Game Mechanics Treasure Hunts

Anhrak

Terrarian
Hey everyone :).

Many of us would love a small distraction of our daily grind, with a nice treat in return. So for this small distraction I would like to suggest a small minigame in Terraria; Treasure Hunts.

All monsters have a very small chance of dropping a Strange Orb. This orb, once worn as equipment, will indicate a distance. This orb will guide you to a special treasure chest, by only telling the distance between you and the chest. Finding the actual location is up to you.

At said location, a small 4x4 structure will be placed with an Ornamental chest, covered with gold stone bricks [To avoid crashes due to chest glitches]. The chest's contents vary from your usual items such as ores, equipment, potions, money, etc, to some very rare and ornamental rewards:
- Gold shining dye
- Old knight armour
- Old wizard's armour
- Old archer's armour
- Dragon wings
- A small skeletal dragon follower
This list is open for all suggestions. Everything on the rare rewards must be cosmetical, no new tiers of tools/armour/weapons

Each time you wear such an orb, it will cause its bound treasure chest to appear, and will remain there untill you found it. If you lose your orb, it will still be there, but you'll have to be on your own to find it somewhere in the massive world. Do note though, that there are two versions of the orb: an inactive orb, and an active orb. An inactive orb will cause a chest to spawn, and turn itself into an active orb during the process, to avoid an exploit of people summoning more chests with one and the same orb.

I like it! I would prefer it dropping from specific enemies though, but I don't really know which enemy so never mind.

It would be nice if we can have different orbs for different types of chests, like having a vanity orb or weapon orb or ore orb (that sounded weird. ore-b?).

That's a good idea, but the non special item reward is like a gold chest ? better ? how much ? and also what's the drop rate of the orb ?

@notjustinbailey Thank you for your feedback :). Yes a different variation of chests wouldn't be too bad, but it would make some things a bit complicated. I rather have one big pool of items that can be obtained from all chests, rather that you need a specific item pool.

@Makishima it's better than a gold chest, as they are much rarer. Your dedication for finding one should really pay off, in my opinion. The orbs are a one in 500 drop, though if it would be limited to specific monsters, such droprate can decrease easily.

This sounds great, except that it would require some major coding, as chests are currently only generated during worldgen.

Still, as usual, adding more RNG farming excuses to the game doesn't make it sound better to me, and I know I'm not alone in this. I would promptly ignore this feature if added, just like I've ignored fishing after I realized it was a huge bag of RNGception.

Actually, it isn't really that hard in coding, it's literally the same event as when you destroy a demon altar.

You set an event trigger, which is wearing an Inactive Orb. It sets a random undeground anchor, on which it'll place block 'x' on a 4x4 grid, of which in the middle it contains block 'y' which is your 2x2 chest block.

Though opinions may vary, while you may not really think you would do this, I think there would be other people that would still like this kind of distraction. Thanks for sharing your feedback anyhow ;).

I think it should be a drop from special enemy. Maybe a 100% drop from Tim ? Or a 50% drop from Dark Caster ? Or a 100% drop rate from Eye of Cthulhu. or just a 0,25% drop rate from all enemies except statue spawned enemies ? Because if it's droped by statue spawned enemies, 0,25% isn't a lot with statue farms.

AFAIK, Mobs from stattue farms don't drop anything, though I could be wrong there regarding the latest updates.

But I would rather say, the 'adventurous' enemies. Such as:
- Goblin Scout
- Runic mage
- 'Tim'
- The girl
- Undead miner

And other humanoid, with a MUCH lower drop rate:
- Zombies
- Skeletons
- Angry Bones

Back
Top Bottom