WIP: Attempt at an alien biome

mathcrab

Terrarian
The build is in a mushroom biome, but Terraria's camera system didn't want to cooperate with the background, so there's a full-view ugly version and a couple of detailed in-game ones.
with background 1.png

with background 2.png

with background 3.png

no background.png

Built out of a painted glowing mushroom biome, painted. Has some Hallow inspiration, what with the crystal shards growing out of the earth and the mineral trees, but I'd like to get some jungle themed flora in there as well, to make it feel more lush and alien. Still experimenting with new plants.
The void between the two trees bothers me. I was thinking of building some kind of spaceship in the middle, but I prefer the tribal, secluded feel of the current housing. I may just build a magically hovering island there.
I haven't found any alien planet builds that particularly struck me, but if anyone else has some kind of inspiration, I'd appreciate it.

Built a floating island in the middle, predictably. Tungsten makes for an interesting looking bark, and changing the color of the grass around the blue trees makes them particularly striking. There's a windblown little hut, damp and flooded, tree roots twisting through the ceiling. I built it while it was raining, and the ambiance with the water drips sounds amazing.
proper screenshot.jpg

On a sidenote, this area is a nightmare to navigate without rod of discord. Definitely not practical.

Last edited:
you may wanna use steam's screenshot function, turn off the GUI with f11 and take a screenshot with f12

Replaced the horrendously ugly tree on the left side of the area with a peculiar sort of granite sequoia mushroom that happens to be growing its own little ecosystem on its surface.
I realized that what with mushroom biomes being perpetually dark, I could secretly light up anything I wanted using shadow-painted mushroom lamps. They're basically invisible!
tree 1.jpg

tree 2.jpg

tree 3.jpg

I'm thinking of making a whole forest of these further left, time consuming as it may be, and placing snow on the ground so that "spores" fall from the sky.

Back
Top Bottom