PC What height do Wyverns spawn at?

Darkscanner

Terrarian
I'm building a sky bridge on my large world and need to know how low it should be. So this seems like it should be common knowledge considering what a pain Wyverns are, but I've ran into some problems with the consistency of the information about them.

See, on terraria.wikia.com they say they spawn at 1000+ ft, on terraria.gamepedia.com they claim they spawn at 850+ ft, and in a forum thread from 2011 I found they claimed they spawn at 700+ ft no matter what the worlds size is. Deciding to stay on the safe side, I started building my bridge at 694 ft.

However after building for about a minute (without jumping) a Wyvern spawned. Which apparently means ... every source is wrong??

Can anyone confirm the actual spawn height?

I already built the bridge well below where space is (I'm trying to avoid them). Unless you're saying they won't spawn in space (which would be amazing), I'm afraid your post isn't much help to me. ):

Oh, i thought you were asking that you WANTED wyverns. you should be safe. they only appear in space.

You need to build the bridge quite a bit below the cut-off to Space. If you're anywhere near space, they can spawn off-screen above you and swoop down. This happens to me often. My base world is from 1.0.6.1 when the worlds used to be physically bigger by ~20 blocks on all sides. Wyverns used to wreak havoc during Blood Moons until their spawning was toned down.

Find the height at which Space starts for you and then head down like another screen's height-worth. Otherwise, I would recommend building the bridge wherever and use it to set up a skytrack for minecarts. I have one and use it for AFK fallen star farming. Mine carts can outrun wyverns as well. (At least the wooden minecart could in 1.2. Not sure about the speed of the default minecart in 1.3.) If you have other intended use for the bridge... Well, we could discuss that if that's the case.

Back
Top Bottom