The bestiary and Mods

Sora_92

Terrarian
This isn't really a suggestion, more like a question so, sorry if I posted it in the wrong place.

So, the bestiary contains entries of pretty much all creatures in the game, be it town NPCs, critters, monster, bosses, or anything. I absolutely love it! And the more you fill up the bestiary, the more things the zoologist sells you, including the universal pylon at 100% completed bestiary, right? It's wonderful!

Now... I wonder how this will work in modded? With mods often adding lots of creatures, it would be amazing and useful, if those would also have bestiary entries.
However... how that would affect bestiary progression - and likewise, the zoologist's shop?
Would it end up like you could only acquire things alternatively much later in the game with mods that offer tons of creatures - especially those that offer lots of post-moon lord monsters too? That sounds like kind of problematic...

Or would the bestiary differentiate between vanilla and modded creatures, and only vanilla entries affect the zoologist's shop?

I've moved it to the modded section as it seems to make more sense there. Really it's a question for the developers of tModloader, or the individual mod devs themselves.

This isn't really a suggestion, more like a question so, sorry if I posted it in the wrong place.

So, the bestiary contains entries of pretty much all creatures in the game, be it town NPCs, critters, monster, bosses, or anything. I absolutely love it! And the more you fill up the bestiary, the more things the zoologist sells you, including the universal pylon at 100% completed bestiary, right? It's wonderful!

Now... I wonder how this will work in modded? With mods often adding lots of creatures, it would be amazing and useful, if those would also have bestiary entries.
However... how that would affect bestiary progression - and likewise, the zoologist's shop?
Would it end up like you could only acquire things alternatively much later in the game with mods that offer tons of creatures - especially those that offer lots of post-moon lord monsters too? That sounds like kind of problematic...

Or would the bestiary differentiate between vanilla and modded creatures, and only vanilla entries affect the zoologist's shop?
IIRC, a Terraria dev (forget exactly which one) said that they made it pretty easy to add modded NPCs due to how the bestiary works. We'll obviously have to wait and see how it'll work when tModLoader actually updates to 1.4, though.
As for the Zoologist's shop, it works like other NPC shops. It has an if statement that checks the completion percentage of the bestiary, and if it's equal to (or greater than) a specific percentage, than the item will appear in the shop.

C#:
if (bestiaryProgressReport.CompletionPercent >= 0.15f)
{
    array[num++].SetDefaults(4672);
}
4672 is the Leather Whip.

@darthmorf Thank you!

@steviegt6 What I mean, let's say you would have Thorium mod enabled, it would add tons of creatures. this would mean you would need to gather a lot more entries to get the same completion in the bestiary, you would get much faster and easier on vanilla, which would mean, that it would be more difficult to get the zoologist to sell certain things. Though Thorium has its content spread though the whole game, so it would likely just mean more entries to gather.

But
With mods such as Calamity (I tried it, but didn't got too far in it, all those tough bosses are just... I don't think I could defeat those... XD so I don't know it a lot.) which I think adds tons of post moon lord stuff, which would mean that you would likely get the same bestiary completion landmarks much later in the game.

Most of them are just intriguing vanity and novelty stuff, but it would be odd if lots of those things would appear only much later in the progress, I think.

@darthmorf Thank you!

@steviegt6 What I mean, let's say you would have Thorium mod enabled, it would add tons of creatures. this would mean you would need to gather a lot more entries to get the same completion in the bestiary, you would get much faster and easier on vanilla, which would mean, that it would be more difficult to get the zoologist to sell certain things. Though Thorium has its content spread though the whole game, so it would likely just mean more entries to gather.

But
With mods such as Calamity (I tried it, but didn't got too far in it, all those tough bosses are just... I don't think I could defeat those... XD so I don't know it a lot.) which I think adds tons of post moon lord stuff, which would mean that you would likely get the same bestiary completion landmarks much later in the game.

Most of them are just intriguing vanity and novelty stuff, but it would be odd if lots of those things would appear only much later in the progress, I think.
AFAIK, NPCs aren't added automatically. With how the code currently works, I believe you would be required to collect more entries, yes. Same with Calamity.
If this is how it ends up working, I'm sure myself or someone else will make a mod that just makes her sell everything depending on the number of entries instead of percentage.

AFAIK, NPCs aren't added automatically. With how the code currently works, I believe you would be required to collect more entries, yes. Same with Calamity.
If this is how it ends up working, I'm sure myself or someone else will make a mod that just makes her sell everything depending on the number of entries instead of percentage.
maybe, but it just sounds tricky.
well, we'll surely see how it gets implemented, I'm just curious how they will solve it.

Back
Top Bottom