tModLoader Tmodloader mod developement questions

Chillco

Terrarian
Im new to tmodloader, and i have MANY questions off the bat, first is the elephant in the room, where do i learn all this stuff? its not well documented from what i can tell, i looked up "how to delay a sword swing tmodloader C#" on google and found no relevant results, id think that having a sword wait a second or two before swinging would be a common question and have a well documented sollution, 2 massive mods, calamity and overhaul, both use this (calamity with that scythe thing that i forgot the name of, and overhaul with its heavy attacks) i looked up how to use npc IDs, and never once did it say to use NPCID, where are all these things documented? they feel like common questions but i guess im just asking too advanced of questions? doubt it when these things are THAT simple and straight to the point. found a WIKI but it only really had the most bare bones doccumentation ever.

second, how do i do many of the things id want to that just feel... alien to many mods? ive heard of how restrictive terrarias engine can be, i mean ive looked through a discussion once about how they cant have players hop into the background because itd be against their engine, anyway i want to make a few things that feel like they may be a bit more than this engine can handle, and thats funny considering how simple they are, first off: i want to make a grenade that, when detonates, flings sand ball projectiles in a random ammount in a random direction, second: i want to make a sword that, when colliding with any surface or enemy, explodes into 3 line-like explosions in the direction the player is facing (one going straight, one going 45 degrees, and one going 315 degrees) before the sword itself detonates. I can already tell that this may be too much for the engine to handle despite how simple they may sound, with a more open engine it shouldnt be hard, third: i want to make a nuke that, when detonated, turns the entire world into a radioactive, entirely new, wasteland type mode, think of it like a post-hardmode, itl melt the snow biome turning it into a cold, polluted crator, itl make the jungle biome become overgrown with crimson and form the crimson jungle, itl make all the grass into a gross yellow stained fuzz, and itl turn the world into a tattered mess with multiple giant cracks in it, it already seems like loads of mods that simply generate new ores have a hard time doing it, so how could the engine handle all this?

third, this ties into my second question, but how restrictive IS the terraria engine? what functions does it have and can i just make new things from ground up or do i have to follow its engines rules? seems like people making mod examples all follow the terraria engine rules and methods religiously, i always thought of engines as assisting tools to help make a game, not something that holds you hostage to make a game with its tools and its tools only, but what do i know ive never made a game without a initial game engine before :indifferent:. I dont even feel like i need to know as much as i should about C# with how much the engine force feeds me stuff to work with, whether i want to or not (dont get me wrong i know C#, i work on unity games so i have to, to an extent atleast).

thats really all the questions i got, if people could help me out here with understanding this confusing engine that would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom