Why is it that the devs allow the Steam discussions for Terraria to run rampant?

We on the Forum Moderation Staff don't directly oversee the discussions on Steam. We can only control what happens here on the Forums of TCF.

If by chaos you mean how there are discussions that would normally not be allowed here on the Forums is what I'm guessing you're asking. I'm not completely sure to what our policies on the Steam Discussions are in terms of what Discussion is/isn't allowed so I will call @Tunnel King @Loki @Safeman who may be able to give a more official answer to how we handle the Steam Discussions of Terraria.

We on the Forum Moderation Staff don't directly oversee the discussions on Steam. We can only control what happens here on the Forums of TCF.

If by chaos you mean how there are discussions that would normally not be allowed here on the Forums is what I'm guessing you're asking. I'm not completely sure to what our policies on the Steam Discussions are in terms of what Discussion is/isn't allowed so I will call @Tunnel King @Loki @Safeman who may be able to give a more official answer to how we handle the Steam Discussions of Terraria.
Supposedly game devs can moderate or appoint someone to moderate their games discussions, but Relogic does neither of those things so it's basically just a big 'rule free' zone.

Like I said: because there is nobody to moderate the discussions, nobody follows the rules. There are a handful of decent players who post hookup threads or questions pertaining to the game, but the rest is just meaningless spam put up to incite arguments or cause needless drama. There's even a thread asking for a copy of the game on the front page atm, which blatantly goes against the rules.

Like I said: because there is nobody to moderate the discussions, nobody follows the rules. There are a handful of decent players who post hookup threads or questions pertaining to the game, but the rest is just meaningless spam put up to incite arguments or cause needless drama. There's even a thread asking for a copy of the game on the front page atm, which blatantly goes against the rules.
Against which rules? If it's a violation of Steam rules, report it to them.

The rules of this forum (TCF) apply only to this forum. They do not apply to anywhere else.

As far as I can tell, there are two "steam" forums for Terraria.

1. http://steamcommunity.com/app/105600#scrollTop=0
  2. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1132
Which one are you referring to?
Sorry, I'm talking about the discussions section of http://steamcommunity.com/app/105600#scrollTop=0. I've never used the other forums; didn't think they were still active to be completely honest. I wasn't meaning that they are breaking the rules of this forum, rather they're breaking Steam's rules as well as the pinned rules thread in the discussions. Afaik there's no way to report something directly to Steam there, aside from reporting a person's profile, but that does nothing because discussions are meant to be moderated by a game's devs or their appointed moderators; Steam themselves won't touch them.

Last edited:
There's really no way for you to connect someone's Steam profile to an account here; *I* can see if someone linked their Steam account, but that's about it. Reporting someone here for something posted outside of TCF is not going to help.

We'll make some inquiries and see what we can reasonably do, but this forum is completely separate from the Steam community discussions. We (TCF forum staff) can't enforce TCF rules there. Plus, TCF encompasses not only Steam users, but GOG users, as well as console and mobile players.

There's really no way for you to connect someone's Steam profile to an account here; *I* can see if someone linked their Steam account, but that's about it. Reporting someone here for something posted outside of TCF is not going to help.

We'll make some inquiries and see what we can reasonably do, but this forum is completely separate from the Steam community discussions. We (TCF forum staff) can't enforce TCF rules there. Plus, TCF encompasses not only Steam users, but GOG users, as well as console and mobile players.
I wasn't saying that I reported somebody here for something somewhere else. This thread was more meant to find out as to why nobody moderates the forum in question. I just thought this would be the place to ask about it. I apologize if it's not.
Still, at this point I'd appreciate anything that could be done.

You do bring up a fair point, and I don't have an immediate answer for your question. Someone should be monitoring/moderating that, and I don't know who that is.

We will follow up this and report back what we can find. That's the best answer that I have for right now.

Afaik there's no way to report something directly to Steam there, aside from reporting a person's profile, but that does nothing because discussions are meant to be moderated by a game's devs or their appointed moderators; Steam themselves won't touch them.
Just to weigh in a bit here...

If you report anything within the forum, it shows up in a hidden "Reported Posts" forum that all moderators can see. (Dev Appointed moderators and Steam Global moderators)

You should always report violations. If a global moderator visits the forum, they will visit the Reported Posts forum and attempt to deal with things on a case by case basis. But Steam Global moderators are not as common as people think they are and they're not tasked with following any 1 game. It would be very easy for any game forum to go unnoticed by Global Mods. So depending on how long things have been neglected... that forum could be pretty flooded.

It is always more manageable if the development team has their own moderators in place to oversee the daily traffic. If you think things are getting really out of hand though, you should report it and bring it to the attention of a Steam Mod: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/moderators and as a last resort, maybe even seek help through Steam Support: https://help.steampowered.com/en/

Or Re-Logic could put their own team in place.

It's not just Steam's Terraria Discussion forum. It's a mess in all their forums.
Just keep away from that tarpit, it's what I do. It's no better than YouTube commenting. *shiver*
Dude theres like so many forums where you get :red:ing TORN APART for doing ANYTHING.

Minecraft Forums : Suggested that bookshelves should be slightly cheaper and triggered about 2 dozen MC :red:boys.

Youtube Comments : Commented on a video about something that hadn't been answered at the current point I had watched up to and got furious replies from about 5 different people.

and the steam forums are just a mess of spam and disorganization.

the terraria forums is the only safe place

It's total chaos over there and nobody from Steam will do anything about it. Do they just not care?

They can say whatever they want about the game on other forums.

Why does it seem to bother you so much? I mean, i checked out the Forum you were talking about and theres not much to be upset about, just a few negative opinions and that is inevitable. If its a Fanboy thing, that's a you problem, mate. Just look the other way.

They can say whatever they want about the game on other forums.

Why does it seem to bother you so much? I mean, i checked out the Forum you were talking about and theres not much to be upset about, just a few negative opinions and that is inevitable. If its a Fanboy thing, that's a you problem, mate. Just look the other way.
no he means its actually total chaos theres basically like no moderation or anything

Back
Top Bottom