Wintershard's creations.

Glimmerstone

Terrarian
I'm rather new to these forums, and I am in awe at some of the things I've seen from others here. Nevertheless I'd like to share what I've made so far. Any comments/criticisms are appreciated, I'm always trying to improve the designs.

The Dark Shard (my personal space vessel)
8q7nEU6.png

The Nexus Shard (a ground fortress that's used as a base of operations during my adventures on this world. I've used TEdit to make the world look a little alien and strange)
wo9t6UV.png

A Manifested Shard. There are multiples of these across the world (this is the Desert one), which can be reached through the Nexus teleporters. One can open up a whole side to exit through, or just the windows if you want to use it as a foxhole.
ILOMlAF.png

Thoughts/comments?

Nice builds, especially the Dark Shard (if a little overkill, but who cares). Ever noticed how almost every spaceship build ever is faced to the right?

Nice builds, especially the Dark Shard (if a little overkill, but who cares). Ever noticed how almost every spaceship build ever is faced to the right?

Hehe, thanks. xD And yep, it might be a brain thing. I wonder if left-handed folks would be more inclined to face them to the left.

But yep I might have made a mistake trying to cram everything into one ship, lol.

Hehe, thanks. xD And yep, it might be a brain thing. I wonder if left-handed folks would be more inclined to face them to the left.

But yep I might have made a mistake trying to cram everything into one ship, lol.
It's not that it's cramped, it's that it's stupidly huge. Even with a crew one can't imagine this giant flying under the organised command of one man, it's not the SS Enterprise.
I know of left-handed builders nd they also build them to the right. Hm.

It's not that it's cramped, it's that it's stupidly huge. Even with a crew one can't imagine this giant flying under the organised command of one man, it's not the SS Enterprise.
I know of left-handed builders nd they also build them to the right. Hm.

Ah, I'm not sure then.

The ship is meant to be a blending of magic and technology, controlled entirely through the will of a master sorcerer. Partly why I made it so sparkly, plus I wanted to make it stand out from a traditional spaceship like the Enterprise.

Had to build something using that new Crystal furniture, so I figured, what better place than a giant crystal formation?. Ended up using the following picture as a reference, and this is what I came up with. As always any and all critiques are appreciated. The trees are not my design, while everything else is.
rZ2xYMw.png

KG5dcDS.png

This is your best build so far. Now I'm really hoping you one day provide a world download.
The only problems I can find are that part of the furniture doesn't match the colour scheme of the entire build, and that the build is in a way trying to be both a little and very asymmetrical. Kinda odd, but I guess it works for ya.

This is your best build so far. Now I'm really hoping you one day provide a world download.
The only problems I can find are that part of the furniture doesn't match the colour scheme of the entire build, and that the build is in a way trying to be both a little and very asymmetrical. Kinda odd, but I guess it works for ya.

Yup I was finding a way to keep some of the crystal furniture unpainted, since I find that set beautiful and wanted to preserve its beauty in some fashion. xD

As far as being asymmetrical, I tried to make the outside as symmetrical as possible while being a bit more loose with the inside. The little bit I added to the right was because I was having issues with monsters jumping out of line of fire and getting stuck (that little room is my foxhole where I shoot arrows from).

Can you tell me how to upload a map? I'd be glad to provide the file but I'm not sure how.

Thanks, your comments are very much appreciated. :)

Yup I was finding a way to keep some of the crystal furniture unpainted, since I find that set beautiful and wanted to preserve its beauty in some fashion. xD

As far as being asymmetrical, I tried to make the outside as symmetrical as possible while being a bit more loose with the inside. The little bit I added to the right was because I was having issues with monsters jumping out of line of fire and getting stuck (that little room is my foxhole where I shoot arrows from).

Can you tell me how to upload a map? I'd be glad to provide the file but I'm not sure how.
There is a setting in the camera mode, "open map". Just hover over each button for text and you'll see it. Try not to take too large snapshots or the Upload File feature here won't handle them. I tried uploading my entire cloud village and it barely worked.
The thing about your crystals is...they aren't quite random. The trick to building an amazing crystal house is making it structurally...odd. Not proper rectangles in a crystal shaped building - one giant crystal, folding and cracking itself into rooms, and windows, and doors. Look at a fractal (an example. search "fractal" or "fractal crystal" and have a scroll), for reference. The thing breaks into itself, into tinier versions of itself. That's hard, building a fractal house. You just have to make a crystal house, which is just breaking into different shapes - each different.
And yes you could reason your rectangular rooms with the fact that the "crystal structure" of metallic elements (oh, Chemistry classes what a pain you are) are, well, crystal, and rectangular and interlocked in that fashion. But it doesn't suit the outer layer...which shouldn't even be seen as an outer layer. It all has to be a twisted/broken thing, not just the outside. So try better mate. You're going well.

Thanks, your comments are very much appreciated. :)
I'm really just glad to provide valuable feedback to a builder that has potential to become truly great. Like, Aurora server VIP zone great.
I've been told I won't ever create anything and will only criticise others. If that is the case then I intend to make good come out of it.

The thing about your crystals is...they aren't quite random. The trick to building an amazing crystal house is making it structurally...odd. Not proper rectangles in a crystal shaped building - one giant crystal, folding and cracking itself into rooms, and windows, and doors. Look at a fractal (an example. search "fractal" or "fractal crystal" and have a scroll), for reference. The thing breaks into itself, into tinier versions of itself. That's hard, building a fractal house. You just have to make a crystal house, which is just breaking into different shapes - each different.
And yes you could reason your rectangular rooms with the fact that the "crystal structure" of metallic elements (oh, Chemistry classes what a pain you are) are, well, crystal, and rectangular and interlocked in that fashion. But it doesn't suit the outer layer...which shouldn't even be seen as an outer layer. It all has to be a twisted/broken thing, not just the outside. So try better mate. You're going well.

Ah yeah, that's a good point! Didn't think of that. I will try to randomize things a bit more. Plus this will give me a good excuse to add more pointy bits throughout the complex. Makes sense considering this is the base of someone with "Wintershard" in his name. xD

I'm really just glad to provide valuable feedback to a builder that has potential to become truly great. Like, Aurora server VIP zone great.
I've been told I won't ever create anything and will only criticise others. If that is the case then I intend to make good come out of it.

I appreciate those words. :) Already have a few other projects in mind to keep going with!

Just a small update; I'm attempting to surround my character's haven with a "Crystal Forest Biome" of sorts. Been playing around with different blocks and effects trying to come up with a good look. Definitely open to suggestions on this.

XlhGF4C.png

Crafted from a piece of the shattered world that was once his home, the summoner Kreivos created this eldritch place through magic to serve as both vessel and sanctuary through which to wage his personal war against the cosmic evil that destroyed his world. Powered by five enchanted elemental crystals, which each give it life and function in their own unique ways, Kreivos rides this chunk of rock throughout the stars in search of knowledge, power and adventure.

Welcome to Summoner's Sanctum, probably my most adventurous build yet. Success, or absolute failure? You decide.

If anyone's familiar with World of Warcraft, I was aiming for a "Dark Dalaran" kind of theme. Over the months of looking at people's builds here I've taken a lot of inspiration. If any part of this place looks like it might have come from one of your creations, it might very well have.

As always, any tips/comments/criticisms are appreciated.

This is where folks would typically approach the sanctuary. The landing, in a sense. Three of the elemental crystals are located here.
VD0Y6I3.png
Invaders must first struggle through this bastion of defense, where Kreivos summons and leads his forces into battle. For the framework I took from Nerd Parade's "Expert Summoner Moon Lord Farm" and reconstructed it to suit this place. The golem statues can be activated with a switch from the protected bunker up top.
vyJ4pIJ.png
The base of the main tower, wrenched from the dark stone itself. I attempted to make the base look "rough" as to make it look like the tower was grown from the very stone. Also featured, a greenhouse aided by the power of Earth Crystal. Also featured is the protected vault, as well as the Void Crystal.
AsM4oDT.png

FhiAHGH.png
Climbing the tower into Kreivos' personal quarters. The stone is more evenly smoothed out and decorated the higher you climb.
BjM0uA6.png
The top of the tower, where the summoner's personal sanctuary lies. Scores of arcane knowledge and power can be found here for those who get this far. The crystal placed at the very top draws energy from all five elemental crystals, and can be used as a weapon during dire times. This act however would draw from the magical shield that normally protects the sanctum, which leaves it vulnerable during those periods.
undUsJS.png
Underground, guests of Kreivos' home can stay here at the inn. Food and warm beds are offered to those who call the summoner friend.
1yCdsnp.png
With the power of the fire and water crystals, a workshop is maintained here for all your crafting needs. The various goings-on of the sanctum are kept organized in the office next door, which also provides an escape route should it be necessary.
pugXTep.png

Just a small one this time around.

Kreivos' adventure begins here, in the frozen wastes. A small military detachment sent by the nearby kingdom has set up an encampment here. The King suspects a great evil rising from the lands beyond, and sent his forces to investigate. Already they find themselves besieged by the bitter cold and strange creatures. Kreivos lends his magic to aid the soldiers in their fight. There's more to this land than meets the eye however, and the frozen plains beyond await exploration.

I started a new game recently with the intent of starting (mostly) from scratch. I've never tackled Expert Mode before and want to give it a serious go from the very beginning. I created this small military camp to use as a starting point to begin the quest, and entered the world with only vanity clothes and the standard copper equipment.

nCkOJxk.png

Just a small update; I'm attempting to surround my character's haven with a "Crystal Forest Biome" of sorts. Been playing around with different blocks and effects trying to come up with a good look. Definitely open to suggestions on this.

XlhGF4C.png
To avoid the nasty edges you get when making curved patterns with walls, like here, you could place blocks around the curves and actuate them. I suggest you play around with the concept first cause if you do it wrong it'll be very wrong.
Try letting that water stream run, not just drop into a crack in the ground. If you do cracks in the ground in the future they could look natural. Maybe an explosion happened? Maybe a worm dug in a lil' bit?
You could sorta cut into a couple pieces the bulk on top, and, idk, add gemspark or again granite (I think that's granite wall there?) walls to connect the bits. Like a cookie filled with chocolate, and you crack it and the chocolate fills the cracks.

For the wizard's sanctum, try painting things. It should make at least the smoke more interesting. And...did you really try to add details here? There's just a whole lot of unchanging walls and ground in the sanctum. Variety makes stuff interesting, and details are an important part. Otherwise if you ignore the story (that could become a legit story for a map if you try) it just looks...dull. It could be volcanoes spewing out glass swords. Who knows?
Basically, same as last time. Cracks!

To avoid the nasty edges you get when making curved patterns with walls, like here, you could place blocks around the curves and actuate them. I suggest you play around with the concept first cause if you do it wrong it'll be very wrong.
Try letting that water stream run, not just drop into a crack in the ground. If you do cracks in the ground in the future they could look natural. Maybe an explosion happened? Maybe a worm dug in a lil' bit?
You could sorta cut into a couple pieces the bulk on top, and, idk, add gemspark or again granite (I think that's granite wall there?) walls to connect the bits. Like a cookie filled with chocolate, and you crack it and the chocolate fills the cracks.

It's been a while since I posted about that but I have since decided to devote to Wintershard Haven as my main project. The little monument you commented on is actually gone as well; for the most part I was only trying to experiment with different little effects to make the area complete. It's since been replaced with this. xD

(Disclaimer: The tree design is not mine, it belongs to Khaios. I simply repainted and rearranged some blocks. I honestly never thought I'd ever find a good use for Negative Paint. xD)
RKPhLvs.png

Ultimately, my goal is to make something similar to Crystalsong Forest, my favorite zone in World of Warcraft. Not super exact, as I want to be able to call it my own creation, but this is sort of the jist of what I'm going for.

Sey1Yzk.jpg

As always your comments and suggestions are appreciated, Arlwis. :)

Okay that build is the closest you've gotten to a crystal so far. Have you thought of also hollowing out the trunk at the top and then filling the walls with a shining white wall or something? Or maybe just have white appear in the branches and the tree like it's the skeleton and the crystal...crystallised around it? Maybe Diamond Gemspark Wall?
There are two different looks of trees I see in the WoW picture. There's one with a purple core - which you're not trying to mimic obviously. You're going for the other one, the shining white one, and in that case you need a light source that runs through every branch of the tree.
...also you could have just plopped the Stardust Monument in the root section that's been overrun by fungi. Mushrooms suit the Monuments.
Also, I'm curious - how'd you make those tents? Is it a new item? I thought they were only background structures. Third party world editing software?
The Haven, yeah. That could use *cough-cough* details *cough-cough*

Also, I'm curious - how'd you make those tents? Is it a new item? I thought they were only background structures. Third party world editing software?
The Haven, yeah. That could use *cough-cough* details *cough-cough*

Yup, I used TEdit for the tents. That's just a side thing I made on a different world though. Was trying a run-through on Expert mode for the first time and wanted to dress up my little "starting base". xD

My main project, Wintershard Haven, is the world where you'd find the treehouse and the crystal structure I posted above. That's the world I'm mainly trying to flesh out.

To enter Wintershard Haven, travelers must pass through a cavern pass of a mountain peak that serves as a natural gateway into the grove. While the mountain looks rather normal from the outside, inside is a far different story. There is not much danger if one follows the torches and sticks to the main path of these Crystal Caverns, but other more dangerous paths into the bowels of the earth await the more adventurous among you.

A standard fantasy cliche, but one I happen to really love. These glittering caves are what divide my land from the rest of the game world. One of the downward paths will eventually include a Hellevator.
71Dqxt4.png

Back
Top Bottom