What is going on with the UI?

Daak

Terrarian
Just a bit of history, I've been playing terraria on 360, ps3, wii-u and vita and loved the UI there. Just recently I tried mobile and it works for a touch screen but theres definitely a learning curve. I tried Terraria on PC with a mouse (Before there was controller support) and didnt like it at all. Then I learned that there was controller support for PC now so I'm trying the PC version again and assumed it would just have the console's UI while using a controller. I found out its some new UI that isnt nearly as user friendly as the original. You cant see recipes easily. Its takes like 6 button presses to get to the menu now. Jump is now L2?!? The UI is so bad for controllers on PC. So then I thought I'd get it for PS4 version because thats a dedicated console version that would for sure have the good UI. NOPE. It was actually changed from the consoles good UI to the PCs bad UI.

Can we please have the option for console UI on consoles and PC?? Its already exists, it just needs to be implemented...

You may want to check the what is available in the mod community because there are custom UI mods that may help playing on pc with controller to be more enjoyable. Back in the day, I started playing on console and tried terraria on PC with a controller and didn’t the UI either. Then I just switched to full mouse and keyboard and haven’t looked back.

Maybe I ask what's wrong with using the Keyboard and Mouse? I find it way superior to a controller for Terraria.

The short answer is I just dont like it.

The long answer is I dont play games with a mouse and keyboard because it doesnt feel like a game. I think of terraria as a 2D platformer so its like being asked to play super mario world with a keyboard vs a controller. I associate keyboard and mouse with productivity software and a controller with games and fun. Also, when I did my gaming with a mouse, I noticed the mouse buttons just die after a certain amount of time. Unless the microswitchs inside a mouse were redesigned recently to take billions of more clicks, they just arent designed for gaming. I just got tired of throwing away mouses over PC gaming. For diablo-style games, where there is no controller option, I'll actually use the mouse for pointing only then remap the mouse buttons to a controller so it doesnt wear out the mouse button. So I'll point with right hand and press a button on a controller under my left hand to attack. Now I'm wondering if I'm the only person to do this in history, lol.

The short answer is I just dont like it.

The long answer is I dont play games with a mouse and keyboard because it doesnt feel like a game. I think of terraria as a 2D platformer so its like being asked to play super mario world with a keyboard vs a controller. I associate keyboard and mouse with productivity software and a controller with games and fun. Also, when I did my gaming with a mouse, I noticed the mouse buttons just die after a certain amount of time. Unless the microswitchs inside a mouse were redesigned recently to take billions of more clicks, they just arent designed for gaming. I just got tired of throwing away mouses over PC gaming. For diablo-style games, where there is no controller option, I'll actually use the mouse for pointing only then remap the mouse buttons to a controller so it doesnt wear out the mouse button. So I'll point with right hand and press a button on a controller under my left hand to attack. Now I'm wondering if I'm the only person to do this in history, lol.
Terraria with a keyboard and mouse is the way to go, tbh. Being able to aim with pinpoint accuracy (and no, lock-on does NOT emulate this) makes playing every class much easier, and also being able to rebind the mana potion hotkey to literally anything is hilariously broken and probably should be nerfed, as it basically makes the mana flower do absolutely nothing if you're on PC.

Can you not change buttons aroumd on PC? I'm also a PlayStation player (PS3 & PS4), and it is really weird that the defauls jump button was changed from X to L2.

Can you not change buttons aroumd on PC? I'm also a PlayStation player (PS3 & PS4), and it is really weird that the defauls jump button was changed from X to L2.
You totally can, the button is right next to the one for changing keyboard.

When I used to play on PS3 I found that having the jump assigned to a shoulder button is much better as it allows you to fully aim while jumping/flying.

Back
Top Bottom