Thank you for leaving magic to be the worst class in the game.

In Early Hardmode mage weapons are actually pretty decent but the armours aren't insanely good yet not bad (though melee and ranged use those armours too), in late Hardmode (post-Plantera) the weapons are awesome and Spectre Armour is alright (but the hood is useless against ML), however in Pre-Hardmode there aren't many (or very good) options until the dungeon apart from the Meteor gear. Pre-EoC there's just the Gem Staves which aren't very powerful or interesting, the Thunder Zapper which is basically just a Gem Staff with squiggly projectiles and is sorta hard to get, the Wand of Sparking (which nobody would obviously use) and the Demon Scythe which is hard to get and awkward to use. At that stage for Melee there's all the swords, the flails, yoyos, the spears, etc., for Ranger there's a bunch of the bows and guns (not much variety but lots of options nonetheless), and for Summoner... well, there are very little options, but the Flinx Staff and the Vampire Frog Staff are good. So I think with the exception of pre-boss mage is fine as a class.

In Early Hardmode mage weapons are actually pretty decent but the armours aren't insanely good yet not bad (though melee and ranged use those armours too), in late Hardmode (post-Plantera) the weapons are awesome and Spectre Armour is alright (but the hood is useless against ML), however in Pre-Hardmode there aren't many (or very good) options until the dungeon apart from the Meteor gear. Pre-EoC there's just the Gem Staves which aren't very powerful or interesting, the Thunder Zapper which is basically just a Gem Staff with squiggly projectiles and is sorta hard to get, the Wand of Sparking (which nobody would obviously use) and the Demon Scythe which is hard to get and awkward to use. At that stage for Melee there's all the swords, the flails, yoyos, the spears, etc., for Ranger there's a bunch of the bows and guns (not much variety but lots of options nonetheless), and for Summoner... well, there are very little options, but the Flinx Staff and the Vampire Frog Staff are good. So I think with the exception of pre-boss mage is fine as a class.

Wand of Sparking is actually a decent starter after its buff. Its more powerful than the first two Gem Staves, and its 2 mana cost means it can be used until you get more mana.

Thunder Zapper and Gem Staves are also actually more powerful than you’ve given them credit for. With Gem Robes, the Ruby and Diamond Staves actually do quite well for the Eye and the Brain. They hit pretty hard for their tier and have built in piercing. Thunder Zapper doesn’t hit all that hard, but pulls its weight through fire rate and actually does a good job as well. As for the Eater, the Vilethorn completely melts him.

After this point, you have access to meteor gear, at which point you’re set. Meteor gear and space gun works well enough for the Wall itself - but its more so for Skeletron to allow yourself to get the Water Bolt. Water Bolt + Jungle Armor has you set for the Wall, no problem.

Point I’m trying to make is, Mage has fine progression in prehardmode. Probably not as strong as Ranged, but that’s because it’s Ranged - it progresses as solidly as the other two classes. Melee has trouble getting actually decent weapons for a while and Summoner takes a million steps to actually get going, so I’d even say Mage is actually pretty well off in prehardmkde.

Wand of Sparking is actually a decent starter after its buff. Its more powerful than the first two Gem Staves, and its 2 mana cost means it can be used until you get more mana.

Thunder Zapper and Gem Staves are also actually more powerful than you’ve given them credit for. With Gem Robes, the Ruby and Diamond Staves actually do quite well for the Eye and the Brain. They hit pretty hard for their tier and have built in piercing. Thunder Zapper doesn’t hit all that hard, but pulls its weight through fire rate and actually does a good job as well. As for the Eater, the Vilethorn completely melts him.

After this point, you have access to meteor gear, at which point you’re set. Meteor gear and space gun works well enough for the Wall itself - but its more so for Skeletron to allow yourself to get the Water Bolt. Water Bolt + Jungle Armor has you set for the Wall, no problem.

Point I’m trying to make is, Mage has fine progression in prehardmode. Probably not as strong as Ranged, but that’s because it’s Ranged - it progresses as solidly as the other two classes. Melee has trouble getting actually decent weapons for a while and Summoner takes a million steps to actually get going, so I’d even say Mage is actually pretty well off in prehardmkde.
I actually completely forgot about the vilethorn. Part of what I said (though maybe you didn’t get the message) was that after Skeletron and after mining a Meteorite mages are pretty powerful. Also the mace is pretty good and can be upgraded to the flaming mace and is easy to find.

Using the Spectre Hood and Mask is OP in late Hardmode before the Moon Lord, and using the Hallowed Headgear + Dark Artist armor is OP for the Moon Lord.

Back
Top Bottom