Blocks & Decoration Trapdoors, what could be.

GrazzHopper

Terrarian
Hello terrarian enth.... cough. Hello there,
This is my first real post here, so I decided to make it about an idea that has plagued my mind for an eon.
Trapdoors, The problem with trapdoors stems from a few key issues that harm their usefulness.
Currently, the only way to use trap doors in builds is when going straight up and down, and you would just use a platform in that case, plus they aren't wide enough to be used on top of stairs.
While building, I had the idea to use them outside like cellar doors, a cute way to get to the basement from outside. But I ran into the issues mentioned below.

1. They require 2 solid tiles on both of their sides to be placed, Similar to a door requiring 2 tiles above and below it.
2. how thin they are (2 tiles wide) this limits the ways they could be used.(see attachment for example)
3. they do not auto open and close. It's just a lil annoying.
4. not as big of an issue, but they only have one wood type or "style" (not that big of an issue)

There are a few ways to fix issues 1-3, Either you make trapdoors able to auto open/close for starters, then I'd either allow them to be placed with no restrictions (i.e. solid tiles on both sides)
this will allow 2 or more trapdoors to be placed side by side, increasing how wide they can be in a way. OR introduce a new trapdoor type that is 5 tiles long, "5 tiles?!?!," yes five tiles.
This will allow a trapdoor to lead directly into stairs, so the player doesn't get stuck when going up the stairs (see attachment.)
The "style" or wood type isn't really an issue that needs fixing like the others.

image_2022-04-24_080303786.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom