Game Mechanics Warning Before Changing from Unreal/legendary/mythical

Honestly, there is no good excuse why we can't just pick our modifiers by now. Terraria is not an MMO, no matter what people seem to think. The idea of grinding in a game like this is plain silly. I would even go so far as to invoke a Minecraft comparison. In Minecraft you can enchant books with the bonuses you want. So why can't Terraria? (To say Minecraft does ___ better than Terraria is taken as an insult by many, and doing so should prove the silliness of the reforge system.)

My point, we are in 1.3 now. There are ways to farm unlimited money while being afk. (And afk farming isn't gameplay, it is an exploit to deal with a broken feature.) The reforge system is needlessly punishing to players who don't play all day. Especially when you consider that most weapons become obsolete in roughly an hour after obtaining. (Assuming you are moving forward with the game and not farming.) Nothing is a bigger slap in the face than finally getting the materials or drop for a weapon and have it come up Broken.

I will second that a warning should come up before reforging any max tier item (including menacing, lucky, warding, etc.) But, I wish to add a +1 and say that even if it is locked until after Moon Lord, players need to be given the ability to select the reforge of their choice with a proportional price tag.

Honestly, there is no good excuse why we can't just pick our modifiers by now.
I agree. It's insanely frustrating just having to click the reforge button and see your money drain away while that goblin is constantly giving you unwanted modifiers over and over again, especially with late game items. Reforging a Star Wrath or Meowmere is downright murderous. It's not a well thought out mechanic.

I feel the game should keep track of the modifiers as you keep reforging and make the chance of getting a duplicate modifier lower and lower while modifiers that you didn't see yet get a higher and higher chance as you keep wasting your money. At least this would limit the amount of money you waste, even when extremely unlucky.

Another thing I was thinking of is having an Enchanted Hammer drop from a late boss or have it craftable from pillar fragments and a smithing hammer (buyable from the merchant/goblin?). While carrying this Enchanted Hammer you'll get an extra option at the Goblin:
Terraria_Reforge.png

Clicking the enchanted hammer icon would basically make you pay 'x' times as much money than normal, but you'll get the item's best modifier in one try.
This'd still be based on luck when reforging accessories, but if the game would make sure you don't get the same modifier after reforging again you'd quickly get the modifier you want anyway.

I agree too,
manually changing modifiers would be so much yes.
I had an idea for the hammer,
You could buy a base hammer for 10 gold from the tinkerer. This hammer lets you do relatively basic buffs. As you progress, you can upgrade you hammer with materials you find to make it reforge better items for cheaper prices.

You set it to stop reforging at a specific modifier, and instead of looking via wiki or w/e it shows you which modifiers you can get, and/or you pick what stats you want from a set of priorities and it gets the best one according to that.

Tedious reforging bunch of times to realize a modifier doesn't exist for a certain type of weapon because of like no knockback or something, like, without wiki you wouldn't even know and you could waste so much money and after long enough you would just stop going for that modifier and never know if it actually exists or not.

I agree too,
manually changing modifiers would be so much yes.
I had an idea for the hammer,
You could buy a base hammer for 10 gold from the tinkerer. This hammer lets you do relatively basic buffs. As you progress, you can upgrade you hammer with materials you find to make it reforge better items for cheaper prices.

Maybe something like a crafting system, where you have to find certain resources to make certain modifiers would be good. It could be an alternative use for things like gold bars which are largely useless once you hit hardmode (and even a bit before).

This would be a major improvement to the game overall, basically Minecraft made it possible to choose their enchantments just to rub it in our faces, why not give a little retribution? Making it so we choose our modifiers. Wait... i have an idea... what if instead of having a random chance for modifiers, we can buy them with a list of all the modifiers from worst to best that we can afford, thennnnnn we click on the modifier we can afford(say, you can afford changing your Demonic Terra Blade, into a Legendary Terra Blade) then you bought it!

:O That would be amazing :eek:

Back
Top Bottom