NPCs & Enemies The Antlion Queen, Ruler of the Sands! (Needs Sprites)

Do you want this boss to be added into the game?

• Yes, I like it.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • I'm indifferent.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's good, but it could be better (explain why and don't forget to update your vote once satisfied).

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Trollking6

Skeletron Prime
By now, you should have noticed the massive desert caves in the new Terraria 1.3 update. These caves are infested with many antlion creatures. This begs the question:​
Doesn't this cave and its inhabitants deserve a queen to keep them in order?

Now, I know what some of you may be thinking: Real life antlions don't have queens. Why should these? Well, I'm fairly certain antlions don't create massive ant-colony-like​
cave systems either. But enough logic-questioning, it's time to get to the features!

First off, each new world will create antlion queen chambers. There will be 1-2 for small worlds, 2-3 for medium worlds, and 3-4 for large worlds. Each will contain an antlion​
pupa. Destroying this pupa will summon the Antlion Queen. (Note: Another idea I had was to have an animation of the queen awakening where the pupa was, then flying upwards off-screen before attacking.) If you want to fight her in an existing world, or maybe you're worried you'll run out of hives before you get the drop you want, there will also be a craft-able summoner.

Antrocity
  • Type: Summoning
  • Use Time: 44 (Very Slow)
  • Tooltip: Summons the Antlion Queen
  • Rarity:
Only works in the Desert.
Sprite: As I do not have a sprite here, sprites would be appreciated. I would like it to look like the ingredients were slapped together, with the cactus being the eyes, similar to the abeemination.

Recipe:

Now that we got that out of the way, let's get to the boss fight.

Phase I

This is the start of the fight. The Antlion Queen is has a massive abdomen which is covered in Antlion Eggs (20?). Each Egg has 100 HP and 0 DEF, and upon death, will fall to the ground and summon an antlion, charger, or swarmer. The Queen will attack by stomping on the ground, and then ramming you like the Queen Bee. When the Antlion Queen stomps, it damages all nearby players, dealing 30 DMG, and lays an extra egg, which will hatch into a random antlion after a few seconds, if not destroyed. Then, it will swoop towards you constantly while spitting sticky sand at you that slows you for 3 seconds. Each sticky sand projectile deals 20 DMG and is sprayed at the same rate as the Bee's stingers. The Antlion Queen will also hover and barrage you with sand waves that deal 15 DMG. can go through blocks, and are fired 3 times per second. Once all of the eggs have been destroyed, the Antlion Queen will enter Phase II.

Phase II

Once her eggs have been killed, the Antlion Queen's abdomen will be vulnerable, and she will be enraged. Her abdomen has 2000 HP and 20 DEF. Instead of ramming you, the Queen will now fly above you and stomp on you three times in one second, and then will fly back and fly to you to stomp on you some more. Each stomp will lay one egg. She will also do her normal attacks, but will swoop while shooting sand waves as well as spitting.

Phase III

Once her HP drops below 1000, things start get serious (even more so than it already was). Instead of waiting for a second or two when she flies off-screen after stomping, she will triple stomp three times without waiting off-screen in succession (she will still flying off-screen, just instantly comes back). After which she will swoop and shoot both sand waves and sand spit for 10 seconds before triple-triple-stomping again.

Drops:

Swarmer Gun
  • Type: Weapon
  • Damage: 16 (Magic)
  • Knockback: 0.5 (Extremely Weak)
  • Mana: 8
  • Critical chance: 4%
  • Use time: 16 (Very Fast)
  • Velocity: 20
  • Tooltip: Shoots energetic swarmers that bounce around
  • Rarity:
  • Sell: 40
    Silver_Coin.png
Drop rate 33%, replacing the melee and ranged weapons. Resembles a tail-less, leg-less swarmer, with small wings to fit the small body, and a handle resembling its leg. The projectile is a small swarmer that acts like a fast water bolt, bouncing up to 10 times and piercing infinitely.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antbane
Drop rate 33%, replacing the magic and ranged weapons. It has a orange and white handle, with a antlion head in the middle with two mandibles pointing in the direction of the blade, making it seem like a tongue. The blade itself looks like a sword made of sturdy fossils.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antlauncher
Drop rate 33%, replacing the melee and magic weapons. Resembles a sideways antlion with a handle and trigger. Behaves like a Proximity Mine Launcher, shooting a small, semi-transparent antlion that explodes into sand when triggered. Slows enemies in range upon impact. The projectile is unaffected by gravity.

Winged Gloves
Drop rate 33%. Does as the tooltip states, making throwing weapons act like jester's arrows, just without the light and piercing.

Sandy Egg
  • Type: Pet Summon
  • Use time: 19 (Very Fast)
  • Tooltip: Summons a baby swarmer
  • I think the summon tooltip is best left to the developers.
  • Rarity:
    Rarity_color_3_big.png

• Sell: 1
    Gold_Coin.png
    Silver_Coin.png
Drop rate 6.7%. Summons a baby Antlion Swarmer. Purely cosmetic.

Amber Saddle
  • Type: Mount Summon
  • Use time: 19 (Very Fast)
  • Tooltip: Summons a rideable Antlion mount
  • Once again, I think the summon tooltip is best left to the developers.
  • Rarity:
  • Sell: 5
    Gold_Coin.png
Drop rate 9.75%. The antlion mount looks like a charger, but is unique in that it cannot walk off edges more than one block steep. It also has the ability to dash, in which it walks off steep edges and climbs up surfaces while dashing. Normally, it jumps like a tortoise.

Weight Rack
  • Type: Furniture
  • Placeable:
    Tango_Tick1.png
  • Dimensions: 3 wide ˣ 2 high
  • Use time: 14 (Very Fast)
  • Tooltip: Increases throwing speed and strength
  • Buff Duration: 10 min
  • Buff Tooltip: Increased throwing speed and strength
  • Rarity:
  • Sell: 1
    Gold_Coin.png
Drop rate 33%. Increases throwing speed by 20%, velocity by 15%, and damage by 20% for 10 minutes when right-clicked.

Sandmine

• Damage: 75 (Throwing)

Drop rate 75%, 15-30, doubled in expert mode. All affected enemies get stickied (slowed) from the explosion of sand.

Antlion Queen Trophy
Drop rate 10%. Purely cosmetic. It is the wing of the Queen.

Healing Potion

5-15 potions. You should know what this does. It's nothing new.

Treasure Bag

Drops the expert mode loot.

Antlion Queen Mask
Drop rate 14.29%. The head of the Antlion Queen in its full glory, mandibles and all.

Antlion Shell
20-30, doubled in expert mode. It's a crafting material. It crafts things. So yeah.

Expert Mode

In expert mode, the Queen's eggs have 20 DEF, and damage and debuffs are doubled. It also lays double the eggs. The sand spit goes through blocks at all times and turns​
into sand slimes if it misses. In Phase II, she will alternate between stomping normally and shooting both sand waves and spit. In Phase III, she will stomp, fly back, fly across the screen slowly while dropping a total of 4 egg-bombs that explode upon impact with a player of hatch a few seconds after landing on the ground if not destroyed. She will then stomp & bomb 2 more times before waiting off-screen. She will go faster the less health she has.

Expert Loot

The expert mode loot changes reflect the queen bee's loot changes, usually doubling. The treasure bag also contains the following item:​

Digging Gear
When equipped, you dig sand, it destroy sand up to 10 blocks above it. Only destroys 3 blocks above if the sand is too tall.

My original idea was to make it let you dig through sand like a worm, but that would to a bit too strange, not to mention how the controls would work.

Antlion Shells

Antlion shells are a crafting material used mainly to upgrade fossil equipment.
Crafting Uses:

Antlion Staff

Crafted at an anvil with 14 Antlion Shells. Summons a sentry antlion that shoots sticky sand and lasts for 1 minute.

Sand Rod
Crafted at an anvil with 20 Antlion Shells and a Dirt Rod. Moves sand around like a dirt rod, but suffocates enemies and players if you hold it on them at the same rate as sand. Works on tainted sand as well.

Ancient Staff
Crafted at an anvil with 15 Antlion Shells and an Amber Staff. Unlike its predecessor, the ancient staff's projectile goes through blocks from a random spot below the screen towards the mouse's location. For each fossil/antlion armor piece you are wearing (not in vanity), it cast cast an extra bolt each use. With a full set, 4 projectiles can be summoned in one use. These projectiles will not move through blocks after reaching their destination and will dissipate after a certain amount of time. Pierces up to 4 enemies before it has reached the mouse's location, afterwards it will not pierce.

Mandible Javelin
Crafted at an anvil with 1 Antlion Shell, 1 Mandible, and 30 Bone Javelins. Behaves like a normal Bone Javelin, until it hits an enemy, in which, after sticking to the enemy, it will fire 3 fragments, one in the direction the spear was going, the other 3 in 45 degree angles from the first one. These fragments pierce infinitely and are unaffected by gravity, but will dissipate over time. These fragments deal 1/4 the damage of the weapon, and are affected by modifiers.

Mandible Throwing Knives
Crafted at an anvil with 1 Antlion Shell, 1 Mandible, and 50 Bone Throwing Knives. These knives will pierce infinitely, but dissipate over time, as Jester's arrows do. Works well with Winged Gloves.

Antlion Armor
  • Helmet:
    • Crafted at an anvil with 10 Antlion Shells, 2 Mandibles, and a Fossil Helmet.
    • 5 defense
    • 30% Increased throwing velocity, 10% chance not to consume throwing weapon
  • Plate:
    • Crafted at an anvil with 15 Antlion Shells and a Fossil Plate.
    • 6 defense
    • 30% Increased throwing damage, 10% chance not to consume throwing weapon
  • Greaves:
    • Crafted at an anvil with 12 Antlion Shells and a Fossil Greaves.
    • 5 defense
    • 20% Increased throwing critical strike chance, 10% chance not to consume throwing weapon
Set Bonus: 50% chance not to consume throwing weapon, 5% increase to throwing velocity, damage, and critical strike chance.

Last edited:
Great Post, I did one like this much like this one. Totally check it out. I sure could use some sprites for that!

Uhhh I'm sorry but I don't think we really need a sand boss.

But that digging gear is so good.
I disagree. In my opinion, the desert needs to be expanded a bit more, as it is home to one of the only armors and weapons of the throwing class(the others are mostly neutral). In fact, once the throwing class gets expanded into hardmode and such, there should be a desert biome chest.

I disagree. In my opinion, the desert needs to be expanded a bit more, as it is home to one of the only armors and weapons of the throwing class(the others are mostly neutral). In fact, once the throwing class gets expanded into hardmode and such, there should be a desert biome chest.

It would be better if you did a sprite. Even if you are bad at spriting, you should try. Or you can retexture items that exist in Terraria.

You can sprite and retexture using paint.net, it's free. When you get that, then zoom in and start creating sprite or retexture by going to terraria gamepedia, save the image you want to retexture and insert the image to paint.net. Simple as that.

I would support if this had sprites because I don't even know what abdomen covered in 20 eggs looks like.
[DOUBLEPOST=1440859958,1440859848][/DOUBLEPOST]I can try spriting for this thread (yeah I'm bored so I can do it when I can)
[DOUBLEPOST=1440860062][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, are the eggs flying around like the Brain of Cthulhu's creepers?

It would be better if you did a sprite. Even if you are bad at spriting, you should try. Or you can retexture items that exist in Terraria.

You can sprite and retexture using paint.net, it's free. When you get that, then zoom in and start creating sprite or retexture by going to terraria gamepedia, save the image you want to retexture and insert the image to paint.net. Simple as that.

I would support if this had sprites because I don't even know what abdomen covered in 20 eggs looks like.
[DOUBLEPOST=1440859958,1440859848][/DOUBLEPOST]I can try spriting for this thread (yeah I'm bored so I can do it when I can)
[DOUBLEPOST=1440860062][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, are the eggs flying around like the Brain of Cthulhu's creepers?
Sprites are NEVER required for a suggestion. Also, please try to use the edit button next time when posting.

I have paint.net but my creations..... become.... this thing..... I call it the gerp (pronounced gurp).
B-T94VzCQAAZuzO.png

Also, the eggs are attached.

I really like this idea! The desert has become fun to explore with the new biome and a boss would be the perfect addition. I typically go summoner but I even think your throwing class ideas sound good :)

I really like this idea! The desert has become fun to explore with the new biome and a boss would be the perfect addition. I typically go summoner but I even think your throwing class ideas sound good :)
I tried to make something good for all classes while mainly focusing on throwing. Summoners get a sentry turret to add to their pre-hardmode arsenal, rangers get a weaker version of the prox mine launcher, magic get a super fast bouncing projectile, and melee gets a sand shooting sword.

Back
Top Bottom