tModLoader Vanilla Crafting Stations Combined!

orangepecan

Terrarian
Hey guys, I'm working on a completely standalone mod that simply adds a nice QoL feature by introducing something along the lines of the Guide's Final Gift (Thorium) or the Crucible of the Cosmos (Fargo's), but as its own entity. The reason I'm doing this is because, while it's nice to have those available in those other mods, you don't necessarily want the overhead those mods introduce just for those QoL features, so having this as a standalone mod would be quite handy.

It currently works, although I'm going to be working on splitting it up into tiers (currently just one massive recipe) (thanks to @Sly09_fury for that idea!). It isn't on the mod browser yet because I don't do spriting! If someone wouldn't mind volunteering their talents for this project, it would be much appreciated and I think a great boon for the entire community.

My plan for tiering this is as such:

Early game (Novice's Workshop, Tooltip: Everyone has to start somewhere.):
Workbench, Furnace, Table, Chair, Sink, Cooking Pot @ Anvil <- early game essentials, with table and chair lumped in there

Pre-hardmode (Master Craftsman's Emporium, Tooltip: Contains the essentials for all aspiring artisans.):
Novice's Workshop + Hellforge, Sawmill, Loom, Heavy Workbench, Bookcase, Tinkerer's Workshop, Alchemy Table @ Demon Altar <- everything available pre-hardmode

Mid-hardmode (Chief Engineer's Laboratory, Tooltip: Incredibly complex, but capable of enabling truly wondrous workmanship.):
Master Craftsman's Emporium + Crystal Ball, Imbuing Station @ Mythril Anvil + Adamantite Forge <- pre-mech bosses

End-game (Atelier of the Heavens, Tooltip: Even the gods themselves marvel at the works that emerge from this device.):
Chief Engineer's Laboratory + Autohammer, Ancient Manipulator @ Ancient Manipulator

I don't think I'd want to add the truly optional stations (Solidifier, Sky Mill, etc.) to the main recipe, but that could become a separate entity entirely.

Also going to be adding some extra recipes as well. The only one currently would be the ability to convert wood to any other type of wood using a token system.

One other thing I would like to add: if you are using the Calamity mod, the Master Craftsman's Emporium will also absorb the Solidifier, Sky Mill and Ice Machine.

I'd really love to get this thing off the ground so if you're interested in helping out just PM me!

Last edited:
I would really love it if the autohammer was removed because my main problem with the crucible of the cosmos was that it needed an autohammer. I consider it an optional station since it is useless to any class other then ranged.

I would really love it if the autohammer was removed because my main problem with the crucible of the cosmos was that it needed an autohammer. I consider it an optional station since it is useless to any class other then ranged.

Hmm.. the Drill Containment Unit requires Shroomite Bars, which for vanilla mining is *the* premiere tool, combining excellent mining speed with mobility.

Aside from that, you're right. Tough call, this one.

Hmm.. the Drill Containment Unit requires Shroomite Bars, which for vanilla mining is *the* premiere tool, combining excellent mining speed with mobility.

Aside from that, you're right. Tough call, this one.
Yeah it's just annoying having to make a mushroom biome just for the crafting station but it's your mod so do what you like.

Sounds great!

My immediate thought for this is for either in the Novice's Workshop or Master Craftsman's Emporium (one of the first two) -- having a way to craft any/all items from any/all forms of wood, rather than needing a "living loom" separately, etc. As long as you have the right ingredients for each item of course.

Alternatively, a separate new crafting station that crafts items from any variety of wood would be fine too, made available some time before hardmode.

Yeah it's just annoying having to make a mushroom biome just for the crafting station but it's your mod so do what you like.

Such is the beauty of modding.. it's very, very easy to create two versions of the final station. One that uses the Autohammer, one that doesn't. :)

Sounds great!

My immediate thought for this is for either in the Novice's Workshop or Master Craftsman's Emporium (one of the first two) -- having a way to craft any/all items from any/all forms of wood, rather than needing a "living loom" separately, etc. As long as you have the right ingredients for each item of course.

Alternatively, a separate new crafting station that crafts items from any variety of wood would be fine too, made available some time before hardmode.

Hold on, what do you mean? I always assumed wood conversion was part of imkSushi's mod. Are you saying it's a vanilla thing?

Just checked the wiki and indeed, the Living Loom by itself does not enable wood conversion. That is a feature of imkSushi, and a great one at that.

Hold on, what do you mean? I always assumed wood conversion was part of imkSushi's mod. Are you saying it's a vanilla thing?

Just checked the wiki and indeed, the Living Loom by itself does not enable wood conversion. That is a feature of imkSushi, and a great one at that.
I'm well aware it's not a vanilla thing, which is why I suggested it here. o_O

Not to mention for various reasons many may not wish to use imkSushi's mod as it changes quite a bit around -- also it's incompatible with a few other larger mods I use.

I'm well aware it's not a vanilla thing, which is why I suggested it here. o_O

Not to mention for various reasons many may not wish to use imkSushi's mod as it changes quite a bit around -- also it's incompatible with a few other larger mods I use.

It would be extremely easy to add. I think I would want to include the Living Loom in the recipe though. Unless I decide to use a different crafting station for it. Maybe the Sawmill could be used for it? Seems to make sense.. :) Sawmill + Heavy Workbench. Yeah, let's go with that.

In order to simplify it I would probably add the ability to convert any wood to some kind of token, and then exchange said tokens to different types of wood. This would also make it easy to include recipes using different amounts of wood.

10 wood = 1 token

Then recipes for..

1 token for 10 wood
10 tokens for 100 wood
25 tokens for 250 wood
50 tokens for 500 wood

It would be extremely easy to add. I think I would want to include the Living Loom in the recipe though. Unless I decide to use a different crafting station for it. Maybe the Sawmill could be used for it? Seems to make sense.. :) Sawmill + Heavy Workbench. Yeah, let's go with that.
That sounds great!

edit: I notice you edited-in recipes for tokens after I first quoted you. Personally don't care for tokens, as that type of concept doesn't feel like Terraria anymore to me. Recipes should stay like they are in vanilla -- specific items get crafted directly into other specific items. But I still like the first part of what you said.

Last edited:
That sounds great!

edit: I notice you edited-in recipes for tokens after I first quoted you. Personally don't care for tokens, as that type of concept doesn't feel like Terraria anymore to me. Recipes should stay like they are in vanilla -- specific items get crafted directly into other specific items. But I still like the first part of what you said.

If I don't do it with tokens, then I'll have to make 25 recipes.. and that's just 1-for-1. And I hate the 1-for-1 recipes because it takes a long time to make huge stacks of things.

Anyways, maybe it would help if I explain the idea more thoroughly? At the Sawmill, you can turn any wood into "Wood Fibre", and using the Sawmill + Heavy Workbench, the Wood Fibre can be turned into any wood of your choosing. This lessens the amount of recipes I need to make, makes it much easier to create recipes that have multiple wood as the result, while still adhering to the spirit of the game IMO.

If I don't do it with tokens, then I'll have to make 25 recipes.. and that's just 1-for-1. And I hate the 1-for-1 recipes because it takes a long time to make huge stacks of things.

Anyways, maybe it would help if I explain the idea more thoroughly? At the Sawmill, you can turn any wood into "Wood Fibre", and using the Sawmill + Heavy Workbench, the Wood Fibre can be turned into any wood of your choosing. This lessens the amount of recipes I need to make, makes it much easier to create recipes that have multiple wood as the result, while still adhering to the spirit of the game IMO.
You mean wood fibre that can be used universally for all wood items instead of tokens?

If so, yeah I'd say that sounds like a great compromise.

You mean wood fibre that can be used universally for all wood items instead of tokens?

If so, yeah I'd say that sounds like a great compromise.

Now let me ask you this: how is this any different than a token system? In essence, it's the same thing, just using different names. :)

I'm going to go ahead with this either way because it makes my life a lot easier. I loved that imkSushi's mod allowed wood conversion, I just didn't much like the implementation because it was difficult to find the recipe you were looking for with all the crazy amount of them in the menu.

Now let me ask you this: how is this any different than a token system? In essence, it's the same thing, just using different names. :)
I disagree completely.

My answer -- it all comes down to what fits best into vanilla Terraria. A token system makes zero sense when it comes to crafting in this game. Like I said earlier, you take specific items and craft them into specific items. That's just how Terraria works. A token system on the other hand, simply waters-down/cheapens the experience and frankly just doesn't make sense.

It's as if you might as well just pay NPC's with your gold to craft any and all items for you, getting rid of actual crafting mechanics altogether -- they don't represent anything beyond being a generic currency. While tokens are certainly easier to manage, I think some management for crafting purposes is just a fundamental part of the core game. I recall you and I got into a similar discussion before on this in imkSushi's thread regarding the topic.

Wood fiber which is universal on the other hand, is far more appropriate to Terraria's style and gameplay mechanics. It makes perfect sense and fits great imo.

I'm going to go ahead with this either way because it makes my life a lot easier. I loved that imkSushi's mod allowed wood conversion, I just didn't much like the implementation because it was difficult to find the recipe you were looking for with all the crazy amount of them in the menu.
This is your project, so please do it either way you like -- just glad you're receptive to others' input/suggestions/opinions. And I completely agree with you here -- your mod really sounds appealing due to the fact it won't have the clutter of other mods. One thing I can't stand about vanilla is how many crafting stations there are, therefore simplifying the crafting process is always a good thing in my book. I look forward to seeing where this goes!

And it's funny how you and I always seem to get into arguments on this forum, but fortunately they always work out nicely/diplomatically in the end. :p

Last edited:
Funny, I don't really consider them arguments. Just two people with differing opinions having a civil discussion.

I liked imkSushi's token system because it just made things easier, but I can definitely see how it could break immersion for people. Having an item called "Wood Fibre" that makes other wood, as opposed to "Wood Token" just fits Terraria better from a semantics point of view, although they still do the exact same thing.

Anyways, I'll probably get started on the coding side of things for all these extras tomorrow. Really hoping to get some spriting help soon!

I really love the idea of adding the Table and Chair apart of the recipe for the Novice Workshop. Does that mean it will function as them as well?

As part of the Novice Workshop, you could include a Bottle in the recipe, so it functions as an alchemy station, while the later Master Craftsman's Emporium can use the Alchemy Table for the benefit of reduced ingredient usage chance. Just an idea I'm throwing out there. :)

I really love the idea of adding the Table and Chair apart of the recipe for the Novice Workshop. Does that mean it will function as them as well?

Yes. You can craft watches with it. :)

As part of the Novice Workshop, you could include a Bottle in the recipe, so it functions as an alchemy station, while the later Master Craftsman's Emporium can use the Alchemy Table for the benefit of reduced ingredient usage chance. Just an idea I'm throwing out there. :)

Unfortunately there seems to be an issue with Terraria where recipes that require a previous version of a crafting station do not honour upgraded versions. For example, all potions, which require "Placed Bottle", do not honour a modded station designated as an Alchemy Table. I'm not really sure why, but it seems that the devs hard coded the functionality of the previous versions of said crafting stations into the upgraded versions, instead of just having the upgraded versions inherit the previous version.

All this really means is that any recipes that required "Placed Bottle" will not benefit from the ingredient reduction of the Alchemy Table. The rest of the recipes in the game shouldn't be affected by this, as it's easy to just add the previous crafting stations into the modded one.

Back
Top Bottom