Weapons & Equip Upgraded Expert Items

Vessyl

Terrarian
Hey all! First post here, so if the format turns out to be terrible, I sincerely apologize!

Having started playing in 1.2.4, the only major update I have witnessed was, of course, the Expert Mode update, and I loved it! All the new items, challenges and bosses had me hooked for many an hour. I went in mostly spoiler-free, so every time I took out a boss, the expert drop was a surprise, and often ended up becoming a staple in my character's build. Each item is so unique that it's a shame the earlier drops tend to phase out with time (with the possible exception of the worm scarf). That got me thinking-what if there were a way to upgrade the expert drops in the endgame? A new item obtainable in a post-Moon Lord expert world would be used in varying quantities to craft a higher-tier expert item. This could make it stronger, more versatile, or perhaps just a lot more fun to use.

Any suggestions are welcome, as this is simply me brainstorming!

(And yes, all items will be named after the moon, real original, yadda yadda. Keep in mind these items will be post-moon lord expert mode, so they might seem quite good. If this seems to be an issue in any regard, feel free to let me know!)

Shield of Cthulhu Tier II - Lunar Reflection
Equipment
60 Damage
5 Defense
Insane Knockback
Send your foes to the moon!

Ok, so the upgrades are as follows: Base damage is doubled, defense is increased from 2 to 5. The knockback will be increased exponentially, enough to send most small enemies off screen. As well, you will be able to reflect projectiles by dashing into them, similarly to a Selenian. You would also be able to dash 20% more frequently than with the tier I shield. This should be enough to make this item a very powerful endgame tool, and the ability to reflect projectiles could mean even Terrarians with Solar Flare Armor would value the dash.

Royal Gel Tier II - Moonblinked Tear
Equipment
Slimes become protective.

This is a pretty simple one: Slimes will become immune to enemy damage, and will attack any monster in sight. They won't function any differently than regular slimes. They can still be killed by player damage and environmental damage, like lava.
This is more of a fun item than a viable one, as this is how I thought the gel would work when I first got it, and is kinda the reason I made this thread. It would turn the basic enemy into a pseudo-minion, and that is awesome.
King Slime and minions spawned from King Slime are unaffected, of course.

Worm Scarf Tier II - Moonbeam Shawl
Equipment
Reduces damage taken by 22%. Increases damage by 5%.

This simply adds an additional 5% damage resistance, taken straight from your enemies! I don't believe this boost allows your damage resistance to attain beyond 80% (which I think should be the absolute limit), let me know if this isn't the case. This item will become an even better tank item that lets you dish out that little bit more damage as well. Just an overall strong item.

Brain of Confusion Tier II - Moonblinked Mind
Equipment
30 Damage
May confuse nearby enemies after being struck. Weakened enemies may become friendly.

I'll admit, I've never actually used the Brain of Confusion before. My first expert run was in a corrupt world, and when I heard the brain sucked I never bothered to pick one up. This might make it a tad better, but because I've never seen it in action this might not be the best. The Brain will float above your head constantly while equipped, and will shoot a small, slow projectile that flies straight towards enemies, but will not go through walls. Note this effect is comparable to the Chlorophyte Armor set bonus. This projectile will have a 30% chance to confuse the target (quite a bit lower than its effect upon being struck). An enemy under 1/3rd health that is hit by the projectile will have a 20% chance of becoming friendly on top of the 30% chance to become confused.
After hitting you, an enemy under the 1/3rd health threshold will have a 30% chance to become friendly on top of the regular confuse bonus (which-upon research- is 60% + 0.4% per point of damage. When an enemy is below 1/3rd health, this will cap at 70% as the 30% chance to become friendly will hold priority over confusion).
This one is certainly subject to change, any brain connoisseurs are welcome to recommend other forms of upgrades. Bosses are immune to becoming friendly.

Bone Glove Tier II - Orbital Hurler
75 Throwing Damage
16% Critical Strike Chance
Strong Knockback
50% Chance not to consume bones
Throws bones into orbit!

This new-and-improved bone glove will throw bones much, much faster at a much higher power. After a bone strikes an enemy, it breaks into 4 fragments which litter the ground, damaging enemies that touch them. They will remain there until they hit 3 times or until 8 seconds pass.
It's a shame there isn't more throwing synergies, this one could be a lot cooler if there were. I'm fairly certain it's confirmed that throwing is going to remain a pretty small sub-class if I'm remembering correctly. That being said, this thing may need to be adjusted for power in either direction.

Hive Pack Tier II - Moonblinked Hive
Equipment
Greatly increases the strength of friendly bees and wasps. They become cursed with the unquenchable flame of vengeance.

So...that last line there is fancy-talk for 'inflicts the Cursed Flame debuff'. This will take the total damage the bees deal with the hive pack, and quadruple it. All bees spawned this way will be the larger version. Note that, unlike the hive pack, this will affect the Wasp Gun as well, however it will only double their damage. All bees and wasps will glow green from the flames, lighting up dark areas. This will, of course, inflict Cursed Flame 100% of the time when striking enemies that are affected by it, and will allow them to survive underwater.

Demon Heart Tier II - Lunar Core
Provides a buff to the accessory in the 6th slot

The Lunar Core is a consumable that provides a permanent buff to the 6th accessory slot-whatever item held within will be powered up. To avoid this feeling like just a permanent buff to the player as opposed to the items, some level of manipulation is required. Therefore, dependant on the category the item falls in, a different upgrade will apply.

For Combat Accessories (Such as Avenger Emblem or Flame Gauntlet): +10% Damage
For Movement Accessories (Such as Bundle of Balloons or Lightning Greaves): +20% Movement Speed while grounded
For Informational Accessories (Such as Compass or Sextant): Provides a red sparkle over sources of danger and a yellow sparkle over treasure
For Health and Mana Accessories (Such as Celestial Cuffs or Charm of Myths): Increases mana by 40 and health regeneration by 1.5/second.
For Construction Accessories (Such as Presserator or Architect Gizmo Pack): Increase tile placement range by 4
For Fishing Accessories (Notably the Angler Tackle Bag and its components): Fishing Power +15%
For Miscellaneous (Basically everything else): Increases maximum number of minions by 1.

I mostly went off of the categories from the Official Terraria Wiki, I just lumped Yoyos with Combat here. I'll add an FAQ section right around here if any accessories are unclear as to where they should be placed.
-Credit to Redstonetam15

Mechanical Cart Tier II - Moon Buggy
Equipable
Built for battle, built for speed!

Obtaining this could be done in two ways- either upgrading each of the three parts individually, or simply upgrading this cart. Each individual piece makes more sense to me, personally (Call them the Moon Wagon Piece, the Moon Wheel Piece, and Moon Battery Piece).
The tier II will increase max speed from 102 mph to 130 mph, total defense from travelling at high speeds will increase from 7 to 13, and the forward-firing laser will be able to shoot in any direction, dealing a base damage of 90 (increased from 60). Just a better minecart, otherwise.

Shiny Stone Tier II - Time-Space Distorter
Equipable
Greatly increases life regen when not moving. Slows time while moving.

Let's make something cool with this one! While standing still, it functions the same as a Shiny Stone. When moving, it will slow movement of non-player controlled entities by 50% within a 16x16 circle of the player. As long as at least one entity is under its effect, it will consume 10 mana per second. This affects enemies, NPCs and critters, but not Players or minions, making this a very useful investment for a Summoner.
-Credit to Huzbubber_Tum

Alright, that's all I got for now. Feel free to offer suggestions for the other expert drops, or any other improvements/changes/insulting my intelligence you can come up with, any criticism is welcome! Should a similar form of upgrading be implemented for other items? Let me know what you guys think, I'll try to update this regularly.

Last edited:
I really like this! The Time-Space distorted could probably use a little nerfing though, as it's a bit overpowered. Maybe it can be activated at the cost of mana and surrounds the player in a large circle? Otherwise though, support!

Yeah, that's not a bad idea! I'm not great at balancing this, as making it cost too little might mean very little to non-magic users, while too much could make its use with a magic set quite difficult. Whatever the case, you're probably right about its power, I'll make some changes to it.

Change the Lunar Core. I personally believe that 6 accessory slots are enough for Expert Mode. Maybe a buff to the accessory that is in the slot of the Demon Heart accessory slot?

Buff to the sixth slot...I like that! Only thing is, it should probably have several possible effects dependant on what sort of item is in there, or else it'll just feel like a permanent buff to the player, as opposed to having any cool equipment synergy. I'll think of possible ways to categorize items, and update as soon as I think of something good.

These are amazing and although I do like the buff to the 6th accessory slot there is another change I would like to make the the lunar core in comparison to the demon heart make it so unlike the demon heart the lunar core also allows the 6th accessory slot to bee used in non expert mode worlds

Yeah, I should really get around to that...I don't have a good idea for the spore sac and wasn't planning to do one for the moon lord drops, but any ideas are always welcome!

How bout making the upgraded gravity globe make it so u can click and hold your character and drag them around the screen I'm not sure what can bee done to the mount from duke fishrons shrimpy truffle or the light pet from the suspicious looking tentacle

I felt that since the globe and tentacle would be obtainable at roughly the same time, they would just be upgraded immediately by most people, so why bother having several tiers. As for the globe idea, it sounds pretty similar in function to the cosmic car key, if I get your meaning. If I had to make an upgrade for those two, I would probably alter the pet to provide the spelunker potion effect as opposed to the sparkle, and allow you to trigger the globe in midair as well, essentially granting you two useful potion effects as long as you have the two equipped.
Both of these ideas might be mostly irrelevant anyways. You won't have much mining to do at that stage of the game, and the globe is probably used almost exclusively for special playthroughs, where you don't plan to flip too often anyways.
As for the shrimpy truffle, I need to get around to looking up the stats of the mount. Soon as I get through an exam, I'll find time for that!

Back
Top Bottom