PC Using weapons with slimes

PapaBear

Empress of Light
@DicemanX had a posting a while ago (one I can't find at the moment) that piqued my interest since he mentioned that there was a way to half-submerge the player in a slime trap while still being able to use weapons. I didn't see any other details on this so I did some experiments and found two designs that do just that: one using teleporters and another without them. In either, a slime is hoiked into a cramped 2x1 trap just under the player's feet to give constant damage but the rest of the player is free to use weapons. Whoopie! You can now do all kinds of crazy stuff, even look death right in the eye...

x9FsaiL.png

In a later chat with @DicemanX he mentioned that @Tuxlar was the first to build a slime trap that allowed the player to shot weapons. Tuxlar's design used honey to float the slime up into position but this design uses hoiks. These builds are made on the shoulders of giants.

jc1geeI.png

tFiQLk6.png

To get situated, first flick the switch on the right to inactivate the 2 blocks, step into the area under the 2 blocks and grapple down ... if done correctly, the player will be facing left and his/her feet will at the same level as the 2 blocks (see the first picture). Now use the right switch again to active the blocks, which will hold in the slime. Finally throw the switch on the left to get a slime, which happens immediately with the teleporter version but could take a bit of time with the other. If the slime jumps out of the trap, that means the two blocks haven't been activated so throw that switch and try again.

This works both in normal and expert mode and should be usable on most events and just about any boss except the Moon Lord. The key is being able to get situated and getting a slime with damage priority before summoning the boss/event. Usually getting damage priority means summoning the slime when no other enemies are about.

A few additional notes:
1) the blocks around the 2x1 slime trap are fairly critical to contain the slime, especially that downward hoik tooth
(although a mirror image with the tooth on the left also works)
2) most of the time grappling will position the player into just the right position so he/she floats right above the trap
3) some armor kills the slime so, for instance, solar flare armor can't be used since it damages enemies periodically on contact
4) most minions, even ones that travel through blocks can be used with the exception of the stardust dragon
5) some weapons don't work as they reliably kill the slime-- this includes holy arrows and, of course, the horseman's blade
6) some weapons are usable but you need to be careful about not to point them "down" near the horizon-- an example of this is with the solar erruption, which can't be used reliably if it's about 45 degrees down
7) you can get a honey buff by setting up a 4x1 or wider chest-high pool but I usually don't bother with it since the actuated boxes can evaporate the honey with world restarts so might need periodic refilling (I usually just use one of the plentiful greater healing potions as needed)

EDIT 8/29/2019 - Switched from TinyPic image hosting to Imgur since TinyPic was shutting down.

Last edited:
Hiya Papa!

Another way to create the same active use slime invulnerability mechanism is to simply place two centerline down hoiking blocks over each other and trap the slime in the bottom one and the player in the top one. This would allow for a full range of use of your weapon, though I don't know what you would do if you accidently killed the slime.

Actually, on second thought, your way is much better.

Slimes are unreliable, so head over to this thread and check out some of the other invulnerability machines! (Shamelessly advertising it!)

Yes, slimes are definitely unreliable if they don't have or lose damage priority and, of course, if they accidentally die.

I have to say that some of those new builds are pretty ingenious. Now, if only they didn't shake my eyes out of their sockets.... :merchantconfused:

Yes, slimes are definitely unreliable if they don't have or lose damage priority and, of course, if they accidentally die.

I have to say that some of those new builds are pretty ingenious. Now, if only they didn't shake my eyes out of their sockets.... :merchantconfused:
LOL Yeah, that's a minor (not) easy to ignore downside. You could use the slime mount approach, that one isn't that scary (but totally unreliable, as soon as you accidentally punch one of the 2 target dummies, you are in trouble.) or...
Head over to the last page and be amazed! A unicorn to make you invincible! Woohoo! (Again, if you punch the dummies, you are in trouble...actually the slime mount one is better. :p)

Ask the devs to add an option to not make the camera fixed to the player or build it at the bottom/top of the map?

Back
Top Bottom