The Pure Summoner Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shika

Empress of Light
(Ported over from TO, yey.)

Although the summoner class is fairly decent, it's best used in conjunction with another class. But what if it was the only class of weapon you could use?
In this challenge, your goal is to successfully obtain all boss trophies. You may not use any weapons that aren't summoner-class, not including tools. You must start with a new character and immediately trash the Copper Shortsword. No hacking or taking items from pre-existing worlds.
Even though you may only use summoning-class weapons, you may still use any acceptable tools to deal damage.

• Pickaxes
  • Axes
  • Hammers
  • Staff of Regrowth
  • Flare Gun
  • Ice Rod
  • Sickle
  • Bomb
  • Sticky Bomb
  • Dynamite
  • Explosives

Traps and buffs are also acceptable for dealing damage.

Try your own hand at this challenge. See how well you do.

Due to some complaints, you MAY choose to hack in a Slime Staff without any modifiers to start off. Not doing so, however, will net you extra bragging rights.

Yeah, I came up with this idea and was surprised there weren't any threads on it, so I made one. Yri's challenge came after, I'm sure of that. ppowersteef and Leinfors started posting their progress on my thread (ppowersteef with pics) well before Yri did the whole Hagrid thing. I have no idea if I was of any inspiration.

I'm having troubles with the Twins (I need that optic staff) even with Nimbus Rod which is not even a summoner weapon I still can't beat the twins (I run out of time, I was close 1 time, one of the Twins had about 500 HP left)... should I make a giant wall that spiders can cling on to defeat twins or should I keep trying with imp staff and nimbus rod, also, if I will be making a giant wall, how large should it be?

I'm having troubles with the Twins (I need that optic staff) even with Nimbus Rod which is not even a summoner weapon I still can't beat the twins (I run out of time, I was close 1 time, one of the Twins had about 500 HP left)... should I make a giant wall that spiders can cling on to defeat twins or should I keep trying with imp staff and nimbus rod, also, if I will be making a giant wall, how large should it be?
i'm pretty sure it should be large, around 2-4 times your screen resolution makes it at least possible,
you can also dig out the crimson/corruption world, because that spawns with background walls. if you think that's easier

the twins and duke fishron were my hardest ones

With The Twins, I just used my Imps and Hammush until I was about to die, then ran over to the Nurse. I had a lot of buffs on.

I was doing this before but I ended up using more boulders than summons... maybe I should just say I did a Boulder challenge.

One problem I have with the "Acceptable tools" thing though is that a lot of tools in the game are ALSO designed to be used as sword-like weapons, like the War Axe of the Night, the Reaver Shark and the Rockfish. I would argue that you should only be able to use Copper versions of the tools to deal earlygame damage (wood in the case of the Hammers), but all other damage should be dealt via Summoning items. (Although, saying that, I'd also count items like the Crimson Rod and the Bee Gun as "summoner" items, considering they don't do direct damage)

If I were to do this challenge I would find it very difficult mainly due to the fact that I love my guns and may end up switching halfway through :p

If anyone's willing to make a mod that reduces ALL non-summoner weapon damage to zero, be my guest. It would make things a lot easier for the challenge, and the coding wouldn't be that difficult, I wouldn't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom