PC Terraria Closing When Loading a World

CJ The Dreemurr

Terrarian
So I recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 10, and I've been playing Terraria, and for the first couple days it ran smooth as can be, but lately I've been having issues in regards to actually getting into gameplay; the game has been closing itself without any reports or anything when I try to load a world, not every time but a large percentage of times. The game will freeze, say it's not responding in the title bar thing, then close. I have also been having the "Out of Memory" crash, are the two related, and how do I fix this?

Note: Whenever I try to relaunch Terraria after this happens I have to close all instances of Steam in order to be able to reload the game, else the game doesn't start.

Last edited:
When you say the "out of memory" crash what do you mean? Is this for Terraria? Do you have a screenshot of that crash?

How much RAM do you have installed?

One more thing, do you have access to the Event Viewer? You can find this by pressing start and starting to type in event viewer. If you need a more detailed explanation on how to find it, or how to find the crash logs related to terraria let me know and I would be happy to help.

--sent from mobile

When you say the "out of memory" crash what do you mean? Is this for Terraria? Do you have a screenshot of that crash?

How much RAM do you have installed?

One more thing, do you have access to the Event Viewer? You can find this by pressing start and starting to type in event viewer. If you need a more detailed explanation on how to find it, or how to find the crash logs related to terraria let me know and I would be happy to help.

--sent from mobile
By "Out of Memory Crash" I mean when the game closes and displays the error message saying there was not enough memory, In regards to RAM and the Event Viewer, I have no idea how much RAM I have or how to find out, and for Event Viewer I will see if I can find it tomorow, but I'm not sure what it is or how to use it.

Open a file explorer and paste this into the url bar: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System

Screenshot the window that comes up and then should tell me how much RAM you have. Below is an example of what the window should look like.

g46iBxg.png

In addition, next time you get an out of memory crash press "ctrl+shift+esc" and then click advanced details in the bottom left (or switch to the processes tab if your on Win7). Screenshot me all the processes you have running at that given time. An example window of what I want is below.

jxgENi3.png

To find the event viewer press start and start typing in event viewer it should be a program, and should pull up a window that looks like the one below. Expand the arrow that's next to "Windows Logs" and then click "Application" in the left pane. Start looking through that and see if you can find anything related to Terraria. It should say Terraria as the source.

xZJZSNs.png

lKHH5IX.png

Another way we can find crash logs is to use the video that another user on the forums have been kind enough to make for us seen here:

That should give us more information on the beast we're attempting to tackle and what we can do about it.

Got the error again, this is what comes up, not sure what it means or how to deal with it. Also, I found that my laptop does indeed have Event Viewer, though I'm not sure what you want me to find with it.

(Edit: Not sure why the image uploaded twice or the way they did, and idk how to fix it, I'm still new to this forum)

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-26_18-31-30.png
    upload_2018-5-26_18-31-30.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 110
  • upload_2018-5-26_18-31-30.png
    upload_2018-5-26_18-31-30.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 111
For the out of memory error it's important to see how much physical RAM you have installed and how much of it the system considers unreserved and usable. Use the steps I posted above to see how much RAM you have installed, screenshot it, and post it here.

As for solutions, we need to close out everything that isn't terraria and steam, cut down some of the background processes to free up physical memory, and see if we get improvements. Use the steps I posted above to get me a screenshot of everything you have running at one time (you may need to manipulate the window size or take multiple screenshots to get everything) so I can see what we can turn off.

Another solution would be to increase your systems virtual memory. I need to know how much physical memory you have installed though to make sure the values we use will be correct.

Back
Top Bottom