Terraria Steam Multiplayer lag

Miawer05

Terrarian
So, I know this is a recurring problem in Terraria 1.3, and maybe there is a fix for this, but so far I've found things that can only help. My system components are:
-CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 @3.50 Gzh
-GPU: Gigabyte Aorus RX570 @7000 4GB GDDR5 VRAM
-RAM: 8 GB (single channel) @2400
-MOBO: MSI H110h-Pro-vd (Socket LGA1151)
-PSW: 500 Watt ThermalTake
And my game is installed on a 1TB hard drive.
My .NET version is 4.8.03752 and the release is 0x00080ea8 (528040)
The DXDiag Logs are in this attatched image DXDiag
If the Windows version and others are needed, they will be here --> WUN

The actual problem itself is that everytime I do a "Host & Play" or my friend does, we see each other lagging to an extent that it seems like he's been afk for 5 minutes and then teleports across the map. He has a very bad internet connection, so that is part of the problem, but if I do the same thing with someone else it just repeats itself. Is this in any way fixable? I've already tried the "Windows XP" in the properties "fix", and the one in the task manager in which I assign certain parts of my processing cores to the Terraria EXE and the Terraria server. When i play on single player, it does just fine, considering I go way over the minimum requrements, so it's not PC lag, and I don't really have a way of knowing if it's just the terraria servers lagging here and there, so if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great.
Every answear will be greatly appreacieted!

- Miawer

What is your internet speed and how far away from your friend do you live? Are you on Wifi or Ethernet? Are you using any mods or is this vanilla?

What is your internet speed and how far away from your friend do you live? Are you on Wifi or Ethernet? Are you using any mods or is this vanilla?
My average Internet speed is ~15 MBps (download) and ~15 MPps (upload).
Me and my friend live both in central europe, i'm on wifi and i am not using mods.
Oh and I'm about 10 metres from my wifi repeater.

If you use an ethernet cable does it result in a more stable connection? (note this is only for testing, I'm not suggesting this as a solution)

The second person you tested with what is the speed of their internet and location relative to you?

With that poor speed and your relative location to each other I would expect a fair bit of internet lag unfortunately. So it seems your two friends poor internet may be the cause of the lag it's certainly not your machine and while it could be high wireless traffic on your end since we are unable to rule that out my suspicion is that it isn't and the only culprits are the connections of your friends. A rather unfortunate situation to be in.

With that poor speed and your relative location to each other I would expect a fair bit of internet lag unfortunately. So it seems your two friends poor internet may be the cause of the lag it's certainly not your machine and while it could be high wireless traffic on your end since we are unable to rule that out my suspicion is that it isn't and the only culprits are the connections of your friends. A rather unfortunate situation to be in.
Yeah. So thank you anyways for taking your time and helping me with issue, although it is sad that we must keep playing with lag. I will pray to the Internet gods to give him better internet.

Yeah. So thank you anyways for taking your time and helping me with issue, although it is sad that we must keep playing with lag. I will pray to the Internet gods to give him better internet.

Something else we might be able to do to improve net performance is change the way you guys are connecting to each other. If you care to learn how to port forward you could do directIP instead of using steamworks. You'll need to be able to login to your router though.

Something else we might be able to do to improve net performance is change the way you guys are connecting to each other. If you care to learn how to port forward you could do directIP instead of using steamworks. You'll need to be able to login to your router though.
I might be able to do it, but he isn't very technological, se he'll have a hard time and end up giving up. I thought of uding hamachi, so I'll see how that ends up working.

Back
Top Bottom