Resolved Terraria Expert Mode: Are The Mechanical Bosses Even Possible

Who was the first Mechanical Boss you beat?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaconOverLrd

Terrarian
Im not going to lie to you guys, I am actually ashamed of my self for asking this question. But I need to know if it is even possible to beat the Mechanical Bosses in expert mode without having to go into normal mode and beat them there, then return with post-Mechanical Boss items. I REALLY want to do it without doing that, and I would also prefer to beat them without doing it the easy way out (Building a sky bridge so The Destroyer cant get you and then shoot at him, or sealing yourself inside a box with honey and a heart statue and leave a few block out so you can kill The Twins easily, and I don't know one for Skeletron Prime XD) I want to try to do it the right way, because if I did it like that it wouldn't feel like a real win to me.
Because so far, I have tried countless times for each boss and it is IMPOSSIBLE to kill them... and also I would like to know which boss is the easiest to get prepared for then fight...
(If you need to know my gear then I can tell you) Thanks in advanced for those who help!

(I am new to the Terraria Forums, so I don't know if this is the right place)

It is certainly possible to beat the Expert Mech Bosses without using higher tier items from a different world. I just beat all 3 of them with items only from my current Expert Mode playthrough in these past few days.

The 1st Mech Boss I beat was Skeletron Prime, because I didn't know how hard the Destroyer would be with its greatly increased attack power and had to use something different than the box method. And I failed to the Twins earlier so I decided to fight them later. I built a massive arena (about 4 rows of 333 platforms across) with spacing designed for angel wings + Spectre boots and higher to take on all 3 of them, if this is considered "not the right way" I'm not sure what is. You just have to use as many things as possible to give yourself an advantage since that's what it really means to get good at this game and any game you play. If doing it the right way means just going unprepared to a natural uneven area of Terrain, its going to be extremely difficult to kill any hardmode boss.

Here is the video of my 1st Mech Boss Kill. I use very few buffs in this one and mostly use the Daedalus Stormbow in combination with the Gatligator (which can be bought from the Traveling Merchant in Hardmode and makes a good upgrade to the Minishark until getting the Megashark).

It is. It's a little tough, but it is. It takes the right strategies and gear, much like pre hard did, you can't win with just anything.

Too lazy to go into strats, just letting you know; keep at it.

Skeletron Prime and Twins are more or less unchanged. Twins are the easiest imo if you focus down Retinazer who's the biggest threat and not Spazmatism like on normal (Those lasers hurt like nothing else). Skeletron Prime is exactly the same as before once you get rid of his laser gun. Destroyer is by far the hardest and is made of hatred on Expert. I've found the best strategy is to fight him from a high elevation as it keeps all of the lasers coming at you from roughly the same direction (below you) as long as you keep on the probes.

Yes it is very possible to beat the mechanical bosses. You just need to prepare properly for each of them and you should be able to get it. Personally on my playthrough I used summons, as that's my main class. But if you just want to straight up beat the bosses without worrying about doing specific classes, different setups work well for different bosses.

I would highly suggest doing the destroyer first. I personally beat him with imps + titanium repeater with jester arrows. Imps all do piercing damage, and so do holy arrows. It makes this fight a joke. Oh and you want to be careful with how far off the ground you are with the destroyer. If your high up enough he'll enrage and will deal much more damage towards you. But for the most part as long as you can do that the fight should be easy.

Next up I fought skeletron, but you can also do the twins if that suits you more. For skeletron I used the same exact setup as the destroyer, except this time I used a titanium repeater. Again I used jester arrows just so I can pierce all of his segments, but it's not nearly as important for this fight. You can use something like cursed arrows.

Then the eyes are what I did last. As a summoner this fight for me was the hardest. The other two I was able to beat straight up with no problem, but for the twins I had to use mirror + nurse in order to stay alive.

Oh and the biggest suggestions I can give for all 3 fights. One, make sure you use as many buffs that help you as you possibly can. They go a long way, and they will greatly help you. And two, even if your not a summoner, get the imp staff. Once you get the imp staff, get the bewitching table and a summoner pot. With that you can have 3 imps out at once, they wont be the most damaging thing ever but it's extra dps. You can't deny extra dps to helping you win a fight. Remember, this is expert mode. You want to get suck out every small advantage you need in order to help you win these fights if you are having trouble.

ok, I think I got it, think .-. ..... just use a repeater or some kinda powerful bow and spam powerful arrows while using tons of buffs...

ok, I think I got it, think .-. ..... just use a repeater or some kinda powerful bow and spam powerful arrows while using tons of buffs...
That's not nearly the only way to beat them, you can easily beat them with any kind of gear if you know the strats. It's just that's the most "streamlined" (aka easiest for anyone to do) way, as it's easiest if you simply want them dead and nothing else.

That's not nearly the only way to beat them, you can easily beat them with any kind of gear if you know the strats. It's just that's the most "streamlined" (aka easiest for anyone to do) way, as it's easiest if you simply want them dead and nothing else.

I'm not sure I quite agree. I mean, on a total technicality, yes, you can probably make most weapons work, but some of them I'm positive just don't have the DPS or survivability needed to take down a mech. I can almost guarantee a gungnir or excalibur kill on Twins or Prime isn't happening on Expert, nor would something like Cursed Flames (the spell)

To be honest, I didn't notice any difference between normal and expert for the mechanical bosses.
I still found the Destroyer the easiest, then Skeletron Prime followed by the Twins.
An easy way to murder the Destroyer as said so many times is Daedalus Stormbow and Holy arrows... With this and an ironskin, you only need to dodge the Destroyer's head :)
As to the others, I just make an asphalt bridge and use the Megashark and Ichor/Crystal bullets as well as some potions.

Good luck with the bosses, just go into the fights with a positive outlook ;)

Most bosses are a joke up until golem (but only because of the enclosed space) when you obtain the Daedalus Stormbow + Holy arrows, with an archery potion, wrath potion, magic quiver, decent wings (I use fairy up until I can acquire Steampunk wings) etc. I'd reforge the stormbow for Unreal and every accessory for warding. Keep a stack of healing potions, and if you find the cooldown hard to deal with, use a charm of myths. I've only really tried and tested this on the mechanical bosses on expert mode, but I don't see why plantera shouldn't fall pray to it if you build a HUGE arena with lots of vertical space for the stormbow.
You should absolutely be using either a fast mount or frostsparks, as well.

But yes, the destroyer falls under a minute with this strategy. I can't offer anything in terms of strategy for summoner, melee/tank or mage, because I don't like to play as those classes.

I had a terrible time with the twins thinking they would be the easiest. When I finally beat them I found out the other 2 were no problem at all. Skeletron was the easiest for me. I have wings and a stormbow, just jumped/flew in a big circle around him contantly shooting and didn't even have to use a healing potion.

They're difficult. I found the Twins the hardest fight, and had to use potions and a heart statue to take them down. For all the bosses except the Destroyer I used a Daedalus Stormbow (which is fairly easy to get your hands on) with Holy arrows as well as a Meteor staff. For the Destroyer I think I just used a mythical Laser Rifle and probably a Demon Scythe. I should have skipped mining Titanium since I never used it at all. I went from Orichalcum up to Hallowed armor once I'd beaten the destroyer.

The destroyer isn't difficult, you just need to pay close attention to his head, since the damage from that can one shot you. Otherwise he can be fought like normal. For Skeletron prime I honestly didn't notice a difference from normal mode, with the stormbow and arrows he went down fairly easily. I had a heart statue set up for him but honestly it wasn't necessary. The Twins are a real pain. You want regeneration, ironskin, and swiftness at least. Definitely build a wooden platform arena with campfires and heart lanterns for them as well. They're harder to kite than in normal, and once one gets near death it can be pretty difficult to dodge both. They're all possible to kill, just don't get excited for their expert mode item, it's a bit underwhelming.

to be honest I think that Skeletron Prime will be the easiest to beat, I can already last until morning with him... I can't do that with the other bosses, anyways, thanks for the help guys! :)

I only beat the destroyer "legitimately"; I bounced between two teleporters at opposite ends of my arena for Skeletron Prime and The Twins while shooting them with meteors/crystal shards/whatever. I used the new life drain spell from crimson mimics (along with a standard arena, potions, etc.) to beat the destroyer; it's great at hitting lots of segments at once, and super easy to aim at the laser-shooting balls that pop out as well. Didn't know how awesome the daedalus stormbow was at the time.

I defeated mechanical bosses a while ago, first the skeletron prime went down (with a seddler I got through fishing), if you can get a daedalus stormbow life becomes easier especially with Hellfire arrows you can defeat him and The destroyer as well, to defeat the destroyer you must avoid it's head, to do that use the minimap, you can see what's his head doing. after defeating the destroyer I crafted a Megashark with crystal bullets to take the twins down, for me the twins are always the hardest, I got killed a few times by the twins, one of them was because I was using Fishing gear, and I didn't notice

I got the Daedalus Stormbow with Holy Arrows. and I completely REKT The Destroyer and Skeletron Prime with over half the night left when I was done XD
Anyways thanks for the help guys... I didn't even know about the Daedalus Stormbow when I first asked, so thanks for all the help! :merchanthappy:

So, just picked up the Mecha Mayhem cheeve on Expert. Didn't use any mild cheddar like summoning only 2 of them and then the third right before one of the first one died. Launched all 3 at once.

Daedelus Stormbow w/Holy Arrows
Nimbus Rod
Golden Shower
Queen Spider Staff
2x Pirate Minions
Full Frost Armor
Ankh Shield
Worm Scarf
Charm of Myths
Frozen Wings
Frostspark Boots
Star Veil
(all accessories reforged to either +3 or +4 defense)

Buffed with every damned thing..Ammo Box/Crystal Ball/Sharpening Stone

Potions of: Bowl of Soup, Heartreach, Regeneration, Endurance, Wrath, Rage, Inferno, Ironskin, Lifeforce, Swiftness, Thorns, Archery, & Ammo Conservation.

I have a lava pit arena set up near my home base with a platform elevated above the pit out of jumping range of Possessed and other nuisances. So far it's worked well for invasions and solar eclipses, but I haven't had a solar eclipse with Mothron yet, so that remains to be seen. The elevated platform has a set of 4 heart statues, 2 wired to a 3 second timer, 2 wired to a 5 second timer so the hearts come out staggered. I basically flew like the wind and just held down the mouse button to launch arrows and focused almost entirely on dodging things like spinning Skeletron and the pointy end of the Destroyer. Re-apply pee and nimbus clouds as needed.

The game decided to reward me with 2 developer sets (Will's and Lazure's...the yoyo popped with Godly on it already) when I opened the bags.

A good day.

Well, now I have killed all the Mechanical Bosses, now Plantera is next... or at least it WOULD be, if I could find some Giant Tortoises, I started about 3:00 PM it is now 2:15 AM, and I only have 2 Turtle Shells.... you know nothing of the patience I have for this kinda stuff, and about five minutes ago a Turtle Shell dropped in some lava, im not lying when I say I started crying from frustration... and I still need to find another life fruit.... :merchantcry:

With mithril armor, nimbus rod, some exploding bullets or a piercing weapon and the right design for an arena the destroyer can be killed over and over with no skill required at all. You want some room to move, but still keep yourself walled in to protect you against the lazers. Thats probably enough info to work it out.
You might not even need the piercing/exploding weapon. I killed him before my 5 minute buffs (regen+iron skin) wore off so you could probably just let the nimbus rod kill him.
Dont do too much dps at once otherwise you will get more spawns from him than you would like.
Once you can farm destroyer that will give you hallowed armor and the megashark to help you on the other 2 mechs.

I've used the Daedelus Stormbow with Holy Arrows + Frost Armor. It's awesome and it obliterates all Mechanical Bosses, especially The Destroyer (took like 30 seconds to kill him). It's a very strong weapon that can be acquired early on.

Getting to the jungle may be frustrating pre-Plantera. Most of the enemies deal high damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom