• PC NEWS: 1.4.2.3 update is out! More info here. Report bugs here
  • CONSOLE 1.4 NEWS: The current plan is to have Terraria: Journey's End out for Xbox and PlayStation in Q3 2021 (Jul-Sep). Switch will follow shortly afterwards. More info here. Stay up to date with console news here
  • MOBILE NEWS: Stay up to date with the latest mobile news here. Report mobile bugs here

Theory: The Guide's TRUE Identity

InkTheAlphaCrafter

Brain of Cthulhu
Guide Fanart Picture.png

Ah, the guide! The first NPC you meet! Your first friend in the world of Terraria! We all have heard about the guide! We know his behavior, his jobs, his looks. But how much do we really know? Where did the Guide come from? Why is he working with us? What did he do in the past? Is it possible the Guide is not who we think he is? Well, let's discuss!

What We Know:
Le'ts start off with some of the basic related lore. There are three main societies mentioned in the lore:
  1. The Dryads
  2. The "Former Folks" (Which is the name I've given to the former citizens of the city that became the Dungeon. This is what they'll be referred to in this article until we know the actual name.)
  3. The Lunatic Cult (Formed after Cthulhu was weakened into the Moon Lord)
Unfortunately, the world has lost many of it's inhabitants. All but one of the Dryads lost their lives during the Great War of Cthulhu. The "Former Folks" were cursed and went mad, and have become the daunting undead army we find in the Dungeon, the place where the Lunatic Cult holds the Mechanic hostage. The only group that somehow has held together was the Lunatic Cult, which leads me to my theory: Is the Guide a former member of the Lunatic Cult?

Evidence and Reasoning:
At first glance, this theory seems unreasonable, because the Guide helps you and honestly is not the most powerful or useful NPC. But when the evidence is gathered is one place, it begins to paint a decently clear picture.

The Lore:
The lore of Terraria describes the Guide as mysterious. This can be interpreted as that the Guide is hiding something. After all, a mysterious person doesn't usually act mysterious without a reason. This isn't necessarily important to the theory, but it does make you suspicious of the Guide. Also, going back to the groups mentioned earlier in the article, neither the Dryads nor the "Former Folks" would make sense for the Guide to be a part of. All but one of the Dryads died out, and we know the Guide is not that Dryad, since that Dryad is another NPC that can be unlocked. And the "Former Folks" were turned into an undead army locked in the Dungeon, so the Guide can't be from there, either. That leaves the Lunatic Cult.

The Guide Voodoo Doll:
The Guide Voodoo Doll is what you use to summon the Wall of Flesh, the core of the world and the final pre-hardmode boss. After the Wall of Flesh is defeated, all hell breaks lose in the world. Literally. After defeating the Wall of Flesh, the Corruption or Crimson biomes in your world begin to spread, and another biome called the Hallow is unleashed. The Wall of Flesh is summoned after a guide voodoo doll is thrown into lava. When that happens, the Guide will die. The only other NPC like this is the Old Man, who when talked to at night, can summon Skeletron. The Old Man dies after Skeletron is summoned. The Old Man was cursed, and, according to the lore, has fallen into possession of the Lunatic Cult. I believe the Guide may have unfortunately met the same fate, which is why if he was part of the Lunatic Cult, this is no longer the case.

The Guide's Knowledge:
The Guide is an extremely knowledgeable NPC. This is why he is the one you talk to for beginner's tips and crafting recipes. But why is the Guide so knowledgeable? I believe it's because the Guide had to be knowledgeable as part of the Lunatic Cult. Knowledge of the world would be handy to bringing back Cthulhu. However when he left the Lunatic Cult for whatever reason, the Guide decided to use his knowledge differently. While I feel this is the least significant piece of evidence and the least likely to be true, I feel like it would still be handy to point out.

Now, this is all just a theory, and therefore may not be 100% accurate and is not confirmed yet. However I have a good feeling about this theory due to all the evidence that points towards it being true. What do you think the story behind the Guide is? I would love to know! The Guide is a mysterious character. I hope to see Re-Logic release more lore about each character. Until then, all we can do is wonder.

Arnt we actually evil for killing the cult. Wasn't the cult trying to stop the moon lord, but we just brutally murdered them. What happens if the guide was with the moon lord pretending he was on our team

InkTheAlphaCrafter

Brain of Cthulhu
Arnt we actually evil for killing the cult. Wasn't the cult trying to stop the moon lord, but we just brutally murdered them. What happens if the guide was with the moon lord pretending he was on our team
I do believe we are evil, but not for that. I will cover my thoughts on why I believe the player is evil in a future post. SPOILER: It actually has something to do with the Wall of Flesh and the spread of the Corruption!

Sora_92

Terrarian
He is mysterious, but I don't think he does anything with the dungeon, or the dungeon coven (AKA. lunar cult). He's also obviously not a dryad, but the lore says only one dryad survived (and that's another NPC, yeah).
But I think some lore (although some of them are just silly inconsistent stuff) says, that the guide and the wall of flesh are the same thing.

This would mean, that instead of him being the sacrifice to summon WoF, when you throw the guide voodoo doll in lava, he'll transform into WoF, and fight you, to test you if you're strong enough. WoF is referred as the guardian of the world or something, a force that serves as a seal, regarding the spirits of light and darkness - and whatever other stuff. that is, what hardmode has to offer.

So, I think, the guide is more like, a sort of god/demigod-like being, not a human. he has two forms, one is the gruesome and frightening monster that is the wall of flesh, and the other is his human-like form, that looks so painfully ordinary... XD (in fact, he looks so ordinary, it's suspicious in itself XD)
He's the core and guardian of the world. As such, he has inmerse knowledge.

But he is a force unrelated from the whole dungeon thing. that's more like, something about various factions.
I don't think the "former people" all were cursed with undeath and reside in the dungeon, if we think about it, there are all these NPCs who are not very young, so they must had lived somewhere prior to moving in one of the player's towns too.
There are also all the zombies, skeletons and whatnot loitering in the world, both on the surface and the caverns.

The dungeon is more like a different faction, that does nothing with "all former inhabitants" though it most likely had a town (or city) nearby, and the people of that were cursed. there are also many other undeads there who I think (and part based on their bestiary entries) originally were not part of that. some of the undeads are the results of other factions doing something with the dungeon, like the ninjas who hide in the shadows (bone lee), holy knights who would be sent to clear the dungeon of the undead, but fell in the battle, and turned into undeads (paladdins), an elite commando unit sent to clear the dungeon later - also got killed, and the dungeon reanimated their remains as its own units (skeleton commando, skeleton sniper, etc.)

I think the dungeon coven is a relatively new thing (as in, not as old as the ancient batle with Ctulhu and the dryads. They moved in the dungeon (and somehow are unaffected by the curse.) and do various shady stuff there in order to resurrect Ctulhu.
I think that the old man was a former member, maybe even the former boss. since it was him who kidnapped the mechanic originally. then I guess the old man got exiled from the coven for whatever reason, or the lunatic cultist - originally might be just a high-ranking member) did a coup d' at, and took power, and kicked out the old man. After that, the old man got cursed or something.

(actually, I think it would be interesting, if the lunatic cult would appear earlier in the game several times, like most pokémon villain teams, etc. like, if they are the big bad behind the scenes, it's kinda lame there isn't even anything suggesting they exist and do shady things, until post golem, when they appear at the dungeon's entrance.)

But there are also all sort of other factors that aren't necessarily related to the lunatic cultist and the cult. some things are, like the mech bosses (were made by the mechanic, because the cult forced her to make those)

but there are other things, like Queen bee for example, that does absolutely nothing with all that, as she's just an enormous insect, queen of the jungle hives. Plantera is also not really related, she's more like the monarch of the jungle - although somehow slightly related to the dungeon, because she cursed the biome keys. Golem (and the whole jungle temple) is also likely unrelated.
As well as some other stuff. like the eater of worlds, which is just a huge worm residing in the corruption, feeding on the world itself. brain of ctulhu is related to ctulhu, of course, but it seems more like "the" "hive mind" that the crimson itself follows, and the cult might be not even entirelly aware what it is. (which is might be why there's no mechanical counterpart for it)
there are also demons in the underworld, and all sorts of other random stuff, like goblins and pirates from probably faraway lands, who came there in hope of robbing the place and gaining all sorts of treasures.

So, yeah, it's an eclectic chaos with all sorts of factions doing all sorts of random, unrelated stuff often unrelated to each other.
And I think the guide is related to the world, but isn't really related to the dungeon or the cult.

Then again, that's also just some theories.

Jariko88

Eye of Cthulhu
He must be sent down from a sort of god as he is the only living human being besides from the player when you first start off.
Maybe he is God

This is pretty cool, I somewhat specialize in specific Terraria Lore, but mostly remain inconclusive with certain information. There's a few additions that threw a wrench into some of my previous theories, such as:
  1. The Celebration Event/ Night Lanterns Event that takes place once a Boss is defeated.
  2. This means two things, a.) there are more people out there & b.) the Bosses were terrorizing the citizens (so yeah, you're the good guy).
  3. This makes perfect sense because NPCs populate your town after Bosses are defeated, meaning they were likely in hiding.
  4. There are a number of cursed NPCs to go around, which now includes the Zoologist NPC (this means curses are pretty common in this World).
  5. So this means The Guide, Clothier, King Slime, Pirate NPC & Zoologist are all afflicted in some way or another.
The addition of a Hollow Guardian, EoL, also makes thing a bit more complicated. I'm still working through some of my own theories, so it's good to see I'll have someone else to bounce ideas off-of if & when the time comes; good stuff! 😊🥤

InkTheAlphaCrafter

Brain of Cthulhu
He is mysterious, but I don't think he does anything with the dungeon, or the dungeon coven (AKA. lunar cult). He's also obviously not a dryad, but the lore says only one dryad survived (and that's another NPC, yeah).
But I think some lore (although some of them are just silly inconsistent stuff) says, that the guide and the wall of flesh are the same thing.

This would mean, that instead of him being the sacrifice to summon WoF, when you throw the guide voodoo doll in lava, he'll transform into WoF, and fight you, to test you if you're strong enough. WoF is referred as the guardian of the world or something, a force that serves as a seal, regarding the spirits of light and darkness - and whatever other stuff. that is, what hardmode has to offer.

So, I think, the guide is more like, a sort of god/demigod-like being, not a human. he has two forms, one is the gruesome and frightening monster that is the wall of flesh, and the other is his human-like form, that looks so painfully ordinary... XD (in fact, he looks so ordinary, it's suspicious in itself XD)
He's the core and guardian of the world. As such, he has inmerse knowledge.

But he is a force unrelated from the whole dungeon thing. that's more like, something about various factions.
I don't think the "former people" all were cursed with undeath and reside in the dungeon, if we think about it, there are all these NPCs who are not very young, so they must had lived somewhere prior to moving in one of the player's towns too.
There are also all the zombies, skeletons and whatnot loitering in the world, both on the surface and the caverns.

The dungeon is more like a different faction, that does nothing with "all former inhabitants" though it most likely had a town (or city) nearby, and the people of that were cursed. there are also many other undeads there who I think (and part based on their bestiary entries) originally were not part of that. some of the undeads are the results of other factions doing something with the dungeon, like the ninjas who hide in the shadows (bone lee), holy knights who would be sent to clear the dungeon of the undead, but fell in the battle, and turned into undeads (paladdins), an elite commando unit sent to clear the dungeon later - also got killed, and the dungeon reanimated their remains as its own units (skeleton commando, skeleton sniper, etc.)

I think the dungeon coven is a relatively new thing (as in, not as old as the ancient batle with Ctulhu and the dryads. They moved in the dungeon (and somehow are unaffected by the curse.) and do various shady stuff there in order to resurrect Ctulhu.
I think that the old man was a former member, maybe even the former boss. since it was him who kidnapped the mechanic originally. then I guess the old man got exiled from the coven for whatever reason, or the lunatic cultist - originally might be just a high-ranking member) did a coup d' at, and took power, and kicked out the old man. After that, the old man got cursed or something.

(actually, I think it would be interesting, if the lunatic cult would appear earlier in the game several times, like most pokémon villain teams, etc. like, if they are the big bad behind the scenes, it's kinda lame there isn't even anything suggesting they exist and do shady things, until post golem, when they appear at the dungeon's entrance.)

But there are also all sort of other factors that aren't necessarily related to the lunatic cultist and the cult. some things are, like the mech bosses (were made by the mechanic, because the cult forced her to make those)

but there are other things, like Queen bee for example, that does absolutely nothing with all that, as she's just an enormous insect, queen of the jungle hives. Plantera is also not really related, she's more like the monarch of the jungle - although somehow slightly related to the dungeon, because she cursed the biome keys. Golem (and the whole jungle temple) is also likely unrelated.
As well as some other stuff. like the eater of worlds, which is just a huge worm residing in the corruption, feeding on the world itself. brain of ctulhu is related to ctulhu, of course, but it seems more like "the" "hive mind" that the crimson itself follows, and the cult might be not even entirelly aware what it is. (which is might be why there's no mechanical counterpart for it)
there are also demons in the underworld, and all sorts of other random stuff, like goblins and pirates from probably faraway lands, who came there in hope of robbing the place and gaining all sorts of treasures.

So, yeah, it's an eclectic chaos with all sorts of factions doing all sorts of random, unrelated stuff often unrelated to each other.
And I think the guide is related to the world, but isn't really related to the dungeon or the cult.

Then again, that's also just some theories.
This could also be a theory. I didn’t think about him being the Wall of Flesh because of the message telling the player that the Guide is slain when you summon the Wall of Flesh. But you also have a great theory!

Sora_92

Terrarian
This could also be a theory. I didn’t think about him being the Wall of Flesh because of the message telling the player that the Guide is slain when you summon the Wall of Flesh. But you also have a great theory!
characters being "slain" is a strange thing anyway. it can be it's just an "easier way" (and more mysterious) to refer to him turned to his WoF form, etc.
it's like how santa explodes into a bunch of gores when christmas season ends. he could just disappear in a puff of smoke like the angler, saying "santa left" but no... he just explodes for seemingly no reason...

it also brings up the problem with "is the new person who moved in is the same"? e.g. you have Humphrey the merchant. a pirate corsair cut him into pieces. the next day, Calvin the merchant moves in into the late Humphrey's house. Is the two the same, or not? Why are they're called different? Because, you could assume they are the same, but then the name change is weird and counfusing. and if they would be not the same people...?
that makes NPC relations even weirder, if the goblin and the mechanic are in love with each other. then one of them dies, you get a new one move in, and poof they're high over heels for each other, and totally forgotten about the previous one. that sounds dark and disturbing XD So, better just say they're the same people. but why the name changes...?

So, yeah, I dunno if "XY the guide was slain" really means he died, or something else.

Jabbahutt317

Retinazer
My theory is that the lunatic cult is full of lhizards who lost faith in golem (after the player defeats him) and so they move on to a more powerful being to worship THE MOON LORD Cthulhu

Top Bottom