Pixel Art Terraria Spriting Carnival 2

Been making HD-ish sprites
HD's.png

I tried doing some shading practice by limiting myself to a palette of 4 shades and testing out different light sources
First row is top right light source, second row is top light source, and the final row is suppose to be the "inbetween" light source that is between the top right and top
OrbShading.png

I tried doing some shading practice by limiting myself to a palette of 4 shades and testing out different light sources
First row is top right light source, second row is top light source, and the final row is suppose to be the "inbetween" light source that is between the top right and top
View attachment 162332
The sprites lack contrast, and working in such a big canvas with 4 colors is actually too much.

It's not bad, actually it feels really unique, only thing is the pallete and the shading, but the design is good.
the palette was chosen by a friend. was making it for him

thats why the bottom helm is similar in design to the silver and tungsten helm. if you got tips on shading im all for it

i've shaded this way for 3 or so years now.

the palette was chosen by a friend. was making it for him

thats why the bottom helm is similar in design to the silver and tungsten helm. if you got tips on shading im all for it

i've shaded this way for 3 or so years now.
May I edit the sprite to show you? I am not really that good at explaining and visually is actually way better to improve.

@Mythicalthings
Armor edit 4x4.png
Armor edit 2x2.png

Okay, so, as you can see, the pallete I made used 11, while yours only 7, this is not a bad thing, but I recommend you to work with an amount of colors you're comfortable with. Talking about pallete creation, the green part went from a desaturated(less intense color) near yellow but touching green, then I went moving each color the saturation higher, luminosity lower(how light is a color), and hue to the purple color. I did the same with the "black" part of the armor, were I started with a desaturated cyan, then moving the hue to purple, along with lowering the luminosity.

Talking about the flaws of the shading and pixelling of the armors, as you did in the old armor, the bracers used a jaggy to make it look a bit spiky, though it made the shape feel weird, the second bracer wasn't following the perspective and it felt weird as well, I changed the position and shape of the freen parts in the chestplate accordingly to the perspective you created with the shoulder showing off the other part, your sprite shading was okay, but you couldn't describe where exactly was the light source coming from, this also happening because the lack of contrast your pallete had. I used top left as my main light source to base my shading of it, and using really light colors for making the armor shiny, but still keeping the pallete dark. On 2 variants on the helm you used some spikes watching down, but they weren't really important since they weren't seen anytime when put over the armor.

So to see what you need to improve on I'll make a small list:
-Don't use jaggies ever unless you can make the shape look like you wanted and it looks easy to read
-Work with a color pallete you're comfortable with
-If you're going to use a perspective, make sure everything is accordingly seen to that perspective.
-Practice the really repeated technique hue-shifting.
-Remember to add a bit of reflection and really high highlights to metal looking objects.
-Remove unnecessary details.
-Use contrast.
-Base your shading off of a specific light source.

(apologies for the really long text, and double post)

Edit: also remember to use Sel-out(shading the outline according to the light source, basically).

No no that was all really helpful

i've barely improved in terms of spriting for a long time and i can really use this. problem with me though is perspective has never been...easy for me. but this should really help me thank you a lot i really appreciate it
[doublepost=1489365568,1489365512][/doublepost]also as for lighting and stuff like that i'll keep that in mind but i don't really promise anything

this is actually my first attempt at armor.

Back
Top Bottom