NPCs & Enemies The Rogue: An Assasin you can Befriend

Cjslick

Terrarian
Ever wanted another NPC? Of course you do, what a stupid question to ask you, but what about another NPC you have to defeat to befriend? How's that for a question. This is somewhat based off of my Bounty Hunter NPC suggestion, but I think alot more polished, however feel free to take a look at it, it's entirely different and has validity in multiplayer.

Contents:
1. Finding the Rogue
2. The Rogue
3. The Assasins
4. Quest Milestones
5. Conclusion

Finding The Rogue:
The Rogue is initially a weaker Type 1 Assasin, which will be one of the enemies in this thread:
Type 1 Assasin:
HP: 800 (Rogue: 500 HP)
Attack: 95 (Rogue: 68), 458 (Backstab)
Defense: 30 (Rogue: 15)
Speed: Very High (Rogue: High)
AI: Fighter
KB Resist: 50%

Drops: (100%) Dog Tags (Quest Item) (Rogue has no drops)

Type 1 Assasins will spawn rarely in the opposite direction of the player, if the player does not turn towards the assasin when he delivers a first strike, he will recieve the Backstab Damage (which can be an instant kill as soon as you start Hardmode). After his first strike he will immediatley run away from the player, in a few seconds when touches a wall he will mysteriously vanish, making him despawn, meaning if you're going to kill an assasin, you have to be quick and be in a closed space.

The Rogue will appear randomly in the Underground and Cavern layers of the world after defeating the Wall of Flesh. The Assasin can randomly strike at anytime. When you manage to defeat him, his mask will fly off and he will kneel in defeat. Approach him and he will say one of the following phrases;
- Who are you, young warrior? I know some things that can help you, but you have to kill the others.
- I'm too old to continue being an assasin, I'll give you all the information you need about our purpose.
- I've been defeated, but I can never go back to them. If you want to stop us you'll listen to what I have to say.

The Rogue:
The Rogue appears dressed in a set of purple high-tech armor, however he is then wrapped in a dusty brown tattered scarf, he is a more pale white and his hair is gray, it appears to be military cut, but it is somewhat messy as well.

Names: Ansem, Bolten, Dyne, Elias, Gorden, Hexelm, Kent, Lynch, Slade, Turoch, Zev.
Phrases:
When a Quest is available:

"Feeling a little bloodthirsty today? There's another assasin in the area."
"I know a guy you can take out, he's only out here for today though."
"My scouter says there's an assasin. And I thought [Name of Angler] was only useful for sleeping on the beach."
"There have been some sightings of an assasin in the area. Care to take a look into them?"
"You might be interested in this next assasin, he's after [Name of Random NPC]."

When Quests aren't available:
"Settle down, we can't take out the entire organization in a whole day."
"There aren't any assasins left, we'll see if there's one tomorrow."
"I can't tire you out, I need you to help take out the WHOLE organization."
"There are alot of us, but the thing is we like to hide. Come back tomorrow, I'll find one."
"No more assasins have been sighted, I'll tell you when we find another."

The Assasins:
There are different kinds of assasins, each of them deadly with their own methods, but each of them is rare to find, much like Quest Fish, they can only be found when the quest has been activated. The catch for Assasins, however is if not defeated quickly enough can despawn, so this is a true test of your combat skils and your arsenal. Below are some more assasins for you to see.

Type 1 Assasin:
"I remember leading the Type 1 clan, this is one of my own men, they are all formidable and they are extremely deadly. If you need some advice on how to deal with one, just watch your six. Bring back his dog tags for me and I'll give you something that will be worth your time.

(See Spoiler labeled "Type 1 Assasin")

You can redeem the Dog Tags for 50 Gold or one of these:
Assasin Garbs (Vanity)

G6zgUvx.png

Speed Sabre:
40 Melee Damage (Short-Mid Length)
Very Fast Speed (Autoswing)
+8% Critical Strike Chance
Weak Knockback
Deals double damage while running at full speed.

I6wzNZl.png

Dexterity Bangle (Accessory):
Increases fire rate of all Bows
(Can be combined with Feral Claws)

Type 8 Assasin:
"Type 8 Assasins, quick with a gun and quick on their feet. If you don't knock him down quickly, he'll slip away from you. If you hit him close he'll only move away from you, try and hit him from a distance, or strike him with one of those magic staves or whatever. His visor will be his identity, bring it back and I'll reward you handsomly."

Type 8 Assasin:
HP: 925
Attack: 60
Defense: 50
Speed: Medium
AI: Fighter (With Ranged Weapon)
KB Resist: 90%

Drops: (100%) Visor Shades (Quest Item)

Type 8 will be equipped with a ranged weapon which can be relatively deadly upon hit. The assasin will fire 8 bullets and then he will vanish, despawning. Hitting him with a melee weapon or summoned entity will make him instantly teleport to a different location and he will continue to fire from there. Hitting him with a ranged/magic weapon does not trigger this, but he will continue to fire while being attacked.
You can redeem the Visor Shades for 50 Gold or one of these:

98xa4tK.png

Magnum:
62 Ranged Damage
Slow Speed
+15% Critical Strike Chance
Strong Knockback

UFaDEp4.png

(20-40) Kunai:
30 Ranged Damage
Fast Speed
+12% Critical Strike Chance
Weak Knockback

Facemask (Vanity Accessory)

Type 22 Assasin:
"This clan of assasins, the Type 22s are a fast, percise and merciless breed of assasin. They will ravage you with their blades, yet they can still keep you at a distance. I hope you can keep up with them, because if they manage to hit you, it could be hard for you to find them again, You can either let him come to you, or track him down and hit him. Either way, retrieve his Insignia
Band and you'll find yourself rewarded handsomly."

Type 22 Assasin:
HP: 990
Attack: 92
Defense: 40
Speed: Fast
KB Resist: 100%
Drops: (100%) Insignia Band (Quest Item)

Type 22 will attack you from any corner of the screen, flying from one side to the other. When he leaves your field of view, he will teleport and spawn on the other side, but be warned, if he hits you more that 3 times, the next time he leaves the screen, he will despawn entirely. Hit him fast with an accurate weapon and hope he doesn't hit you. Occasionally, he may latch onto a wall and attack in your direction, this is only if there is a wall near the player while the assasin is jumping towards you.

You can redeem the Insignia Band for 75 Gold or one of these:

sLbwr5l.png

Cross Sheathes (Accessory):
Weild two different swords and swing them consecutively. (Put the second sword in the hot bar in order to activate the effect, it will use the next available sword.) (I realized how OP this can be and I tried to nerf it from the original Dual Sheathes, but the best way to counter this is with Cross Necklace.)

rr9G7xz.png

Akuma Fūma:
48 Melee Damage
Fast Speed
+12% Critical Strike Chance
Very Weak Knockback
Inflicts Darkness.

Kenpo Gi:
22 Defense:
+15% Increased damage and movement speed
+10% Increased melee attack speed and Critical Strike chance

Type 36 Assasin:
"An assasin who does not believe in speed, but in aggression. They are not only large but menacing as well, they weild a mace which they swing without quarter, and a shield when facing heavy resistance. When you do finally manage to take him down, find his medallion so I can identify him, and don't worry, you will be getting a nice reward for this."

Type 36 Assasin
HP: 1850, ~ 925
Attack: 88, 40
Defense: 48, 70
Speed: Slow, Medium
KB Resist: 90%, 100%
Drops: (100%) Medallion (Quest Item)

The Type 36 is much like your Paladin, except somewhat shorter and a little easier to fight. The Paladin will attack with a mace, which deals quite a bit of damage. When he drops below 50% HP he will begin to charge forward with his shield, increasing his speed, defense and making him immune to knockback. This actually makes him harder to kill, because when you finally get him below 50% HP, if he leaves your view, he will despawn (I bet you didn't see that coming) . So just stay on him and hope your weapons can stand a chance against him.
You can redeem the Medallion for 90 Gold or one of these:
0rp12qK.png

Palladium Shield:
4 Defense
Halves damage taken from ranged sources when standing still.

7fROr3q.png

Razer:
36 Melee Damage (Short Length)
Fast Speed
+8% Critical Strike Chance
Very Weak Knockback
50% chance to ignore enemy defense.

Blackmail (Vanity Shirt):
Use it to intimidate others.

Type 59 Assasin:
"I hope you can find him, because he prefers to keep his targets at a tremendous distance, where he's the deadliest. If you're going to take him down, you have to be quick before he disappears. Getting close may prove to be a challenge, as he will vanish when you find him. He'll go out of view for another shot. However once you do find him, get me his eye, not the normal one, but the one he uses to snipe with, that will tell me who he is... Well what are you waiting for? Oh yeah... you'll get an award for your dirty work. "

Type 59 Assasin
HP: 600
Attack: 132
Defense: 25
Speed: Stationary
KB Resist: 85%
Drops: (100%) Sniper Eye (Quest Item)

Similar to the Skeleton Sniper, Type 59 will tend to spawn away from the player and will fire on him dealing immaculate damage, however if the player does not find the assasin a few seconds after he shoots, he will of course despawn. After a few seconds, if you do manage to see him in your field of view, but do not hit him he will vanish and appear in a different location off screen. His shots penetrate through walls always.
You can redeem the Sniper Eye for 1 Platinum or one of these:

yxorEpp.png

Hunterkiller Rifle:
72 Ranged Damage
Average Speed
Average Knockback

PObuvBH.png

RC Remote:
Summons a mini quadrocopter to shine light in front of the player.

Pilot Mask (Vanity Accessory)
Breath easier at high altitude while looking like an elephant.

Type 88 Assasin:
"Type 88 isn't much of a fighter, he's more of an owner, as in he'll send his highly trained attack dogs after you. These aren't cute dogs either, they'll do anything to stop you from getting to him, including knocking you back. But when you overcome the dogs he isn't as much of a threat. Bring me his dog whistle, that will allow me to find out who he is and it'll give me a reason to give you something nice."

Location: Anywhere above ground around dusk or during the nighttime.

Type 88 Assasin
HP: 750, (Attack Dog) 250
Attack: 48, 92
Defense: 32, 20
Speed: Medium, Very Fast
AI: Fighter, Wolf (Duh...)
KB Resist: 70%, 90%
Drops: (100%) Dog Whistle (Quest Item)
You can redeem the Dog Whistle for 1 Platinum or:

He sends a few dogs to attack you, they're essentially somewhat weaker wolves/unicorns. When he sends his last dog, he'll begin to flee the scene leaving you to the dogs (See what I did there?). When he stumbles out of view, he will (as you can predict) despawn, but his doggies won't. When you slay his dogs, he'll just send more poor, innocent dogs to try and take you down again, and the cycle repeats itself until you finally do kill him or he flees.
You can redeem the Dog Whistle for 1 Platinum or one of these:

qYBwDOo.png

Tactical Stick:
28 Summon Damage
Average Speed
Strong Knockback
Summons little attack puppies to fight for you. (The puppies each wear cute little tactical vests and come in 3 different breeds. They preffer to stay on the ground and pounce on their targets dealing damage. When flying, puppies will grow little propellers out of the back of their vest and follow you.)

MyglYVy.png

Drill Whistle (Accessory):
+15% Increased Minion attack speed
+8% Increased Minion damage

Bucket Cap (Vanity Hat)
Now with more room for your hair!

Quest Milestones:
These Items are obtained when you reach a certain completed quest threshold, they are given on the milestone regardless of whichever quest item you are to exchange.

20 Successful Quests unlocks: Red Dot Sight (Accessory)
vK3RB8z.png

Decreases spread of bullets for non-automatic weapons. (Each gun displays the Red Dot Sight when firing spesific guns as well as changing the reticle to a red dot instead of a cursor) (IMO this should be the same with the sniper scope) (Conbine with Destroyer Emblem to make Holographic Sight which works for all weapons?)

40 Successful Quests unlocks: Revitalizer (Accessory)
Consumes Mana to restore HP when below 25% (It's 1 Mana for 1 HP)

60 Sucessful Quests unlocks: Fragarach
53w5AZr.png

54 Melee Damage (Medium-Long)
Very Fast Speed
Average Knockback
Hurls golden discs which hover in the air for a breif period of time. (Location where discs will hovor is defined by cursor when swung.)
(Possible upgrade to True Fragarach?)

Conclusion:
I hope you think this is a good combat oriented Quest NPC, I gave it a mysterious background yet one that can immerse the player into the quests.

I could always use some sprites for each of the vanity items and the enemies (I'm not good at making them look Terraria-styled). I spent a good 5 hours on this post (I wrote it over 3 days) and I think it would be nice to recieve a warm welcome back to the forums after an 8 month hiatus.

Like mabye you could just kill normal enemy's, and then have the game register when you kill one.

What challenge would that be, killing enemies you typically kill. Quests are supposed to be challenging and exclusive, and diverse.

Assassin.
Also, it's a good idea i guess, but somehow i feel this doesn't fit very well with Terraria.

Sorry, for the frequently mispelled word.

What do you mean by "doesn't fit very well with Terraria." There are no boundaries in what can fit with Terraria, it's a sandbox game.

What challenge would that be, killing enemies you typically kill. Quests are supposed to be challenging and exclusive, and diverse.

Sorry, for the frequently mispelled word.

What do you mean by "doesn't fit very well with Terraria." There are no boundaries in what can fit with Terraria, it's a sandbox game.

It doesn't seem to fit very well with the game's mechanics at all. All enemies can be fought optimally in this game by just building your world that way. It will never be a challenge because people could create specific traps for the "targets" and it'd be way too easy.

Yes, terraria is a sandbox game, but it is also a construction game- not a tactical espionage simulation.

There are so many wasted opportunities for spy/assasin references here - maybe a type 47 (Hitman), unless there already is some theme to the numbers that I'm missing.
Also maybe something to do with James Bond/TF2 spy/The Elder Scrolls' Dark Brotherhood, or any others anyone can think of. That's just my opinion though, it might be I am overly obsessed with references and stuff or that I am missing a load of really obvious ones you've already put in.

I do like the idea though and would definitely like another quest giving NPC that is more exciting than the angler.

Type 47, crap, why didn't I think of that? I think I have a few ideas for a new assasin. Idk what I could make for James Bond it's kinda like Type 8, but not really. The TF2 Spy is kinda what I tried to image for Type 1 (he can execute backstab attacks, much like the spy can). Finally for the Dark Brotherhood, I'm not exactly sure what I could reference in any of the assasins to emulate, Type 1 is also the closest you can get to Dark Brotherhood.

Thanks for the inspiration, some people feel the lack of diverse quests, so hopefully I can make type 47 a little more diverse.

Back
Top Bottom