PC What qualifies as "needing Tim's hat"?

macks2008🌳

Terrarian
If I have his hat in my piggy bank for safe, does that count towards lowering Tim's spawn rate? What about social equipment slots? How do I get him to stop appearing!? Within the course of 2 in-game days, he's appeared twice. Yes, twice. It's quickly becoming rather annoying, since I don't actually need his hat, I'm not even near hell yet, and I have to deal with an NPC using caster AI.
Also, have you guys considered using some other conditions to detect whether the player would be remotely likely to use the low-on-the-technology-tree hat? Anyone wearing molten armor (or better), such as myself, likely won't want a hat that only gives, what, 2 defense, regardless of the magic bonuses, right?

Anyway, this is quickly becoming a suggestion rather than a question, so let me cut myself off here before I give the moderators even more information to work through when deciding where to put this.

In order to make Tim spawn more often, you need to be wearing a jeweled robe (Amethyst, Topaz, Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby, or Diamond) in your primary non-vanity armor slot, and you must not have a Wizard Hat equipped in your primary non-vanity headgear slot. If you meet these criteria, his local spawn chance is about 1:50 (2%) instead of 1:200 (0.5%).

Also leaning toward suggestion -- doing banner hunting currently, I'd like to see similar mechanics for other rare NPCs (Rune Wizard, Pinky, Lost Girl, Doctor Bones, The Groom, Moth in particular) to augment the respective spawn rates in a similar fashion. They obtainable but IMHO way too grindy.

In order to make Tim spawn more often, you need to be wearing a jeweled robe (Amethyst, Topaz, Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby, or Diamond) in your primary non-vanity armor slot, and you must not have a Wizard Hat equipped in your primary non-vanity headgear slot. If you meet these criteria, his local spawn chance is about 1:50 (2%) instead of 1:200 (0.5%).

Also leaning toward suggestion -- doing banner hunting currently, I'd like to see similar mechanics for other rare NPCs (Rune Wizard, Pinky, Lost Girl, Doctor Bones, The Groom, Moth in particular) to augment the respective spawn rates in a similar fashion. They obtainable but IMHO way too grindy.
I don't want him to spawn more often, I want to stop him from spawning so frequently...

I don't want him to spawn more often, I want to stop him from spawning so frequently...

You can't really lower his spawn rate further without using Peace Candles or moving NPCs nearby, which would generally suppress local spawning. The lower 0.5% rate is the default spawn rate, and doing anything with your inventory won't make it any lower. Twice in two days is nowhere near frequent.

As I've been trying to make clear to you, I think he's spawning more because the game thinks I need his hat. all I want to know is how to make the game recognize I don't need the hat (so he goes back to his much less absurd spawn rate, the one he used regardless of the hat pre-1.3), and if Re-Logic plans to refine the definition of "needng Tim's hat"

Spawning twice over two days is the lower spawn rate. I just finished grinding for a Tim Banner, and wearing an Emerald Robe in my equipment shirt slot and I was able to take on 4-5 per day. The game only "thinks" you need his hat if you're wearing the robe but not wearing that hat which raises the spawn rate -- that's all there is to it. He's still going to spawn occasionally regardless, so I'm really not sure what the problem is. If you're not equipped to fight him, then dodge and avoid him if he shows up.

I guess the problem was that I noticed an increase in Tim's spawn rate when I first started exploring the caverns in 1.3, and assumed 1.3 was the cause. The seemingly ridiculous spawn rate seems to have calmed down now, so for now I'll assume it was just the Random Number Gnome. If the insanity comes back, I may put in a suggestion to adjust it, because it's a bit high of a spawn rate for an entity that gives you an item with stack size=1 every time it dies. My inventory is always full on its own accord, I don't need help!

Woooo we are banner buddies ^-^ That would actually be quite nice to see. For pinky the item in question could be the royal gel although this limits it to expert mode :/ still though, I would not mind that :p

Back
Top Bottom