Resolved Terraria crashing out due to xaudio2_6.dll on Windows 10

Maru

Terrarian
Update (FIXED!): Disabling Japanese IME entirely appears to resolve the xaudio2_6.dll crashing as reported in Windows Event Viewer. I use multi-language support regularly so I will move my game saves to play on another Windows user for now.

Hey guys,

My husband and I are having issues with crashing in Terraria PC. We just started playing again after a very long hiatus.

I just recently updated to Windows 10 Home from Windows 8.1, so I'm expecting that this will be more of a bug report rather than a support request, but here goes...

Here is my situation:

The problems started a few days ago when we began a new game. We seemed fine the first day and we used Host & Play as IP without Steam. I left the game open overnight because my husband was still playing in the server when I went to bed. The next day however, the crashes started for both of us that morning.

My husband believes his crashing may actually be due to using full screen, so he plays as a maximized windows now. He's had some crashing, but I think that his has actually mostly stopped. I'm the one who is mainly having the issue, because it doesn't seem to matter, maximized or not, why I am crashing.

My crashes are unreproducible but fairly frequent (1-4x per 2hr session). It's more annoying since I am the host, we end up losing progress. I checked my video card drivers. All are updated on Nvidia's and claim to be Windows 10 compatible. Ok... so I started to Google. I noticed some people in Steam forums were saying the Steam cloud function was causing some crashing on autosave, so I went ahead and disabled it in Library > Terraria > Properties > Update. I never used the feature anyway.

The crashing didn't stop, so I looked at Windows Event Viewer to see what was actually being reported when it would crash. My Event Viewer is in a foreign language, so difficult to post. The crashing module it claims is crashing is XAudio2_6.dll (Version 9.28.1886.0). My crash doesn't illicit any other sort of error, just a "Terraria.exe has stopped responding" and crash to desktop.

I am using onboard sound (Realtek). I did check their site to find out they had Windows 10 drivers, so I updated those. My crashing seems to be less, but I am still getting the same error in Windows Event Viewer (XAudio2_6.dll related crash). I know this is a DirectX file but I haven't tried downloading DX9 and reinstalling it.

The other thing worth mentioning is I am using Stereo Bluetooth Headset while playing. The signal is solid and I am not having any disconnects. Turning them off once did manage to crash the program outright but other times when I have accidentally done the same thing, the problem didn't reproduce. I'm not sure if it is causing the issue, so I am going to try to play without (which sucks...)

Yesterday we upgraded his video card and I took his old card since his old was faster than the current one I had been using. So actually I had a graphics card change included there (to AMD instead of Nvidia). Same issue and same error.

So far I can think of three possibilities so far causing the issue...

1) Terraria is not playing nice with my bluetooth headset ****ruled out****
2) I need to download and reinstall DirectX9 for some reason****ruled out****
or 3) It's a general Windows 10 compatibility problem (?)​

Things I have tried:

1) I am running Terraria.exe as Administrator.
2) Turned off Steam Cloud
3) I tried compatibility mode to Windows 7 in Program Properties and still am crashing
4) I updated my Realtek soundchip drivers to be sure the drivers I am running are Windows 10 compatible
5) I checked video card drivers and made sure I am running Windows 10 current drivers. (NVidia)
6) I changed out video cards (AMD) and checked that those drivers were up to date as well
7) I stopped playing in full screen and played only as a maximized window
8) I changed out sound card (Added 09/15/15)
9) I tried single player (Added 09/7/15)
10) Reinstalled XNA 4.0 framework (Added 09/7/15)
11) Tried playing without bluetooth stereo headset and made sure my soundcard was setup as the "default device" (it was already) (Added 09/7/15)
12) Uninstalled and then reinstalled Terraria (Added 09/7/15)
13) I updated DirectX and DX9 files. (Added 09/9/15)
14) Copying over Xaudio2_6.dll directly from the Feb 2010 distribution kit. Both copies were the same. (Added 09/9/15)
15) Updated my BIOS (Added 09/9/15)
16) Removed a Windows 10 update that updates some DX9 files (mainly 3D) to rule out possibility of bad update (KB3081424) (Added 09/9/15)
17) Disabled every other audio output than the one I needed to play the game (Added 09/9/15)
18) tomojanko and I have the same problem and we are both using Japanese locale/IME, so we are currently testing that theory... **Update: SUCCESS, Disabling IME entirely stops crashing!!**

I have started a fresh native American English user account in Windows 10 and have had no crashes after 4-5 long play sessions (1.5~2hr+)! (09/15/15) (See Note)

System specs:

Windows 10 Home 64bit (Latest updates)
Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4Ghz
16GB RAM
Gigabyte B85M-D3H Mobo
Triple Monitor setup (3x 1080p screens) across two video cards
Video 1: (PCIE) AMD Radeon HD 6850 and tried nVidia GTS 450 as well
Video 2: (CPU Onboard) Intel HD Graphics 4600
Realtek "High Definition Audio"
Broadcom Bluetooth /w Jabra Move headphones
Japanese language pack and Microsoft IME enabled

Last edited:
--Add single player to list of things I have tried.
--Reinstalled XNA 4.0 framework.
--Tried playing without bluetooth headset and also set the soundcard as a "default"
device.
Edit: --Just reinstalled Terraria... I made my char and my world and I left it at the screen to go do something. Come back about 20 minutes later. Crash window shows up again...

Multiple crashes since.

crash.jpg

I don't get any kind of crash log either through steam or Terraria after it crashes. Just simply "Terraria has stopped responding..." and the Event Viewer logs.

xaudio.jpg
xaudio_2.jpg

Last edited:
Well I tried a few more things.

--I updated DirectX and conversely DX9. I even pulled from the distribution kit (Feb 2010 I think) and copied over the problem .dll. Still same issues.
--Tried Windows compatibility mode again (XP and 7 mode)... neither worked
--I went ahead and updated my BIOS since there was an update beneficial to my CPU... probably
--I read about an Windows 10 update that updated DX9 files that caused a handful of issues with other users so I uninstalled to be sure and sure enough, still crashing.
--Some other stuff I don't remember right now...

I'll probably try playing without sound support at all (disable sound on mobo) and we'll see how that goes. It'll suck, but I'm trying to rule out other things that could be going on.

This really sucks. :( This is what hubby and I were going to do on our off time for the next few weeks. I'm having him host the world now, but constantly crashing makes it difficult to progress...

I'm having the same problem. Didn't know about Windows Event Viewer until now but it's the showing the same error with XAudio2_6.dll. I have no ideas unfortunately, I guess I'll just post my specs too.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Intel Core i5-5200U 2.20GHz
8 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 5500
Switchable Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M275
Realtek High Definition Audio

I plugged in a Creative Labs Audigy card we had around and turned off the Realtek in the BIOS settings, downloaded the Windows 10 driver...
I even went as far as disabling some extra inputs a few days ago I was not using to rule out bait and switch.
Same exact crash error.

soundinputs_disabled.JPG

(Yes, my computer is normally in Japanese. I changed it temporarily so people could read the Event Viewer logs in proper English)

I could be wrong, but I think that pretty much rules out a sound card driver issue.

I'm having the same problem. Didn't know about Windows Event Viewer until now but it's the showing the same error with XAudio2_6.dll. I have no ideas unfortunately, I guess I'll just post my specs too.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Intel Core i5-5200U 2.20GHz
8 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 5500
Switchable Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M275
Realtek High Definition Audio

Looks like we're sharing the Realtek and Windows 10, but I just changed the sound card and I'm still getting the error.
I wonder why we're the only ones having the issue...

When you went to 10, did you do a clean install or are you running off an upgraded OS? Which OS did you upgrade from?

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 but did a clean install right after.

Maybe the Japanese is causing it somehow? I actually have my system locale set to Japan too (though language is still English). I'll try changing that next time it happens

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 but did a clean install right after.

Maybe the Japanese is causing it somehow? I actually have my system locale set to Japan too (though language is still English). I'll try changing that next time it happens

Wow, it's certainly worth a try to rule it out. I also came from Windows 8.1 but didn't see a need for a clean install as everything is running fine

Are you using the Japanese retail version with an English language pack over top? Just curious. I'm on the English retail, but I have mostly everything reconfigured to Japanese including program language. I'll paste a picture of my exact settings (many of which overlap, thanks Microsoft). I also have the IME enabled as well which I imagine you might. I know that used to cause issues with some older programs.

I'll just create another user and it should be all English under the hood with IME disabled. Then I can compare the two profile settings... hopefully it stops the crashing.

Sorry for the late reply, I was taking a few days off for some other stuff.

You are running 1.3.0.7, please update and confirm issue. Seeing you have multiple audio devices, you need to inform windows what audio device to use by default, in this case, the on-board audio is recommended.

AMD High Definition Audio or the original Audio

You are running 1.3.0.7, please update and confirm issue. Seeing you have multiple audio devices, you need to inform windows what audio device to use by default, in this case, the on-board audio is recommended.

I am running 1.3.0.8 (the latest up to date version on Steam) and have been throughout testing.

I tried disabling other outputs (as you can see in the picture above with the "down arrow") and still produced the same problem. The only inputs I have not tried disabling is "Digital Audio" and Bluetooth (even though it is disconnected) in Sound, so I will try those to rule out... I had already made sure to select a "default" as I had read up that could cause issues with DX.

Thanks

Wow, it's certainly worth a try to rule it out. I also came from Windows 8.1 but didn't see a need for a clean install as everything is running fine

Are you using the Japanese retail version with an English language pack over top? Just curious. I'm on the English retail, but I have mostly everything reconfigured to Japanese including program language. I'll paste a picture of my exact settings (many of which overlap, thanks Microsoft). I also have the IME enabled as well which I imagine you might. I know that used to cause issues with some older programs.

I'll just create another user and it should be all English under the hood with IME disabled. Then I can compare the two profile settings... hopefully it stops the crashing.

Sorry for the late reply, I was taking a few days off for some other stuff.

It's alright I've been doing other things too. I'm on English retail and I only changed 2 things in Region settings in Control Panel, date & time format set to Japanese and system locale set to Japan. I also use Google Japanese IME. My display language is still English for everything because I'm lazy but whatever.

Anyway I set those options back to English (Canada) and it just started crashing again, so that wasn't the problem for me at least.
I did realize that simply restarting my laptop seems to postpone the problem for a while, so I can play for a couple hours at a time. But the game will always eventually crash again after a day or 2 of the laptop staying on, and then continue crashing every 10-20 minutes, until I restart again.

I did realize that simply restarting my laptop seems to postpone the problem for a while, so I can play for a couple hours at a time. But the game will always eventually crash again after a day or 2 of the laptop staying on, and then continue crashing every 10-20 minutes, until I restart again.

I've noticed that too. It seems to last the longest after the first boot of Terraria after any reboot. I almost never restart my machine unless there is a major update or for hardware changes. I usually put it to sleep. Lately I've had to open my comp a few times. I had a backup HDD go bad, I changed video cards (and changed back a few days later after the AMD drivers were having issues with Photoshop/Illustrator) and installed the other soundcard.

To confirm, I disabled ALL other sound devices aside from what was necessary for running sound in game and still am crashing. I unplugged bluetooth, a bunch of other non-essential sound devices (such as HDMI) are already disabled in Device Mgr. This is what my sound settings were like at the time. The "Digital Audio Interface" in the snapshot is disabled.

sound_settings.JPG

I already tested onboard audio from before when this card was not in the machine. Both have available Windows 10 drivers. Currently mobo audio is disabled in the BIOS. I had taken out the Soundblaster before I went bluetooth when I was wanting to use the front port audio jacks. I am leaving the card in now since it allows me to have my two USB front jacks back. I had to unplug the front USB ports with the mobo audio because they were causing a ground loop/feedback noise with audio from sharing the same ground as the USB ports built into the case. Nothing like hearing your computer "think".

I did create another fresh user profile to test out an English only profile to see if for some reason the language settings were causing a problem. I played a bit, but I don't think long enough yet to rule out a crash. I'm running Visual Studio as a debugger attached to Terraria.exe on a second screen while playing just in case it gives me more info on the Unhandled Exception. It hasn't happened yet while that has been running.

I think the IME is indeed the culprit. I changed it to English input after my last post, the crashing stopped and it seems to be fine since then, without restarting my laptop at all. Still paranoid so I'll give it several more days like this to be sure, then enable the IME to see if the crashing resumes.

I think the IME is indeed the culprit. I changed it to English input after my last post, the crashing stopped and it seems to be fine since then, without restarting my laptop at all. Still paranoid so I'll give it several more days like this to be sure, then enable the IME to see if the crashing resumes.

This is interesting. I've played about 4-5 big sessions (2hr+) on the fresh/100% English user and I have had no issues whatsoever. :):):) I've given it a few days and I've had no problems. None. I tried with a new player/world, but then I copied over the save/world I was playing on and no crashes. Even played multiplayer with no issues.

Maybe it is a regional problem or maybe a background process causing problems. I've always had the IME enabled since Win98 and I've never had problems with any games crashing out from it. Some apps have had issues with it, but I just Alt/Tab out and turn it off (to English). Most games tend to "ignore" IME in general. I will have to try disabling IME on my primary user and see if it stops the crashing altogether. Not the worst workaround if that is causing it.

*****NOTE***** I did notice something weird when I first installed Terraria on Win10 for the first time after that I had to check integrity of files in Steam to even get it to open. It would load the process, but there would no CPU usage. The same exact thing happened when I tried to open Terraria in Steam in the fresh user I made and I had to revalidate cache and "1 file" failed verification. Both times, it opened afterwards no problem. Weird. I checked it a few times when I was crashing and it was still validating then OK so I don't think it was the cause. Interesting.

Woo hoo!!

I'm going to leave the IME on for now so I can still reproduce the problem in a debugger on my normal user. If I turn off IME and it doesn't crash anymore, then we'll know. By the way, I am using Microsoft IME.

4.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I've never had a problem like this before either. I played Terraria on Windows 7 with an IME plenty and never had any issues back then.

Anyway I finally re-enabled it today and like clockwork it started crashing again. It also happens with both Google IME and Microsoft IME for me. So I guess that's that. Hopefully a dev will see this thread or something, or at least people can find it in Google if they have the same issue.

Sorry for the delay. I had taken a short break from Terraria to play another game and then this month I had a family member move in post-surgery so I could care take. This is the first time in a long while I've had enough time to play the game long enough to be "test-worthy" anyway.

I tried changing the "mode" within IME to English and I still had the crashing. I had Visual Studio running attached to Terraria's process and it kept looping through a few Exceptions repeatedly in the debugger. Nothing that seems to point to the cause directly so I didn't note it.

Like tomojanko, disabling IME entirely seems to have stopped the crashing. The husband and I played two days straight with 0 crashing. I didn't have to restart my system after disabling IME, so it seems to the culprit.

For me, this means I will probably have to move Terraria saves back to a secondary English only user and play that way since I use IME on a regular basis. Annoying, but not bad for a bug fix. I don't multi-task during games anyway so I don't really need the distractions.

I feel bad for anyone who needs moji/character support in-game. Not even sure if Terraria even allows Japanese input.

Last edited:
I have the exact kind off problem that you had Maru, and I dont know how to solve it since I dont have an Japanese IME. Do you have any knowledge of this otherwise? I am from Sweden and only use that kind off IME. Please help me. I'll put down the signatures off the problem.
Problem event name: APPCRASH
Program: Terraria.exe
Program version: 1.3.0.7
Program time stamp: 55c8fafb
Name on sql_tokens: XAudio2_6.dll
Token version: 9.28.1886.0
Timestamp for sql_token: 4b6b0791
Exemption code: c0000005
Except offset: 0004bcf9
OS-version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Languagevariant-ID: 1053
Other information 1: 0a9e
Other information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Other information 3: 0a9e
Other information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
This was'nt so easy to translate but I think u can get the hang off it. I beg you guys, with the best regards, Zeff.

I have the exact kind off problem that you had Maru, and I dont know how to solve it since I dont have an Japanese IME. Do you have any knowledge of this otherwise? I am from Sweden and only use that kind off IME. Please help me. I'll put down the signatures off the problem.
Problem event name: APPCRASH
Program: Terraria.exe
Program version: 1.3.0.7
Program time stamp: 55c8fafb
Name on sql_tokens: XAudio2_6.dll
Token version: 9.28.1886.0
Timestamp for sql_token: 4b6b0791
Exemption code: c0000005
Except offset: 0004bcf9
OS-version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Languagevariant-ID: 1053
Other information 1: 0a9e
Other information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Other information 3: 0a9e
Other information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
This was'nt so easy to translate but I think u can get the hang off it. I beg you guys, with the best regards, Zeff.

Zeff, it probably does not matter which language your IME is used for given the way IME works.

The easiest way to disable it without having to disable/re-enable every time you play Terraria is to create a new Windows user without any IME support at all. I've tried changing writing modes and it does not matter if I selected straight English or not. You have to disable it entirely otherwise the error will still occur.

Disabling IME is in Windows 10 Control Panel under "Language" if you want to confirm your IME is disabled. If you use straight English with your physical keyboard settings (no IME), then you should be good.

Zeff, it probably does not matter which language your IME is used for given the way IME works.

The easiest way to disable it without having to disable/re-enable every time you play Terraria is to create a new Windows user without any IME support at all. I've tried changing writing modes and it does not matter if I selected straight English or not. You have to disable it entirely otherwise the error will still occur.

Disabling IME is in Windows 10 Control Panel under "Language" if you want to confirm your IME is disabled. If you use straight English with your physical keyboard settings (no IME), then you should be good.

So I had my Soundblaster soundboard disabled for attempting to solve the XAudio_6.dll issue, but that just ended up in another issue, that is connected with my Nvidia graphic card, but if u think I should make a new user with an disabled IME then I will try it out, Im at school right now so will try it as soon as I come home, will reply with answer as soon as I have tried it out, thank you so much for taking ur time!

Back
Top Bottom