PC Try these steps before posting!

Kalle

Eye of Cthulhu
Well, since there are a lot of people with huge problems since the latest Terraria version I wrote with Soronity a little troubleshooting guide.
I'll post it here, because I don't want to quote the same steps in every thread.

*ALWAYS make sure your drivers are UP TO DATE, especially the graphical ones!*
*ALWAYS make sure your WINDOWS UPDATES are installed and there are no important ones missing!*

General problems - Multiplayer problems + Game crashes on startup?
1. Turn the firewall off.
2. Try running the game in compatability mode. Go to "*Drive*:\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria" right click choose properties. Then open the compatibility tab and change the settings.
3. Start the game.

.NET Framework Problems - Game crashes while playing/starting a server?
*Always make sure your game is not running, while you are doing this*

1. Close the game, deinstall XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 and restart the game. If that won't work do step 2.
2. Go to "*Drive*:\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria"
3. There are a few setups.
4. Run xnafx40_redist.
5. Run a dotNET Setup (depending whether you got 32- or 64-bit)
6. If that won't work do the next step.
7. Download and install the latest .NET Framework (4.5.2)
8. If that won't work reinstall Terraria.

How do I reinstall Terraria?
1. Deinstall Terraria on Steam, close Steam.
2. Go to "*Drive*:\Steam\steamapps\common" and delete the Terraria folder, if there is one.
3. Search with the explorer for remaining Terraria files, delete them.
4. Delete any files, which are interlinked with older Terraria versions, those might cause problems.
5. That includes deleting the files in "C:\Users\home\Documents\My Games\Terraria"
*HOWEVER this step will delete all of your worlds and your characters!*
4. Restart your PC
5. Reinstall Terraria on Steam.

Doing a clean boot
That's the point for people, who have tons of software on their PC, which could result in lower perfomance or crashes. It's also quite good to have a very low amount of programs running, that one can exclude no program/service interrupts the game.
1. Press the windows button + R.
2. Type "msconfig" in.
3. Go to the "services" tab and select "Hide all Microsoft services".
4. Press "Disable all".
5. Open the "Startup" tab and select "disable all".
6. Apply and restart.
7. Fixed something? Try reenabling the services/programs until you find the one, that causes the problems. Post it here.
8. Didn't work? Open msconfig and choose "normal system start".

Steam issue: "Please launch the game from your Steam client"

1. Task Manager.
2. Processes.
3. Right click on steam.
4. End Process tree.
5. Open steam.
6. Start Terraria.
7. PROFIT!

The cloud is not running stable yet! All thanks to @Xemgoa.

Thank you, Bridge! And I am glad I did!

I found the issue why there would be an eventual crash from playing Terraria for a while, and a crash when switching to a new character or world.

• By switching the Characters and Maps from "Move to cloud" to "Move off cloud", the crashes have all stopped.
It appears the Steam Cloud save transferring needs some more work, otherwise I can just play fine.

My best suggestion for the feature for the time being is:
  • Switch it on just when you want to transfer saves over, and make sure steam has enough time to sync with the cloud storage system before exiting the Steam Client.
  • When your over on the other computer you want, immediately switch the Characters and Maps from the selection screen to "Move off cloud" to avoid further crashes, you might crash now and then as your taking them off the cloud but it eliminates the problem.
I am not sure what the case it but it's like the Steam Cloud storage might be doing something to prevent change to current save files and map files.
Disabling the cloud could also fix Steam crashes!

Deleting the config file - FPS problems
I'm not 100% sure about this, but some players solved a problem with Terraria by deleting the config file in "C:\Users\home\Documents\My Games\Terraria". PLEASE BACKUP your file tho.

You got corrupted worlds/characters?
Try the solution from @Ghost Senpai to prevent that from happening! All thanks to Tacominion from reddit.
Hey, so sorry that happened to you aswell :( its sucks, but I started over and I am now using a custom scrip to backup my saves by myself and waaay more safe, have a look https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/1veszy/quick_and_dirty_save_backup/

Unspecified/Known problems
  • A lot of players reported, that their game works perfectly in singleplayer but they suffer from huge fps drops in multiplayer. It is irrelevant whether they are hosting or joining the server.
  • Some players reported a bug, where the whole Steam client is going to freeze and the game also crashes.
  • There is another problem with crashing due to XNA Framework 4.0/normal Framework, but we are not able to find a solution for it yet. (it apparently cannot be fixed with the solution above.
  • Some players reported a bug, where their world and character became corrupt, that resulted in crashing of the game/unplayability.
  • A player reported an issue, where his game crashed always at passing one point of the map. However if his friend was behind that point and he teleported to him it did not crash.
  • Some players (including me) reported that their game and the server are desyncing, which results for example in enemies that are teleporting.
  • A user had a problem that it happened, when he was hosting a multiplayer game by using TerrariaServer.exe and in one session one of his friends dc'ed, they weren't able to reconnect. He had to restart the server before they could. He WAS ABLE to fix it, however the fix does need some effort and there are no 100% provided that it will work.
I don't know if this could be considered a fix but I formatted my pc (Not because of this) and now the problem isn't happening anymore.
It's probable unrelated but just in case, I did it to replace brazillian portuguese windows 7 pro by window 7 ultimate in english. I also got most up to date drivers, I don't really know if the drivers I had before were outdated or not tho.

Please feel free to post, if your problem got solved with one of these steps. Give us information which problem you have had and which step might have fixed it.
Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Some players reported a bug, where the whole Steam client is going to freeze and the game also crashes.
So, basically if i have this problem there's nothing i can do about it or what do you mean by "Unspecified problems"

So, basically if i have this problem there's nothing i can do about it or what do you mean by "Unspecified problems"
Exactly what it stands for, I have not found any solution for it. Please try a clean boot, maybe that'll help. Also, when does it crash, beginning?

Exactly what it stands for, I have not found any solution for it. Please try a clean boot, maybe that'll help. Also, when does it crash, beginning?
Upon joining servers ( mine or others) or by clicking host & play ( i guess that also count as joining the server that gets created at that exact moment)
Just tried reinstalling and other stuff so i'm gonna try the clean boot then

EDIT: No luck, doesn't work with clean boot aswell, also noticed that when clicking "Exit" at the main menu it crashes ( not that its a problem if it does when i wana quit).

Last edited:
Upon joining servers ( mine or others) or by clicking host & play ( i guess that also count as joining the server that gets created at that exact moment)
Just tried reinstalling and other stuff so i'm gonna try the clean boot then

EDIT: No luck, doesn't work with clean boot aswell, also noticed that when clicking "Exit" at the main menu it crashes ( not that its a problem if it does when i wana quit).
Disable the cloud and do the framework steps.

So, you also tried Step 7 and 8?

Hmm, is there a Error message when it crashes?
If yes, show us please.

Hi! I've got the same prob these last days, whenever I play Terraria with a friend in his world and I exit, Terraria crashes with "Terraria.exe has stopped working" and in the log crash "Appcrash- Module failed: clr.dll". I've trying many things, as reinstalling, downloading .NET Framework...without succeed. In my case, I have a Dell Laptop (XPS-M1730) with 2 graphic cards and one of them was burnt since long time ago, so Im forced to use the another card. The solution of this problem came to this, opening the PC->device admin->Properties and there, select the graphic card I am using and search for an actualize for the driver. After this and restarting the PC, Terraria launches without issues and closes succesfully, without any problem (at least I've played like 2 hours and nothing happened).

Btw, my screen got now 2 black strips horizontally across the screen, it's a bit annoying but now I can play Terraria without bugs and without losing anything (for example, yesterday my friend and I discovered that if he uses the "Ice Rod", my Terraria automatically crashes and I lost so many things that he gave me :S).

I dont know if this works for everybody, or if anyone want to try this, but since I was desperate and the forums and people posted his solutions, I want to help too.
Sorry for my bad english, I hope this help.

Hi! I've got the same prob these last days, whenever I play Terraria with a friend in his world and I exit, Terraria crashes with "Terraria.exe has stopped working" and in the log crash "Appcrash- Module failed: clr.dll". I've trying many things, as reinstalling, downloading .NET Framework...without succeed. In my case, I have a Dell Laptop (XPS-M1730) with 2 graphic cards and one of them was burnt since long time ago, so Im forced to use the another card. The solution of this problem came to this, opening the PC->device admin->Properties and there, select the graphic card I am using and search for an actualize for the driver. After this and restarting the PC, Terraria launches without issues and closes succesfully, without any problem (at least I've played like 2 hours and nothing happened).

Btw, my screen got now 2 black strips horizontally across the screen, it's a bit annoying but now I can play Terraria without bugs and without losing anything (for example, yesterday my friend and I discovered that if he uses the "Ice Rod", my Terraria automatically crashes and I lost so many things that he gave me :S).

I dont know if this works for everybody, or if anyone want to try this, but since I was desperate and the forums and people posted his solutions, I want to help too.
Sorry for my bad english, I hope this help.
Thanks for sharing, I really appreciate that.

Praise the lord.
7. Download and install the latest .NET Framework (4.5.2)
Multiplayer is finaly working after this. Thank you good sir.

We just wrote the best Solutions we can share atm.

Theres still no solution for the Multiplayer Lag ^^

So I've been having this issue:

As soon as I start a game in single player (which is all I play right now) literally as soon as the world loads, I get one, two, maybe two and a half seconds of play and it shuts down. Like just force closes itself with no error message or anything.

I have made a thread about this with my PC specs and stuff that I could link you guys if you could help.

I'm gonna try doing a clean boot now but if That doesn't work I could really use you guys' help.

EDIT: Clean boot, deleted EVERYTHING Terraria-related and reinstalled Terraria, Reinstalled XNA and .Net Framework and still nothing.

Can't use XNA 4.5 or whatever because it's not available for XP QQ

BTW here's the thread that I made before coming here: http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...lose-with-no-error-message.24198/#post-601486

DOUBLE EDIT: By reinstalling XNA, .NET and by altering everything to the lowest setting, everything stayed the same, BUT, then I altered the Lighting to Trippy.

here's what happened: http://postimg.org/image/ken88i2x5/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom