Biomes & Nature The Obsidian Castle - Restoring the Underworld's Significance

Aldenkynan

Skeletron Prime
Ok, I'm going to assume you know about the Underworld. If you don't, it's a lava-filled biome with demons. This biome is essential to progressing in the game. Seriously, you need it. It contains some of the content needed for Hardmode.

When I'm talking about "content needed for Hardmode," fifty percent of what I'm talking about is the Wall of Flesh, and the other fifty percent is Hellstone. Of course, there are other things that can help you, but these two things prepare you the most.

The Wall of Flesh, well, it unlocks Hardmode and gives you drops to help you out for it. It drops the Pwnhammer, a holy hammer that allows you to break Demon/Crimson Altars. It can also drop one of seven things: the Breaker Blade, a giant sword; the Clockwork Assault Rifle, a quick-firing gun that fires in three-round bursts; the Laser Rifle, a magic weapon that acts like a gun; or one of four emblems that are less likely to drop and help the class they are designed for.

Hellstone is also helpful. It allows you to obtain a pickaxe used to mine the first Hardmode ores without having to waste your fishing bait (Reaver Shark, anyone?). It also allows you to craft an ingredient of the Night's Edge; this weapon is used to craft the Terra Blade, an invaluable pre-Plantera weapon.

Now, when do you go to the Underworld in Hardmode. You barely do. If you're hung up on getting a Tax Collector, sure, you may go down there; just realize that if you have twenty NPCs housed, it takes almost two hours for the Tax Collector to collect its max of 10 coins. If you want to go try for a Fire Feather (1:75 drop chance) or an Unholy Trident (1:30 drop chance) from those super annoying Red Devils, that's another reason.

Let's face it; the Underworld is pretty useless in Hardmode.

The Underworld needs to hold its significance in Hardmode. I mean, like really. Once you unlock Hardmode, there isn't much this layer has to give.

Behold, I have a solution:

the Obsidian Castle!

~ A huge structure!
~ New enemies!
~ New weapons!
~ A whole set of armor to craft!
~ More!

Location & Size

The Obsidian Castle would poke a bit into the very bottom of the cavern layer (when you're about to reach the Underworld). Then it would most likely extend to the bottom of the world. It spans a wide area of the world (not sure how long, but very long). It depends on the size of your world.

Composition, Navigation, & Shape

The Obsidian Castle is made up of either Red
191084-c44aff11e693c73d4d6a8379d9275ff9.jpg
, Yellow
191085-48e283473c734c4f000c58d75a5606c9.jpg
, or Blue
191086-9fa8adf60597172bbb06dacabd9a00a7.jpg
Obsidian Brick; this is decided on world generation. I know, it isn't the most creative, but if it's not going to be permanent, it can act as a placeholder for something better. All of these have to be mined with 200% pickaxe power or higher.

The structure has a gateway with a door in it (similar to the Lihzahrd Temple). The door must be unlocked with a Cavern Castle Key, dropped by Cavern Castle Guards (more on that later). The only other way to get inside is to mine your way in.

After you get in, you will meet a bunch of "rooms" side to side. They may not be the same size. The Obsidian Castle also has different "stories" that can be accessed through rooms with stairways. Here's an example of what a room looks like:
191087-e55e882e96753d4a856ece1cc81ea532.jpg

This seems a bit complicated, but I'll explain. The black lines are what are always there: a ceiling, walls, and a floor. The green lines at the top and bottom represent where there can either be a platform (if there is a stairway or small loot area) or the brick this structure is composed of; the green lines at the sides represent where there can be doors (if it's a hallway; not all hallways have doors). The yellow lines at the top represent a little area that will be in a few rooms (most likely on the top story) which can contain pots, coin stashes, and/or a chest. The red lines at the top and bottom are where there can be stairways. The light blue lines on the side represent where there can be a door and hallway.

Chests

Loot can be found in chests. Chests can be found in rooms of the Obsidian Castle (usually the loot area that's at the top of a few rooms). I don't know if the chests will have t.o be unlocked, what they look like, or what to call them. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

Here are some of the things that can be found in chests:

191088-fe80efe179b1527225d6f1e16011bf9a.jpg

Charcoal Cutter
32 Damage
4% Critical Strike Chance
Very Fast Speed
Strong Knockback

The Charcoal Cutter is a boomerang found in chests of the Obsidian Castle. It has the highest velocity of any boomerang in the game (velocity of 19), but has the lowest damage of any Hardmode boomerang in the game. This boomerang stacks up to four and autofires. When thrown, the Charcoal Cutter will inaccurately aim at the cursor. I'll show you what I mean by inaccurately:
191089-512a00dd6df16c1090efbb793a8fc1c7.jpg

The red dot is the player, the black dot is the cursor, and the arrows are the paths of four stacked Charcoal Cutters thrown. See how not many of them hit the cursor? It's sort of like the Solar Eruption.

191090-2a98865e88cb11b306668e8c1838d7cb.jpg

Rock Bottom
52 Damage
4% Critical Strike Chance
Very Slow Speed
Very Strong Knockback

This is just a normal thrown flail. There isn't much to be said. It's a good starting flail for hardmode and can be fairly easy to obtain.

Those were some of the unique items. Note that only one of them will spawn in a chest. I'm going to add more so give me some ideas if you have any.

Chests will also can also contain the common gold chest items (Cavern layer).

Enemies

I have a few enemies in mind for this structure. There aren't many at the moment, and more are to come. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

Obsidian Elemental
150(normal)/300(expert) Max Life
Hovering AI
65(normal)/130(expert) Damage (melee)
80(normal)/160(expert) Damage (ranged)
35 Defense
40%(normal)/46%(expert) KB Resist

This enemy hovers toward the player while hurling chunks of obsidian at the player. These projectiles travel moderately fast, but are greatly affected by gravity.
Drops:
~ 4-8 Obsidian (100%)
~ 18
Silver

191091-33088ae98b0a21c0498edad70a9f9cb9.jpg

Obsidian Plated Horse
315(normal)/730(expert) Max Life
Obsidian Plated Horse AI
80(normal)/160(expert) Damage
40 Defense
78%(normal)/81%(expert) KB Resist

The Obsidian Plated Horse is less common than the Obsidian Elemental. It tries to line up vertically with the player. Then, it will dash towards the player (similarly to the way a player dashes with the Shield of Cthulhu), gaining high speeds. These are the only source (so far) of Obsidian Plating, used to craft Obsidian Plating Armor.
Drops:
~ 1-3 Obsidian Plating (100%)
~ 20
Silver

Cavern Castle Guards
90(normal)/180(expert) Max Life
Fighter AI
35(normal)/70(expert) Damage
18 Defense
60%(normal)/64%(expert) KB Resist

Cavern Castle Guards are basically buffed skeletons. However, they lob chunks of rock at the player similarly to the Obsidian Elemental. These are common enemies that spawn around the Obsidian Castle once the Wall of Flesh and at least one of the Mechanical Bosses has been defeated (meaning you can't defeat a Mechanical Boss in a Pre-Hardmode world for these to spawn). They have a 1 in 6 chance to drop a Cavern Castle Key. Again, these are common, so it won't be hard to obtain this item.
Drops:
~ 1 Cavern Castle Key (16.67%)
~ 3
Silver

I'm thinking of more enemies and possibly a miniboss. Again, I'd like suggestions.

Items & Armor

Ok, let's go over the items and armor:

191092-e700597801d7b2d4ebf50fe887efad22.jpg

Obsidian Plating
Material

This is used to craft the Obsidian Plating Armor. We'll get to that later.

Cavern Castle Key
Opens the Obsidian Castle Gate.

This does exactly what it says.

Ok, these are all of the items we have that aren't found in chests. More are to be added, so don't worry.

The Obsidian Plating Armor is a Hardmode armor set that is crafted with 54 Obsidian Plating at a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil. The headpieces each require 12 Obsidian Plating, the chestplate 24, and the leggings 18.

191093-ef4878149ad29fa8cfd230c4d0cee68c.jpg

Obsidian Plating Headgear
~ 4 Defense
~ +80 Mana
~ +20% Magic Damage

191094-3211023c5add606e7c44e1d9bfd405f3.jpg

Obsidian Plating Helmet
~ 7 Defense
~ +4% Ranged Critical Strike Chance
~ +18% Ranged Damage

191102-3dbb7a6255c802a3c713b424ff536b0e.jpg

Obsidian Plating Mask
~ 20 Defense

~ +3% Melee Critical Strike Chance
~+13% Melee Damage

191103-38600a8e98602749c0d5f3f598a1d7f2.jpg

Obsidian Plating Chestplate
~ 13 Defense
~ +8% Damage

191104-6bf98ec76410d03883a71a86a58a2678.jpg

Obsidian Plating Leggings
~ 11 Defense
~ +2% Critical Strike Chance

The set bonus is pretty good. Whenever you are hit, you get a buff. This buff lasts boosts your defense by fifteen. This lasts for 10 seconds or until you right-click the buff icon to end this. This buff also will not activate until it has been 20 seconds since the buff was last granted to the player. I don't know what to call this buff. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

This is what the armor looks like equipped and their defense:
191105-e9a5d9ce0527cbebc420bd6c917240fc.jpg
191106-cb146e464b2cd2f29b1f3127f10598ab.jpg
191107-ed1a1cc45e92f115e3102f2f278c7105.jpg

That's all I have for now. Give me your suggestions and feedback! They help. Trust me. Thanks for reading!

~ Cavern Castle Key
~ Cavern Castle Guard
~ Obsidian Elemental
~ Obsidian Plating Armor (female) (equipped)

~ Jan. 4, 2017: The WoF and at least one Mechanical Boss must be defeated for Cavern Castle Guards to spawn; sprite and grammar fixes.

Attachments

• Red_Obsidian_Brick.png
    Red_Obsidian_Brick.png
    256 bytes · Views: 178
  • Yellow_Obsidian_Brick.png
    Yellow_Obsidian_Brick.png
    257 bytes · Views: 164
  • Blue_Obsidian_Brick.png
    Blue_Obsidian_Brick.png
    256 bytes · Views: 156
  • Obsidian_Castle_Concept.png
    Obsidian_Castle_Concept.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Charcoal_Cutter.png
    Charcoal_Cutter.png
    379 bytes · Views: 144
  • Charcoal_Cutter_Path.png
    Charcoal_Cutter_Path.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 127
  • Rock_Bottom.png
    Rock_Bottom.png
    494 bytes · Views: 113
  • Obsidian_Plated_Horse.png
    Obsidian_Plated_Horse.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Obisidian_Plating.png
    Obisidian_Plating.png
    353 bytes · Views: 132
  • Obsidian_Plating_Headgear.png
    Obsidian_Plating_Headgear.png
    340 bytes · Views: 136
  • Obsidian_Plating_Helmet.png
    Obsidian_Plating_Helmet.png
    367 bytes · Views: 148
  • Obsidian_Plating_Mask.png
    Obsidian_Plating_Mask.png
    373 bytes · Views: 143
  • Obsidian_Plating_Chainmail.png
    Obsidian_Plating_Chainmail.png
    462 bytes · Views: 175
  • Obsidian_Plating_Greaves.png
    Obsidian_Plating_Greaves.png
    282 bytes · Views: 148
  • Obsidian_Plating_Armor_(headgear)_(equipped).png
    Obsidian_Plating_Armor_(headgear)_(equipped).png
    644 bytes · Views: 136
  • Obsidian_Plating_Armor_(helmet)_(equipped).png
    Obsidian_Plating_Armor_(helmet)_(equipped).png
    703 bytes · Views: 136
  • Obsidian_Plating_Armor_(mask)_equipped.png
    Obsidian_Plating_Armor_(mask)_equipped.png
    647 bytes · Views: 133
Last edited:
This looks great. And the enemies look cool. but i do not like the yellow obsidian brick, it's a little not my color. But anyway great job, for thinking about everything. Great idea's is what i say :).

Reactions: Bry
This looks great. And the enemies look cool. but i do not like the yellow obsidian brick, it's a little not my color. But anyway great job, for thinking about everything. Great idea's is what i say :).
Thanks for the feedback. I'll see if I can fix up the Yellow Obsidian Brick. Maybe I'll make it a different color.

Great Idea, but I prefer if the castle is below the underworld and contain more powerful stuff and a demon boss that gets angry after defeating the moon lord!

Great Idea, but I prefer if the castle is below the underworld and contain more powerful stuff and a demon boss that gets angry after defeating the moon lord!
Seriously after the Moon Lord? Well then it is a long wait to return to the underworld with the castle and all. (I think then the Demon boss must be really strong at all!)

Well maybe as you think.

And a question for the owner of this thread: Could there also be an enemy that looks like a big turtle that has some cool attacks?
Well i'm not sure about the attacks but an obsidian turtle enemy should look cool.

I don't believe in any post-ML bosses, but enemies will do (maybe a miniboss). Most of the castle is in the Underworld, and I don't think this should reside below the Underworld (nor should anything else; I mean, the Underworld is the bottom of the world). As for the items, this is meant to be accessed after the defeat of the mechanical bosses, and serve for sort of early-Hardmode. Then again, I could add some post-Plantera or post-ML enemies with good drops.
And a question for the owner of this thread: Could there also be an enemy that looks like a big turtle that has some cool attacks?
Well i'm not sure about the attacks but an obsidian turtle enemy should look cool.
Yes, I could add that. Seems like a good fit.

I'll update this thread when I get the time. Thank you for the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom