The Roguelike thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCT

Terrarian
Not a creative thread title I know. Anyway this is a thread for all things roguelike from ADOM to Tales of Maj'eyal(couldn't think of a RL that starts with Z)

So why do a thread about RL? Well I been playing RL since the days of the old Commodore 64 computer of course I didn't know some of the games I played back then such as Sword of Fargoal and Telengaurd were Roguelikes the term wasn't really used back then it wasn't until many years later and I always had a strong love for this little sub-genre.

Anyway for those who don't know what is or isn't a Roguelike here is a brief definition and no I will not be citing the Berlin Interpretation since it's just a poor and outdated attempt at trying to define a sub-genre of games using old notions of it's fore-bearer that generally were done out of limitations for example according to the Berlin interpertation all true rougelikes use AscII graphics despite the fact that the offical commercial releases of Rogue itself which were published by Epyx(US)/Mastertroinics(UK) had actual non-ascii graphics well save for the DOS version.

Anyway a Roguelike is a game that as it's name implies is like Rogue which was a small rpg created in 1980 which itself took elements from other games such as Beneath Apple Manor and DND(later remade as Telengaurd). Which featured random or procedurally generated levels, random items and enemy placements and premadeath and usually a form of turn based game play where nothing happens until the player makes a move or does a action which causes everything in the level to do one move.

So what are your favorite RL's? what(if any) are you currently playing, what RL's are your favorite or recommend others to check out?

Personally I been putting quite a bit of time into ToME4/Tales of Maj'eyal and it's DLC, Sword of Fargoal for the c64(to this day I have yet to win that game but so help me I will) and trying out Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead.

I guess I'll be the first to mention two of the most popular roguelikes on Steam: The Binding of Isaac and FTL. Both of them are super fun and I would recommend them to anyone. Another good one is Don't Starve.

I've played a few of the newer roguelikes, though I couldn't name them if I had to. If I'm going to play a rougelike, then I'd rather start Angband or even Moria back up, which I have done a few times over the past several years. Very few things measure up to the first time younger me met a balrog and stated "You shall not PASS!!" to the screen and getting weird looks because no one other than nerds knew what Middle Earth was back then. While I'm not a fan of permadeath, roguelikes hold a very special place in my heart.

Right now i'm playing one, it's called "One way heroics", it has a very original idea, and it always surprises me the weird ways i get myself into dying.

I've played a few of the newer roguelikes, though I couldn't name them if I had to. If I'm going to play a rougelike, then I'd rather start Angband or even Moria back up, which I have done a few times over the past several years. Very few things measure up to the first time younger me met a balrog and stated "You shall not PASS!!" to the screen and getting weird looks because no one other than nerds knew what Middle Earth was back then. While I'm not a fan of permadeath, roguelikes hold a very special place in my heart.

I got into roguelikes when I was like 8 years old. And funnily enough it was Angband on an old Apple compy. Roguelikes infuriate the hell out of me with cheap deaths but I always find myself loving to play them.

I play a lot of rougelike games.
So far, I have played BoI/Rebirth, FTL, and Super House of Dead Ninjas. Have not yet played Rouge Legacy and Risk of Rain in my library.
I'm currently busy with Rebirth and SHoDN.
Rebirth is obvious, but for SHoDN, I'm gunning for new world record in speed run. I used to hold 2 in that game, but someone took one away from me.
Revenge will be mine.

I play a lot of rougelike games.
So far, I have played BoI/Rebirth, FTL, and Super House of Dead Ninjas. Have not yet played Rouge Legacy and Risk of Rain in my library.
I'm currently busy with Rebirth and SHoDN.
Rebirth is obvious, but for SHoDN, I'm gunning for new world record in speed run. I used to hold 2 in that game, but someone took one away from me.
Revenge will be mine.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Rogue Legacy. That game is really good. You should definitely play it.

I wish my computer could run Rogue Legacy. I still have no idea why it won't stop being so choppy.

REBIRTH! REBIRTH! REBIRTH!

Goddamn I love the Binding Of Isaac and the Crypt of the Necrodancer isn't bad either.

I absolutely love roguelikes and the importance of survival. Binding of Isaac and Realm of the Mad God are two very good examples of this genre.

Would Magicite count? I mean, there's permadeath, randomized items, levels and enemies... But it also has crafting.

Best rougelike game of the year so far: Crypt of the NecroDancer.
If you don't have this game yet, you are an idiot.

Of course, Nuclear Throne will replace that title in my book when it comes out this year.

Hmmmmmmmm none come right off the top of my head except maybe would gnomoria be counted as rogue like or city builder as when all gnomes die it's over if not then one life borderlands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom