tModLoader Varia Mod: "Basically Agherium 2"

Are you ABSOLUTELY, COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY HYPED for this mod?

• I mean I wouldn't say THAT much but I'm pretty hyped.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh, I see potential but I don't know.

• I'm not hyped at all. (Please list your reasoning here)

• This mod looks like a giant pile of crap and you should quit life. (Please list your reasoning here)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ENNWAY

Terrarian
A long time ago, a plague closed in on the land of Terraria, causing the native race, Terrarians, to panic. Amidst the struggle, an angelic populace of winged pacifists named the Varians descended from the heavens and offered a place of refuge above the clouds. All was well and good for the following centuries, until one day a race named the Opirians asked to join. They were accepted, but soon enough they had inadvertently spread this plague to this new home, causing it to crumble... The Terrarians were not happy. So much so, in fact, that they threw the entire Opirian race in a dungeon. However now the Opirians are back with a vengeance...
Hello friends, and welcome to the official Terraria Community Forums post of the Varia Mod!

This mod has almost reached its RELEASED stage! This means it is on the Mod Browser, and will soon be out of beta.

The content that is currently implemented is
The Fallen Angel! Technically he's not actually an angel - he belongs to the Varian race - but those who know him still call him the Fallen Angel. His orbiting turrets are his claim to fame, though he keeps quite the arsenal of tactics up his sleeve, ranging from said turrets to electric force fields, and even shadows of himself!

The Cavity! The plague mentioned at the top of this article could in fact even infect stone. No one knew of it until someone came back to their village half-mutated and explained all of what happened before throwing up and attacking their family members. This biome does however have a silver-lining: Cacitian Ore. It might look soft, but it is extremely hardy and makes for great gear.

Nice Guy! He's here to... help.

The Spider Queen! An eternal famine has befallen the spiders and their Queen is out for food. Her venomous bite can be deadly, but her claim to fame is her agility.

The Soul of the Guide! As the Guide 's intention is to help you along your journey, it's second nature for him to give you a final test before proceeding with said expedition. This final test is the Soul of the Guide.

The Anomaly! Created by the Fallen Angel in an attempt to reprogram Skeletron Prime, the Anomaly lives in a delusion that everything is nice and nothing ever goes wrong, where in reality she is wreaking havoc everywhere she goes. If it is possible to snap her out of this confusion, one may be able to spare her life...

The Everlasting Breeze! Created by the Varians as a place of refuge for the Terrarians from the Cavity and then destroyed accidentally by the Opirians, the Everlasting Breeze is probably the most hospitable wasteland you'll ever find. No one lives there - not even hostile enemies - and the plague has died down, so you run no risk of infection there.

We are currently in need of:
-Nothing - but help is still appreciated!

Credits are as follows:
LEAD PROGRAMMER, MUSICIAN: Turquoise.
SECONDARY PROGRAMMER: qwerty3.14.
SPRITERS: Red, Moonburn, MoonlitWyvern, Sok, Schmizz, Koopahunter197, KittyKitCatCat, PhilCo, Five, Santer, JaceDaDorito, Eritoniac the Blue Storm, Cooper, v1tell, and Turquoise.

The official development team consists of:
-Turquoise.
-qwerty3.14.
-charliedebnam.
-Enreden.
-v1tell.

SPECIAL THANKS TO: GabeHasWon for the Cavity world generation, and YOU for being interested in this project! Seriously. Thank you all. I have come so far and it's 95% you guys. Thank you.

Attachments

• VARIA FORUM.png
    VARIA FORUM.png
    476.8 KB · Views: 2,081
  • FallenAngelPreview.png
    FallenAngelPreview.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 3,318
  • CavityPreview.png
    CavityPreview.png
    41 KB · Views: 3,450
Last edited:
I saw that the summon item for nice guy didn't really have a Sprite...

Here's my idea of what I think it might look like!

Well, an idea chart...

Attachments

• Untitled105.png
    Untitled105.png
    14 KB · Views: 992
Hey, I have some feedback. This is a cool mod but there are some grievances I have particularily with worldgen... Okay, entirely with worldgen.

Cavities are... WAY too common. Far too many generate especially in small worlds. Considering one cavity is enough to get lots of the ore and lots of the mutated blobs, and have absolutely nothing else of value in them, finding them literally all over the world is annoying as heck. Especially since the music seems to start before it's even on-screen and overwrites every other music track, and the enemies start spawning everywhere around you as soon as you get within a mile of one. Someone posted on the mod's OST for the cavity that they get unreasonably angry whenever they come across one. I've found my experience to be the same.
The music is great, but it gets a tad repetetive fast when you find them everywhere. Also, one generated in the middle of my ice biome, and another in the middle of my jungle, and one even overlaps the Underworld partially. they really need better generation restrictions. Additionally, they appear to turn any minecart tracks that go near them into stone for some inexplicable reason.

Good job turq, nice mod, and a good rework of agherium, that mod was yiiiikes, but still good, and this aplofies the good part. Keep it up!

Hey.

I'm interested in doing spritework for you.

I won't be able to do bosses and armors, but I'll gladly do untextured items and maybe ores.

I'm pretty new to making sprites, but I'd love to give it a try.

Huh... So in the latest version, in Multiplayer, the Soul Activator doesn't work. Boss sound, it doesn't get used up, and the Soul of the Guide doesn't spawn.
Dunno if this is the case in Singleplayer too.

Edit:
Even worse with Bug Attractant. Clicking it does nothing. Isn't used up, spiders aren't summoned, nothing. Is this a multiplayer issue or is this entire build of the mod just screwed beyond belief?

Edit 2:
Confirmed that Soul Activator works correctly in Singleplayer.
Bug Attractant still does not work at all, even in Singleplayer.

Last edited:
Edit:
Even worse with Bug Attractant. Clicking it does nothing. Isn't used up, spiders aren't summoned, nothing. Is this a multiplayer issue or is this entire build of the mod just screwed beyond belief?
Maybe, Turquoise appears to be working on another mod in his time away from the forums.

Maybe, Turquoise appears to be working on another mod in his time away from the forums.
Oh. I was wondering why he hadn't been here in a while.
Also huh... Another mod? I'm interested. Though admittedly a tad irked because there's becoming a trend of mod authors starting more and more mods while leaving their old ones to gather dust or in a less-than-ideal state but that's just me grumbling...

Oh. I was wondering why he hadn't been here in a while.
Also huh... Another mod? I'm interested. Though admittedly a tad irked because there's becoming a trend of mod authors starting more and more mods while leaving their old ones to gather dust or in a less-than-ideal state but that's just me grumbling...
That doesn't explain anything, with that logic visiting the forums pages takes days and isn't worth doing. (which obviously isn't true)
anyways his mod is called TurquoiseStuff on the browser, or it was back when I DL'd it.

Turquoise isn't a pro-forums user, he's kinda a lurker here, I've already noticed that well over a year ago. Original he was just a music composer thou and those usually don't get noticed on the forums sadly.

MOTHER OF FLYING FUDGE
Okay so, on a dedicated server, swinging the Trydadium or whatever Phaserapier even ONCE will cause a huge projectile line that never goes away to spawn, severely lagging everyone and causing massive server delay until the server is rebooted.

Also, on a slightly less severe note, even after beating a mechanical boss, the Unidentified Tech that you need to kill to spawn the Fallen Angel do not spawn at all, it seems. (Again on a server).

MOTHER OF FLYING FUDGE
Okay so, on a dedicated server, swinging the Trydadium or whatever Phaserapier even ONCE will cause a huge projectile line that never goes away to spawn, severely lagging everyone and causing massive server delay until the server is rebooted.

Also, on a slightly less severe note, even after beating a mechanical boss, the Unidentified Tech that you need to kill to spawn the Fallen Angel do not spawn at all, it seems. (Again on a server).
I think it's safe to say at this point, net compatibility is something pretty much most modders in terraria put on the way side because god damn, you've reported alot of problems across many different mods at this point.

Once again I wouldn't count on Turquoise even coming back to this let alone reading it on the forums.
I'd say he choose to ignore our feedback, since he's still active on the TMODLoader discord and he's not really well known on the forums (again, his choice)

oh, and there's this
8tdszbY.png

Oh boy, I sure do love force-induced Tremor-numbers when the author alone is responsible for the problems and chooses not to fix them, yup!
ok that's not a fair judgement Tremor is on a completely different level than this, but still it would explain why he made another mod which will likely have the same problems your having

I think it's safe to say at this point, net compatibility is something pretty much most modders in terraria put on the way side because god damn, you've reported alot of problems across many different mods at this point.

Once again I wouldn't count on Turquoise even coming back to this let alone reading it on the forums.
I'd say he choose to ignore our feedback, since he's still active on the TMODLoader discord and he's not really well known on the forums (again, his choice)

oh, and there's this
8tdszbY.png

Oh boy, I sure do love force-induced Tremor-numbers when the author alone is responsible for the problems and chooses not to fix them, yup!
ok that's not a fair judgement Tremor is on a completely different level than this, but still it would explain why he made another mod which will likely have the same problems your having
Let's please not turn this into a "Hate on Turquoise" thread, okay?
I'm not blaming him for any of these problems. It's in Beta, I expect problems. It's a good mod with a lot of fun concepts and well-implemented bosses, events, items, etc.
And as you said, many mods are giving Multiplayer issues, so this is pretty clearly not just on him.

And I'd moreso say he's probably not even checking this thread (and the forums, consequently) because it's so inactive. It doesn't even have a single page of replies yet, despite Varia having been a thing for at least 6 months, probably far longer. Nevermind that he has other obligations such as the other mod (which, eh... I'll try not to judge him for starting another mod while this one's still in Beta, lots of authors do it), his SEVERAL music projects, and probably a bunch of art projects too.

Let's please not turn this into a "Hate on Turquoise" thread, okay?
I'm not blaming him for any of these problems. It's in Beta, I expect problems. It's a good mod with a lot of fun concepts and well-implemented bosses, events, items, etc.
And as you said, many mods are giving Multiplayer issues, so this is pretty clearly not just on him.

And I'd moreso say he's probably not even checking this thread (and the forums, consequently) because it's so inactive. It doesn't even have a single page of replies yet, despite Varia having been a thing for at least 6 months, probably far longer. Nevermind that he has other obligations such as the other mod (which, eh... I'll try not to judge him for starting another mod while this one's still in Beta, lots of authors do it), his SEVERAL music projects, and probably a bunch of art projects too.
And my mod has alot of posts because of 1 guy spamming I know.
I'm aware this is a 2nd priority to him, I mean's mostly known as a composer rather than a stand up modder.
I'm not hating on anyone, it's called criticism, maybe a bit harsh, but it still is.

I seriously doubt the inactivity of this forum is reason enough to leave it, if he gave say: weekly updates he's gain alot more traction here.
And let me tell you, in the tf2 mapping scene, people "talking to themselves" in changelogs is all to common, with little to no forum feedback, and this gets even more difficult if your into MVM mapping.

I think my problem here comes with the fact that is talking down to his own mod, usually when authors do this it doesn't end up well.
When the creator dislikes what he made or the direction it went.
All reasons he could have started his next mod.

And above, no matter what you post, even if people don't respond, they're still reading what you wrote, and with that know that your project isn't dead.
The view count on the thread is living proof.

I think my problem here comes with the fact that is talking down to his own mod, usually when authors do this it doesn't end up well.
When the creator dislikes what he made or the direction it went.
I hope it doesn't affect him too badly though... As a creator myself I know how easy it is to get burnt out of your own creation, and end up feeling like it was a waste of time, broken and not worth fixing, or just downright bad. I know that self-deprecating talk all too well.
I just hope he doesn't get lost in that feeling. I've seen that happen to modders before, and it really doesn't end up well...
I know I've abandoned a fair few projects because of the very same mentality...

I hope it doesn't affect him too badly though... As a creator myself I know how easy it is to get burnt out of your own creation, and end up feeling like it was a waste of time, broken and not worth fixing, or just downright bad. I know that self-deprecating talk all too well.
I just hope he doesn't get lost in that feeling. I've seen that happen to modders before, and it really doesn't end up well...
I know I've abandoned a fair few projects because of the very same mentality...
ohh, oohohoho

I have been there, all too well.
If you check out my Profile activity, I talked about quiting tf2 mapping (and all content creation in general) because a project I put my soul into failed miserably and it left me devastated.
It took months to recover from that state, it was terrible.

And that's only recently! I'd rather not get into spending 15 years of my life with Serious Sam only for the community I loved to fall apart and die and the series to run amuk from it's former identity. Dreams were crushed man...

I don't think whatever he's putting up with is nearly as bad as I have... But I digress, I always hope people succeed when they are making content, for US.
They don't have to be doing this, they choose to do this, and I fully respect that, even if I don't show it at times.

As for myself, I have faith the same won't happen with SGAmod as there are people who want it to succeed, my spriters have put alot of work in so far and I'd be really sad to disappoint them.

Back
Top Bottom