Symphony of The Night

MolochMekkane

The Destroyer
Didn't see one here yet, so I figured I'd see who here likes Symphony of The Night. I suppose I'll first tell of my own story and experience.

I did not have a PlayStation as a child. I did not have many of the famous things when I was younger. My experience with this game was really looking at and discovering it - in 2013. I got obsessive with it as I began to look towards what I was going to do with my Christmas money. I finally settled on a PlayStation 3, which I got around New Year's. For a few days I had nothing, and since it was the 12 GB Flash model, The only games I could really get were going to be PS Classics. (I have since, months after that, got my hands on a 500 GB HDD, so that issue is now gone.) It came down to picking two, which would be all I would have for a while. It finally went down to two games I have never, ever, played; Silent Hill 1, and Symphony of The Night.

As I began playing through Symphony of The Night, I began to see similitaries between it and Super Metroid (another thing I never had was a SNES, so I got to experience Super Metroid as a unique non-nostaligic Virtual Console game on my Wii.) This in fact was not bad, because I loved Super Metroid. This game however had some of my favorite things (RPG Elements, Exploring, Castles, Swords, Monsters) and threw them together. I was fully hooked and ready to go. I thought the game was going to be short when it seemed like I was already at the end, but that's when I looked around and found the rings, which lead to exposing the Inverted Castle. By the end of it I had seen and done many awesome things, heard awesome music, and then got the best ending.

I'm really glad it exists, and to this day I keep finding new secrets that I missed the last time.

Enough on my end, what are your experiences? What music/weapon/boss/spell and such are your favorite?

I didn't play Symphony of the Night until 2012. I had played other "Metroid"-vania games (Primarily Aira and Dawn of Sorrow, my personal favorites.) before hand though, so I had somewhat of an idea what to expect from SotN, including the concept of multiple endings. The music in the game is fantastic, and like other metroidvanias, despite feeling slower, to me, it still controlled wonderfully. My personal favorite track is "The Tragic Prince". The Crissaegrim, despite being incredibly hard to get due to it's drop rate, was a fun and powerful weapon to use and well worth the effort put into acquiring it. My favorite boss to fight overall was Galamoth, and my overall favorite spell to use, despite the issue I have entering the combo for it, is soul steal.

I played it first on the 360, then later got the PSP version, Dracula X Chronicles. Its an alright game, I can see why its so influential, but the magic isnt there for me, since I played the GBA double pack of Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow first, already experiencing better "metroidvania" games

This was one of the first games I got on my PlayStation, and I loved it. Today I bought and downloaded it on my PS3, and it's still as awesome and addicting as ever.
It was, and is, beautifully designed, and shows that a good game doesn't need good graphics. I love Metroidvania games, and this is one of my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom