Terraria Crashing - No Error Log

matthewforgue

Terrarian
Hi, everyone. I'm having a problem with Terraria crashing about 5 - 20 minutes into the game. I saw a similar post to this but it was from 2013 and I'm not sure it's applicable to my problem.

The crash happens seemingly at random. I might be building, digging, or fighting zombies. The game just hangs for a split second and then spontaneously closes.

I am using Steam. I have added "-logerrors -logfile" to Launch Options in Steam. But no error log is created. In fact, the \My Games\Terraria\ folder doesn't even contain a "logs" folder.

I've tried uninstalling the game, deleting the \My Games\Terraria\ folder, and reinstalling the game. I've tried running in windowed mode.

My PC is:
Windows 10 - 64 bit
Processor: Intel Core i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
Video: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060; 6 GB
DirectX 12

I've made sure I have the latest driver for my video card.

I'm playing in windowed mode on 1920 x 1080 resolution.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Let's try moving the default save directory to appdata instead. Copy the launch options I have pictured below. Replace the black bar with the name of the user account you are logged into in Windows.

2takvd9.png

If done correctly the next time you launch Terraria you'll need to redo your general and language settings. Then see if you crash.

That seems to have worked. I played for 40 minutes this morning with 0 crashes. Thank you!

I'm curious why the default save folder might have been causing the crashes.

It usually has to do with either aggressive anti-virus settings attempting to protect your Windows Libraries from Ransomware by locking it down or Cloud backup software (OneDrive, Google Drive, Drop Box, etc) trying to access the files while the game is using them.

I tried this to fix the same issue but I couldn't get it to save my current world data to the new directory, is there a way to do this? i have a world i have with mods and ive been having very similar crashes tho this.

Back
Top Bottom