Terraria on Mac OS : State of the Game

Kitsutai

Terrarian
Hello everyone,

I know the mac os version of the game is very flawed due to the departure of the employee who was working on Mac.
But we can't play on Mac OS anymore, as soon as your building start to grow up, the game freeze, become slow, it's just unplayable.

I know there are many complaints about that since years, but you have to do something about it, I want to play the game, not buying a PC

I know for a fact that at least one of the internal testers plays on a mac, and generally it runs fine for them. Can you be more specific about your issue, as it doesn't apply to everyone?

I know for a fact that at least one of the internal testers plays on a mac, and generally it runs fine for them. Can you be more specific about your issue, as it doesn't apply to everyone?
Well, every users can test this issue. Just run a world, with a lot of buildings like a small town, and your game just become slow for no reason when you're walking around..

Well, every users can test this issue. Just run a world, with a lot of buildings like a small town, and your game just become slow for no reason when you're walking around..
Can you post the specs of your mac? That just sounds like a performance issue.

Can you post the specs of your mac? That just sounds like a performance issue.
Nop it's not, even M1 mac users have issues.. And Terraria themselves said it was because the employee left the crew.. But we paid the game too ahah. I'm running 8Go ram and i7. Basically I have 200% the recommended settings.

There is a bug with some particle effects that will bring a Mac into low fps. Particularly any armor or Mount with an extra visual effect. A great example would be using the jet boots for flight. 60 fps suddenly becomes 10. I am running it on a MacBook Pro with an M1 Pro chip 16 core gpu 10 core cpu. Eventually as you progress this visual effects become more common causing more consistent lag.

I have to be honest moved over to an iPad pro to play the game as the Mac version is just near unplayable. The mobile version is very well optimized.

Are there any updates on this? I really want to play this game normally, but it lags a lot on M1 and turns into slow-mo.
Here's the answer of a RE-Logic member :

"We are looking into some immediate issues with the player drawing and mannequins currently
But we are aware there are some Mac issues, but its not as simple as you describe
Its not "all Mac OS users", only some
Which makes it harder to diagnose and resolve
In fact, I believe I've heard the M1 Mac specifically has issues way worse than earlier versions
Either way, we're looking into it as best we can but I cannot make any promises in terms of how well it will be able to be resolved"

"I mentioned we are looking into some player draw issues
As confusing as it may sound, I'm being told that PROBABLY the majority of the issues you mentioned are in some way derived from that (I'm hoping that's the case)
We are looking into the player draw issues, though it is a very technically complex issue that requires a lot of rewrites, and may result in some visual bugs that take a while to catch (Macs comprised a very small % of our player base, and naturally, a very small % of our tester team as well)
I'm hoping that this fix will alleviate the most of the performance drop points for you and other Mac users, though we'll definitely be on the lookout for other sticking points if this doesn't cover them all"

I bought the new Mac Mini M2 recently and I don't have any issues anymore, I mean it's still a bit laggy when there's a lot of particles, but much less than my old MB. I can play the game again.

Back
Top Bottom