Blocks & Decoration Support Beams! Pesky Gravity NoMore [IDEA]

zedlander1000

Steampunker
Support Beams: Keeping Life Held Up
Here is a situation for you: You are a lovely terrarian, making innovations in the realm of transportation and one day you decide you want to make a fast travel system.
You go on to build a tunnel that spans all across your world for people to easily go from one side of the world to another side of the world. You decide to make it relatively close
to the surface so people don't have to go deep down in a cave to access some quick travel. As you go on along your marry way constructing your marvelous, you come across a
snag in your plans. You ran into a desert :( oh my, what shall you do? You cant just mine out the whole desert can you? You mine as well figure out another option for quick travel.

How about another situation: You find your self in the shoes of miner trying to dig out a cave. No!!! You came across a cave in. It's gonna take you a while to mine out all of those falling
blocks :/ mine as well dig around them. You find your self in a big pocket of the falling blocks and no way of stopping the blocks from falling. It is a pain to go all the way around this pocket just to get where you want to go. "Why cant i just dig straight through :(?" Because you will die of suffocation.

==============================================================================================================================================

q46x6bO.png

In The picture above is me in one of those situations (Situation #1). I have no clue what to do anymore for my world tunnel
that I've been working on for a while now. Bout to just give up and find a way around it or find a different method of begging game
fast travel. This can be avoided though with a block that would be awesome to have in the game and would bring so much use for
building opportunities.

I Present to you the "Support Beam" block

Description:​
The "Support Beam" block is as it sounds. It supports other blocks, mainly the ones that have gravity, and keeps them from falling. The "Support Beam" prevents falling tiles
as well provides decorations for hand made mines or just keeps the ground above you from falling on you even if you don't know the falling blocks were there.

581DoCI.png

Above is a representation image of how this block works.
The support beam has two parts to it. The leg and the arm.
Legs are created when a "Support Beam" block is placed on a solid block
and are continued vertically.
Arms are created when a "Support Beam" block is placed on a leg
and are continued horizontally.

That is the creation of a fully functional "Support Beam".
One leg functions as a working "Support Beam" but only supports
the blocks directly above the leg.

Block Placement:

Block Placement works in a special way compared to other blocks because Arms and Legs have
certain placement conditions.

To place a Leg, it must be in an empty space no occupied by a block and then can be further placed upright just like a normal block.
Arms on the other hand need to be attached to the Leg. Arms can be placed in both occupied spots and unoccupied spots meaning that
Arms can be placed inside blocks sort of like the Actuator but can also take up a spot of its own. This is so the player is able to attach the
"Support Beam" without actually having to free up a space for the block to occupy. Arms also have a limit to them and cannot be placed
farther than 10 or so blocks away from the leg. After you place 10 Arms length out, you must erect a new Leg to continue.

Arms support any block it is placed on as well as the blocks above it and are visible through the blocks they are placed on.
(Below is a diagram of how the Arms and Leg support gravity affected blocks)

xwilnBS.png

Additional Special Properties of The Block:

FZtCRl7.png

==============================================================================================================================================
Update to Post: #1
New Addition:
-Support Beams are breakable with pickaxes.
-Legs can be placed inside blocks as well?
-Ceiling architecture and arcs can be build in conjunction together to make a system/network of connections to keep up large gravity affected structures up.
-Arms can be placed 1/3 of player build reach?
-Arms and legs support an addition +2 blocks adjacent to them?
-Breaking Arms inside of blocks: Priority of what is being destroyed goes to the block and then the Arm.
-Legs have a height limit?
-Additional Item: Tunneling drill:

Heredity: Tungsten pick
Special property: When mining gravity affected blocks, cancels out the gravity for x amount of time so tunnels can be constructed.
if the x-amount of time is reached, the gravity affected blocks will cause a cave in.
Use: Allows the ability to tunnel through gravity affected blocks in order to evenly disperse Legs.

(Decided to post this little update for a few balancing reasons)
(if anyone wants to add on, please suggest away)​

Last edited:
Update to Post: #1
New Addition:
-Support Beams are breakable with pickaxes.
-Legs can be placed inside blocks as well?
-Ceiling architecture and arcs can be build in conjunction together to make a system/network of connections to keep up large gravity affected structures up.
-Arms can be placed 1/3 of player build reach?
-Arms and legs support an addition +2 blocks adjacent to them?
-Breaking Arms inside of blocks: Priority of what is being destroyed goes to the block and then the Arm.
-Legs have a height limit?
-Additional Item: Tunneling drill:
Heredity: Tungsten pick
Special property: When mining gravity affected blocks, cancels out the gravity for x amount of time so tunnels can be constructed.
if the x-amount of time is reached, the gravity affected blocks will cause a cave in.
Use: Allows the ability to tunnel through gravity affected blocks in order to evenly disperse Legs.
(Decided to post this little update for a few balancing reasons)​

Back
Top Bottom