PC Unknown error

Discussion in 'PC Technical Support' started by Clairvoyant, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Clairvoyant

Clairvoyant Terrarian

This error message is displayed now whenever I try booting up my world, this hasn't happened before ever so I don't know how to fix this.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

It happens to my main world but my other world can load normally.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  2. ManaUser

ManaUser The Destroyer

Well it says OutOfMemoryException... So my first thought would be that your computer needs more RAM. Do you know how much you've got?

This isn't a sure thing, sometimes error messages can be misleading, but might as well start with the obvious.

3. Clairvoyant

Clairvoyant Terrarian

How do I tell how much RAM I have? Like where do I go on my computer to see?

4. ManaUser

ManaUser The Destroyer

The exact details depend on what version of windows you have, but generally it's something like right-clicking "Computer" or "My computer" and selecting Properties. That'll give you an overview of your system spec, including memory/RAM.

5. Clairvoyant

Clairvoyant Terrarian

I am on windows 10 and I check through This PC and Properties and it doesn't seem to show anything about RAM.

6. ManaUser

ManaUser The Destroyer

Alright, try this then:
    Right-Click what used to be called the start menu.
    Select Run.
    Enter msinfo32.exe and click OK.

(I don't have a Windows 10 computer handy myself, but that's what the internet tells me is how you check.)

7. Clairvoyant

Clairvoyant Terrarian

Found it, I think.

[​IMG]

8. ManaUser

ManaUser The Destroyer

Well, good news and bad news.
    Good News: You have plenty of RAM.
    Bad News: I have no idea what the problem is.

Umm... So is it only the one world that causes this?

9. Clairvoyant

Clairvoyant Terrarian

Yeah, I have two worlds-- My main world is the only one that does it.

10. ManaUser

ManaUser The Destroyer

OK, so try this. If you go to Documents\My Games\Terraria\Worlds there should be files called your_world_name.wld and a your_world_name.wld.bak. See what happens if you rename the .wld file to .error (or anything) and .wld.bak file to just .wld. If it works this will restore a slightly older version of your world, hopefully without the error.

11. Clairvoyant

Clairvoyant Terrarian

Are you sure? I don't want something bad happening to the world, this wont ruin it right?

12. ManaUser

ManaUser The Destroyer

As long as you only rename the files (not delete anything), it shouldn't be possible to do any permanent damage. To be extra safe, you could make a backup copy of the files to your desktop or wherever before you do anything.