Game Mechanics Weapon "priority"

Did I do good?

• Yea

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • If it had this, then yes. (Post in comments)

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Tetrahedron

Duke Fishron
Sorry if there's a wall of text, I wrote this on a phone

I came across this problem while fighting the pumpkin moon. I was using chlorophyte bullets, and instead of them hitting the pumpking, they would hit splinterlings instead.

I Suggest that homing and summoning weapons would prioritize. They would do this based on how far away the target is, and it's damage, health, and defence. The formula would look something like this.

(Target's defence+target's health+target's damage)-distance from player

The Enemy onscreen with the highest "priority rating" would be hit first

Bosses get a plus ten to their priority rating, and minibosses get a plus five.

This would be toggle able in the menu

Please write any suggestions in the comments!

You could just, you know, not use Chlorophyte bullets. I don't understand how you wouldn't be able to hit something that remains above you with any other bullet. Crystal are a much better choice for better damage, if not them then at least Ichor or Venom. On top of all of that, the velocity of bullets is generally pretty damn fast. Perhaps the only reason I see some people adoring Chlorophyte is so they can speed away on an Asphalt Bridge and just shoot in the general direction of a boss that is struggling to catch up.

An issue regarding the 'priority' changing is that the Player's personal priority is likely to change every moment. What's the point of killing a Paladin if there is a Sniper slashing your health bar and the Paladin isn't even able to attack? While you do suggest a 'toggle-able' option, I am sure some people will not know the dangers of this different setting until they are staring at their death screen trying to understand what went wrong, multiple times.

What if chlorophyte bullets home in on the enemy closest to your cursor? Instead of closest to yourself. You'd have to aim but the homing ability will land hits for when you'd normally miss. You could be standing next to a Gingerbread man but pointing 3 blocks away from an Ice Queen would home your bullets on her rather than the Gingerbread man.

EDIT: They would have to have some sort of pathing detection so they don't home in on an enemy that's on the other side of a wall, unless you shoot around it.

Last edited:
What if chlorophyte bullets home in on the enemy closest to your cursor? Instead of closest to yourself. You'd have to aim but the homing ability will land hits for when you'd normally miss. You could be standing next to a Gingerbread man but pointing 3 blocks away from an Ice Queen would home your bullets on her rather than the Gingerbread man.
I would support that

A few people already suggested really good targeting systems back on TO. I'd link it but it's probably buried under a mountain of bots

download (7).jpg

EDIT: They would have to have some sort of pathing detection so they don't home in on an enemy that's on the other side of a wall, unless you shoot around it.

I would support this as well.

Giving a priority to every enemy without making a system that does so dynamically sounds fun coding wise. It's not like there are 200 different npcs, righty?

On a side note, I support the idea in which they target the enemy closest to the mouse cursor. For once it doesn't make aiming completelly useless, nor it ruins the point of homing.

Last edited:
Giving a priority to every enemy without making a system that does so dynamically sounds fun coding wise. It's not like there are 200 different npcs, righty?

On a side note, I supposed the idea in which they target the enemy closest to the mouse cursor. For once it doesn't make aiming completelly useless, nor it ruins the point of homing.
I was just about to suggest that. You ninja'd me. o_O:)

You could just, you know, not use Chlorophyte bullets. I don't understand how you wouldn't be able to hit something that remains above you with any other bullet. Crystal are a much better choice for better damage, if not them then at least Ichor or Venom. On top of all of that, the velocity of bullets is generally pretty damn fast. Perhaps the only reason I see some people adoring Chlorophyte is so they can speed away on an Asphalt Bridge and just shoot in the general direction of a boss that is struggling to catch up.

An issue regarding the 'priority' changing is that the Player's personal priority is likely to change every moment. What's the point of killing a Paladin if there is a Sniper slashing your health bar and the Paladin isn't even able to attack? While you do suggest a 'toggle-able' option, I am sure some people will not know the dangers of this different setting until they are staring at their death screen trying to understand what went wrong, multiple times.
I wrote that it would be toggle able in the OP...

Back
Top Bottom