , TOO SPOOKY !!!)
The game was rated E for Everyone and PEGI +3 ...

Last edited:
Don't have much time to gush about it right now, but this is one of my absolute favorite games, ever. Mainly because of the story, which is one of the most clever, touching, beautifully crafted pieces of literature I have ever seen - this game managed to bring me nearly to tears not just once but twice, and trust me when I say that's no easy feat. The characters are also extremely well written, especially but not limited to the villain crew. Of course, the story isn't the only thing that's great about it, as the gameplay and OST are pretty solid too. One of the best games I've ever played, and I can't believe it isn't more widely recognized.

My favourite of the series was PM: TTYD, which may also be my second favourite game ever. (I didn't have the original PM on the N64.) Everything about it just suited me - the turn based battle, strategy, the story (if cliché) and I still play the game every now and again.

But this thread is about SPM. :)
Like many others, I disliked SPM at first, primarily because it wasn't TTYD. However, I warmed up to the game later. One of my criticisms about the game is that there is so much text, and a lot of it is pointless. So often, you're given choices (there's even a questionnaire mini-game) and what you do has literally no impact on the end result at all. There are also some parts of the game that feel like a missed opportunity. The game as a whole can basically be summed up as: Walk forward until you hit a roadblock. Flip to 3D. Go around roadblock. Return to 2D. Keep walking forward. Switching partners and Pixls is tedious and they're barely used outside of where you first obtain them.

On the flipside*, the story is definitely one of the game's strong points, and has one of the best stories in games I've played. It's hard to pin down exactly why this is, but a good example is how the Void grows, and people recognise and comment on it. They know they're doomed yet they continue to urge Mario forward. Nowhere is this done better than World 6. Not many games have characters openly recognise death and their thoughts on it. The variety of worlds is another strong point - they're all different and interesting (though some are still better than others). Put the two together, and you can see the Void consuming heaven and hell - there is no escape; everything really will cease to exist! The graphics are also well done and suit the game, but has the strange side-effect of making some Mario universe characters and items look out of place.
(* Get it? :D)

Then I got Sticker Star for the 3DS and it disappointed me so much that I haven't even considered Paper Jam...

My favourite of the series was PM: TTYD, which may also be my second favourite game ever. (I didn't have the original PM on the N64.) Everything about it just suited me - the turn based battle, strategy, the story (if cliché) and I still play the game every now and again.

But this thread is about SPM. :)
Like many others, I disliked SPM at first, primarily because it wasn't TTYD. However, I warmed up to the game later. One of my criticisms about the game is that there is so much text, and a lot of it is pointless. So often, you're given choices (there's even a questionnaire mini-game) and what you do has literally no impact on the end result at all. There are also some parts of the game that feel like a missed opportunity. The game as a whole can basically be summed up as: Walk forward until you hit a roadblock. Flip to 3D. Go around roadblock. Return to 2D. Keep walking forward. Switching partners and Pixls is tedious and they're barely used outside of where you first obtain them.

On the flipside*, the story is definitely one of the game's strong points, and has one of the best stories in games I've played. It's hard to pin down exactly why this is, but a good example is how the Void grows, and people recognise and comment on it. They know they're doomed yet they continue to urge Mario forward. Nowhere is this done better than World 6. Not many games have characters openly recognise death and their thoughts on it. The variety of worlds is another strong point - they're all different and interesting (though some are still better than others). Put the two together, and you can see the Void consuming heaven and hell - there is no escape; everything really will cease to exist! The graphics are also well done and suit the game, but has the strange side-effect of making some Mario universe characters and items look out of place.
(* Get it? :D)

Then I got Sticker Star for the 3DS and it disappointed me so much that I haven't even considered Paper Jam...
I get it, good one.:DPaper Jam is much more Mario and Luigi then Paper Mario, so if you liked the other M&L games then you'll like Paper Jam.

You don't realize how stoked I was upon seeing this thread okay, literally my favorite game (mostly for nostalgic reasons--I played it back when I was 11 and even made a couple of terrible OCs xD). Was also my first Paper Mario game--funny how the first one I play was the most "out there" one in the series at the time.
Loved the story, humor, and music. And especially the characters. I still write some fic for this game, mostly based on the villains (I remember I was on Tumblr roleplaying with some friends in the game's universe and we had almost the entire minion group at one point...aside from the Count himself, sadly).
I hope to maybe attempt some voice acting based on a couple of the game's characters at some point.

Favorite songs from the game have to be the theme for the first Brobot fight, Gloam Valley, or Proof of Existence (the epilogue).

Anyone have a favorite character in the game? All the characters were pretty neat ^_^

Back
Top Bottom