Terraria not launching - Win10 B1803

Marbolid

Terrarian
So, whenever I try to launch Terraria trough steam(or the GoG version) it simply doesn't start.
On steam it behaves with the regular launch prep > game running and then just turns off syncs and nothing.
The GoG version just does nothing.
I've tried checking the compatibility, I've tried reinstalling the game, running it as admin, validating files, reinstalling .net and xnafx, restarting my steam, restarting my computer, etc etc, all the usual fixes.
What I haven't tried is manually uninstalling the .net and xnafx since I experienced a similar problem with Paradox's CK2 which was solved by manually uninstalling certain dll's and then installing/repairing DX and C++ with the ones provided in the steam game folder. If anyone could lead me to those so I can attempt it or knows of a way to fix this it'd be great.
Downgrading windows isn't a possibility atm.

Thx in advance.

PS - Windows 10 Build 1803 64bit, Ryzen 3, nVidia GForce 1050.

2 consistent errors occur in the Event Viewer whenever I try to run the game:

1st: .NET Runtime
Application: Terraria.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.BadImageFormatException
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(System.String[], Boolean)
at Terraria.WindowsLaunch.Main(System.String[])

2nd: Application Error
Faulting application name: Terraria.exe, version: 1.3.5.3, time stamp: 0x58ffb460
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17134.137, time stamp: 0x16722c9d
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0010db92
Faulting process id: 0x2bb4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d41554dc26d122
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria\Terraria.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: e5a4d499-1f94-48ea-9f55-97cba00ff6b3
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Afterwards there's a Windows Error Reporting:

Fault bucket 129429818745, type 5
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Terraria.exe
P2: 1.3.5.3
P3: 58ffb460
P4: Terraria
P5: 1.3.5.3
P6: 58ffb460
P7: 75
P8: 29
P9: System.BadImageFormatException
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER30C3.tmp.dmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER3131.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER3142.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER3140.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER3170.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Terraria.exe_13a974a4b893fe706983c9cbaeed3a7366ecf5d_3cd7392b_166f3576

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: e5a4d499-1f94-48ea-9f55-97cba00ff6b3
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 4f6d6e40ed03ea3c0d4424f1e794ea87
Cab Guid: 0

Nice, I was just about to ask you to view the event viewer.

I need to know your Windows build version. Press Windows+R then type winver

Screenshot the window that comes up and post it here.

Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.137)

Attachments

• winversion.png
    winversion.png
    15 KB · Views: 274
Ok, so far, windows is up to date, now the next thing which I've stopped at is that KernalBase.dll does not exist in either Systeam 32 nor in SysWOW 64. Should I just copy it in and if so is there a specific location or just straight into System 32?
Edit: unable to change the permissions even after changing file ownership to admin instead of TrustedInstaller
Edit2: nvm... it was listed as kernAl in the instructions, didnt even realise it was named propperly in the .rar, will try replacing it now.

Last edited:
Replacing the KernelBase.dll, did the sfc /scannow, tried making the new user profile on the PC, none of them worked. the ones I cant try are the blank slate install of windows and a downgrade to an earlier build.
Edit: Yes I restarted after the 1st and the 2nd.

That's rather unfortunate to hear. When you say you've attempted to repair .Net you mean you did the following:

1eyEJ0i.png

If not try it out, but I suspect it won't fix your issue since this is related to KernalBase.dll causing issues. Doesn't hurt to try though.

When all else fails, the one method that can be used to fix the problem would be to reinstall Windows. I understand not everyone is under the right conditions to have this as an option. At this point in time you've exhausted all options on how I've seen this problem get fixed, if I find another solution that doesn't require you to revert to a previous build of windows or perform a clean install I'll let you know, but I fear these may be the only options.

Edit: @Marbolid I looked around and found one more option.

Go into Terraria's Steam folder, right click Terraria's application and select properties. Then click on the compatibility tab and launch in compatibility mode for windows 7 and run as administrator.

If that doesn't work you're looking at having to reinstall windows.

Last edited:
Just did that as well, no dice.
Oh well thx for trying, if you don't mind replying here if you do find something that'd be great!

Yeah for sure, if I find anything else I'll let you know. Hopefully another user will also come along to assist.

Just to add to the pile, I've done a system restore back to Build 1803 v17134.48 of windows(farthest back I could take it) and it still didn't do anything.
The only possible options would be a patch downgrade straight from Microsoft or a clean install.

Back
Top Bottom