Weapons & Equip The Clockwork Blade

Firearrow15

Skeletron
This is just a random idea I had for a unique sword whose damage varies as you use it. Without further ado, I give you:

Clockwork blade
(10 * clock level) Melee damage
Use time: 20
Knockback: 5.5
Autoswing: Yes
Projectile: No
Tooltip: (Any suggestions?)
Crafting: 20 Cogs, 5 souls of Might, Fright, and Sight, 15 Hallowed bars

Now you may be wondering about that "10 * clock level" damage. The clock level is a variable that will increase by 1 every swing until 12, then reset to one. In simpler terms, the first swing will deal 10, the second 20, and so on until 120, after which it will reset. Prefixes and other modifiers will be applied after the "10 * Clock level", so +20% damage on clock level 5 will become +20% of 50, not +20% of 10, multiplied by 5.

You may think, "120 damage? That's ridiculous!". Yes, 120 damage would be ridiculous, if it was dealing that much every swing. But it only deals that one in every twelve swings. The average damage per swing works out to be 65, which with a use time of 20 give it a total DPS of 195. This is comparable of the cutlass, at 192, which is obtainable even before all the mechs have been defeated.

That's it. A gimmicky but hopefully fun sword obtainable after all three mechs but before the HM jungle. Feedback is always appreciated. I may add sprites later if I find the time. Thanks for reading!

And you'd get 60 for both calculations. :nursenaughty:
Ok bad example. Suppose your only damage boost was from a single menacing accessory. If it applied to the 10 damage first, there would be no boost, but if it applied to the 50, you would get 2 more. It matters for small bonuses.

I like this idea, especially the clock level part it was interesting to read.
divider.png

Mana_Crystal.png
Mana_Crystal.png
Mana_Crystal.png
Mana_Crystal.png
Mana_Crystal.png
It's not only decent but double decent.

It's just smacking stuff. It has a unique gimmick
That's never stopped weapons before. By your definition, all guns are variations on the musket, with unique gimmicks. And yet we still have over 20 guns.

I feel like this sword is a little more unique than other "non-projectile swords," because it swings in a full circle, but I am probably a little biased as the TC.

Edit: My bad, the full circle thing was from another of my suggestions. This one just has the variable damage.

Last edited:
This seems incredibly useless, why have such a gimmick when you could just get a frostbrand and do 60 damage in 2 fast sweeps?

This seems incredibly useless, why have such a gimmick when you could just get a frostbrand and do 60 damage in 2 fast sweeps?
Well, why not? Why do we need any swords that aren't direct upgrades of the wooden broadsword? Because uniqueness is fun.

Anyway, the damage would still cycle even if you don't hit anything. So you could cycle it up between fights and have your "two fast sweeps" deal 110 and 120 damage instead of 60 each. Then you cycle it again because that enemy is probably dead. :p

Well, why not? Why do we need any swords that aren't direct upgrades of the wooden broadsword? Because uniqueness is fun.

Anyway, the damage would still cycle even if you don't hit anything. So you could cycle it up between fights and have your "two fast sweeps" deal 110 and 120 damage instead of 60 each. Then you cycle it again because that enemy is probably dead. :p
I don't understand what you just said at ALL.

I don't understand what you just said at ALL.
So the damage cycles from 10 to 120 in 12 swings, regardless of if you hit anything or not. So, you swing it at nothing until it is at 110. Then use it on an enemy twice, dealing 110 and 120 damage- a whole lot more damage than two 60-damage swings from the frostbrand. I hope that was clear.

So the damage cycles from 10 to 120 in 12 swings, regardless of if you hit anything or not. So, you swing it at nothing until it is at 110. Then use it on an enemy twice, dealing 110 and 120 damage- a whole lot more damage than two 60-damage swings from the frostbrand. I hope that was clear.
Well I will solve this problem. Damage increase resets once you stop swinging.

Problem solved

Well I will solve this problem. Damage increase resets once you stop swinging.

Problem solved
Well, if the damage increase does not reset, we have the problem Layman brought up where this is a whole lot less useful than other swords of the same type. It currently has a similar DPS to the frostbrand and cutlass when you swing constantly, but you can cycle it between battles for very strong burst damage. It is strong with a few drawbacks, like having several of your swings deal very little damage.

Back
Top Bottom